Console² 0.9 - not showing in Firefox Tools menu

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
MikeCorbeil

Console² 0.9 - not showing in Firefox Tools menu

Post by MikeCorbeil »

Hello, everyone.

I just noticed today that neither the Error Console nor Console² 0.9 appear in the Firefox Tools menu, so would like to know how to get these to appear there so that they can be run or launched from there. How can we do that?

With a little searching using "console" for search term in about:config I found some parameters in their that have "console" in the names and that the letter J can be used to open an error console. It didn't indicate what keys to use along with J, but I tried CTRL+J, CTRL+ALT+J, and then finally got the console displayed with CTRL+Shift+J. Simultaneously, I saw we're supposed to be able to open a Java console or error console using the letter O, but none of the combinations tried with CTRL, ALT and Shift worked.

Selecting Java Console in the Firefox Tools menu doesn't do anything, nothing noticeable anyway.

So, can someone here help with the resolution of these problems, svp?
flaneurb

Re: Console² 0.9 - not showing in Firefox Tools menu

Post by flaneurb »

Mike, they're under Tools, Web Developer.
Zoolcar9

Post by Zoolcar9 »

My Firefox information | Add-ons | GitHub

"With great power, comes great desire to show it off."
MikeCorbeil

Post by MikeCorbeil »

flaneurb,

Being "under Tools, Web Developer" doesn't do me any good, for I'm doing a full-time BSc in CS and definitely don't have time for debugging Firefox extensions. So I guess the best thing will just be to follow the alternative, say, instructions provided by the developer or developers of the add-on and which state that I could look into XMarks, while another option is to export bookmarks in the Firefox profile, for that will include the TMT folder and subfolders. I wanted to copy the whole bookmarks file to the Linux platform anyway and was only concerned that maybe I'ld lose the TMT folder and subfolders, .... That apparently doesn't happen, so I'm ok at least in this respect.

It'ld definitely be great to have TMT fully functioning with Ffx in Linux as it does in MS Windows, but at least I can still quickly select TMT folders or rows to save tabs of opened Web pages to. It's easy to open the bookmarks manager to add, move, rename, and modify the contents of TMT subfolders; just that it's very convenient when we can save them to file without needing to save ALL of the bookmarks we have in Ffx.

Zoolcar9,

I'll thank both of you for trying to help, but as already stated, I don't have time to debug any extensions made for Ffx or anything else made by others. School is definitely much more important.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

For future reference: Help > Firefox Help > search for "Keyboard Shortcuts": http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Key ... &e=es&as=s

The shortcut is also displayed right in the Web Developer menu. All Web Development-related stuff moved there during Firefox 4.0 upgrade.

Java Console is an extension that Java installs that is only for Java developers, you can disable it via the Addons Manager.

I'm assuming the rest of your comments are related to some other conversation elsewhere.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
MikeCorbeil

Post by MikeCorbeil »

patrickjdempsey wrote:For future reference: ... (snip)

Java Console is an extension that Java installs that is only for Java developers, you can disable it via the Addons Manager.

I'm assuming the rest of your comments are related to some other conversation elsewhere.

Thanks for telling me what the java console is for, but my main concern is Console² 0.9, not being able to

And, actually, looking over my Firefox Tools menu just now, I see that the Web Developer submenu is there, though disabled it yesterday, due to lack of time to learning about the add-on more than what I read of it when first installing it. Time is the critical factor; lacking time. The add-on was disabled yesterday, so the submenu shouldn't be appearing in the Tools menu, but it's very possible that I didn't reboot after disabling this extension and a few others I retained (in disabled state) after eliminating quite a few others, yesterday. (I usually don't power off the PC at night.)

Anyway, I'm not finding the console of Console² 0.9 in the Tools menu, though was able to bring up some console using CTRL+Shift+J. It's a console with "Error Console" in the title bar and JS, CSS, XML, Chrome, Content and Resource (Z) for buttons; plus ALL and X buttons, an Options menu to click on and which drops down a list of options, plus an Evaluate bar, as well as a Search field. Nothing indicates what add-on this error console is from; like, f.e., nothing stating the name of the add-on that provides this error console. So I don't know what it's from. Meanwhile, in the Firefox Tools menu there's the Java Console that can be launched or opened and it specifically says "Java Console".

If this other error menu I just listed the features of, besides the inner window (or whatever it's called) that shows many CSS errors for URLS, plus some additional errors, warnings or whatever they are, is from Console², then the title bar would ideally include the name "Console²". "Error Console" is far too much a generic name.

Also, my other comments have nothing to do with any conversations anywhere except in this thread. I've posted about the problem or problems in the reviews section for downloading the "Console² 0.9" extension and wrote to the developer(s), but this thread is not based on anyone else's posts.
patrickjdempsey

MikeCorbeil wrote:Thanks for telling me what the java console is for, but my main concern is Console² 0.9, not being able to

... to what? Still not sure what your problem is.

