Send message error (possible abuse - Yahoo)

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
tackes

Send message error (possible abuse - Yahoo)

Post by tackes »

This morning I attempted to respond to an email, and I got a send message error. I attempted to write a new email, and I got the same error message.

An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: Transaction failed : Cannot send
message due to possible abuse; please visit http://postmaster.yahoo.com/abuse_smtp.html for
more information. Please check the message and try again.

Sending of message failed.
The message could not be sent because the connection to SMTP server smtp.mail.yahoo.com was
lost in the middle of the transaction. Try again or contact your network administrator.

Any help solving this would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Daifne on March 10th, 2012, 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed subject to more accurately describe the problem
DanRaisch

Re: Send message error

Post by DanRaisch »

You'll have to check with the postmaster at the link included in the first error message. The error is not one from Thunderbird itself but from the server. Something is leading them to believe that your account is being (or has been) used to send spam.

Do you have an HTML signature included in your profile? If so, try removing it to see if the message can be sent without that signature. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Signatures_%2 ... ture_files
tackes

Post by tackes »

I can send and receive emails just fine from my Yahoo account within Yahoo. I can receive emails in Thunderbird. I can't send emails in Thunderbird.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're using a different server when sending with Thunderbird, so being able to send through their web mail page is not relevant here.
FrankSmith

Post by FrankSmith »

Here is the same problem starting this morning (Saturday 3/10)
An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: Transaction failed : Cannot send
message due to possible abuse; please visit http://postmaster.yahoo.com/abuse_smtp.html for
more information. Please check the message and try again.

Now here is where it gets interesting.
I have three laptops with Thunderbird..... Only one of them produces this error message
All running with the same SMTP settings.

I can send email using my iPod with the same SMTP settings (smtp.att.Yahoo.com)
Also can send email from my Nook Tablet.

One computer out of all these has the problem.
JohnnyO

Post by JohnnyO »

I am having the same problem but in my case I can receive email and send email but can not forward emails. Every time I try to forward and email I get the Send Message Error.
I have tried a number of times and from different accounts but get the error each time. I am told is should clear after 24 hours and was due to large numbers of emails but I did not send large numbers.
tackes

Post by tackes »

I'm so fed up with Yahoo mail. This is not the first time this has happened. I've decided to switch to Gmail.
SusanJoM

Post by SusanJoM »

Same problem here.
Going to the link provided is useless.
Going directly to Yahoo Mail I can send messages just fine.
It feels like a Thunderbird-Yahoo interface problem, but I will be interested to see what anyone else discovers to enable my using Thunderbird again.
keith_h

Post by keith_h »

I am currently having the same problem; when I try to send email via my yahoo account, server returns message "An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: Transaction failed : Cannot send message due to possible abuse; please visit http://postmaster.yahoo.com/abuse_smtp.html for more information. Please check the message and try again."

Has anyone resolved this problem?
tackes

Post by tackes »

I contacted Yahoo this morning and had an extended online chat with them. The problem wasn't resolved. They told me to contact the Yahoo "postmaster", which I did. The problem still wasn't resolved. I'm moving to Gmail.
FixItNow

Post by FixItNow »

I was able to send mail by making the following change but this is not a solution.

Update - when changing format of message to plain text only, the messages were sent...

[OPTIONS] [PLAIN TEXT ONLY]
Chris-W

Post by Chris-W »

Same issue here as of this morning whilst using a btinternet smtp server.

Oddly it's only affecting one account in Thunderbird - other accounts work fine.
cscasi

Post by cscasi »

I had the same problem (same alert message) this morning, as did my wife's email. Unable to resolve it or find out anything about it. AT&T was unable to help me; said it was a Mozilla Thunderbird problem. Finally paid AT&T Connect Tech to help ($49) and the tech was unable to resolve. He said it appears to be a Yahoo server problem; to wait a day or two and see if it resolves. Well, after half an hour with him and then going back on to the emails, it did clear up and everything is working normally now. So, Yahoo must have had server problems. I see several of you have reported the same problem. I have never seen this alert message before. But, everything works properly now so I am thankful for that. I just paid $49 to find it was a server problem and nothing I could do about it.
SusanJoM

Post by SusanJoM »

Well, maybe paying $49 did do something.
Mine still isn't working, and I'm certainly not gonna pay $ 49....
I guess I will have to use Yahoo Mail for now.

Post by Guest »

same message here

Transaction failed : Cannot send message due to possible abuse; please visit http://postmaster.yahoo.com/abuse_smtp.html for more information.

started today for no reason--TB must be compromised