MikeCorbeil wrote:And, actually, looking over my Firefox Tools menu just now, I see that the Web Developer submenu is there, though disabled it yesterday, due to lack of time to learning about the add-on more than what I read of it when first installing it. Time is the critical factor; lacking time. The add-on was disabled yesterday, so the submenu shouldn't be appearing in the Tools menu, but it's very possible that I didn't reboot after disabling this extension and a few others I retained (in disabled state) after eliminating quite a few others, yesterday. (I usually don't power off the PC at night.)

I think you may be confusing the *extension* "Web Developer" with the "Web Developer" sub-menu which ships default with Firefox and contains the default developer tools like Web Console, Error Console, View Page Source, Inspect, and Scratchpad. Extensions that are related to development like DOM Inspector may also appear in this submenu now instead of the root Tools menu.

MikeCorbeil wrote:Anyway, I'm not finding the console of Console² 0.9 in the Tools menu, though was able to bring up some console using CTRL+Shift+J.

Firefox ships with an Error Console... Console^2 *modifies* the default Error Console so it doesn't add it's own menuitem and doesn't change the shortcut. There is no indicator of any difference between the default Error Console and Console^2 until you have it open and see the slightly different layout. And like I said, the Java Console is just part of the Java development toolkit and you can disable it... I have no idea why they even install it by default, seems stupid to me.

MikeCorbeil wrote:Also, my other comments have nothing to do with any conversations anywhere except in this thread.

I have no idea what TMT even is, or what it or Xmarks has to do with Console^2.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Console² has a toolbar button. Open the Firefox customize window and drag the C2 button on to any toolbar.

Some screenshots are here: http://console2.mozdev.org/screenshots.html

Phil
MikeCorbeil

Post by MikeCorbeil »

Philip Chee wrote:Console² has a toolbar button. Open the Firefox customize window and drag the C2 button on to any toolbar.

Some screenshots are here: http://console2.mozdev.org/screenshots.html

Phil

Thanks Phil! Based on the screenshots, I won't need to add the toolbar button for C2; because, the "Error Console" I got by choosing that option in the Firefox Tools menu is clearly the C2 one, after all. If it was called Console² in the Tools menu, then this thread would've never been created; but, the name in the Tools menu is only "Error Console", hence this thread's creation.

Thanks again.
MikeCorbeil

Post by MikeCorbeil »

patrickjdempsey wrote:
MikeCorbeil wrote:Thanks for telling me what the java console is for, but my main concern is Console² 0.9, not being able to

... to what? Still not sure what your problem is.

It's stated in the first post I made. See Philip Chee's reply following yours, for he clearly understood enough of what my first post says to be able to tell me of another way to open the Console2 error console.

I think you may be confusing the *extension* "Web Developer" with the "Web Developer" sub-menu which ships default with Firefox and contains the default developer tools like Web Console, Error Console, View Page Source, Inspect, and Scratchpad. Extensions that are related to development like DOM Inspector may also appear in this submenu now instead of the root Tools menu.

I clearly was confused about that, and thanks for the information.

I have no idea what TMT even is, or what it or Xmarks has to do with Console^2.

TMT is the TooManyTabs extension for Firefox, and it's quite handy.
patrickjdempsey

Glad you got it sorted... it's a lot to take in moving up from 3.6!
MikeCorbeil

Post by MikeCorbeil »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Glad you got it sorted... it's a lot to take in moving up from 3.6!

You say that you're upgrading from Firefox 3.6, and over the past couple or few months i keep seeing references to Ffx 5 and 6, as well as sometimes 4. I haven't had any problems with remaining up to date with Firefox versions, so I guess it's safe to say that there's nothing you need to worry about for upgrading.
patrickjdempsey

LOL... I've been running development builds for ages, no problems here. ;) Just speaking of the confusion you've had with the Web Developer menu.
MikeCorbeil

Post by MikeCorbeil »

patrickjdempsey wrote:LOL... I've been running development builds for ages, no problems here. ;) Just speaking of the confusion you've had with the Web Developer menu.

Oh, well, that clarifies things more for me. I had installed the Web Developer add-on some months ago when first coming across it at addons.mozilla.org. The description of it and the review sort of ratings that appeared for it made it seem like an extension that would be worth installing for potential future use; not that I had any immediate need for it, but by having it installed, and then disabling it, this would be a potentially useful reminder about it in the future. And I didn't know anything about the Web Developer that installs with Firefox; not having time for learning everything about every app. I make use of, esp. not now that I'm full-time studies for a CSc degree. Nevertheless, I never had the habit of learning everything about apps I use; only learning what I need to know about them, nothing more.

Thanks for letting me know that these are two very distinct Web Developer tools.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Just to give some background. Console² is meant to be a "drop in replacement for the built in Error Console, so it takes over all the menu items and keyboard shortcuts (hopefully). A toolbar button is also provided for your convenience.

Also for those who have just upgraded to 10 from 3.6:
http://mike.kaply.com/2012/02/13/making-firefox-10-more-like-firefox-3-6/

Phil