Send message error (possible abuse - Yahoo)

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
sewsable

Re: Send message error (possible abuse - Yahoo)

Post by sewsable »

Well, the fix appeared to have worked, but is now not working and I've had to go back to text only; so frustrating!
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Charles218,
You have a different problem. This topic is about sending problems with Yahoo, not receiving (POP is ONLY for receiving). Please start a new topic for your problem.
jwsel

Post by jwsel »

I'm in Southern California, using an old sbcglobal.net domain and AT&T dsl, not U-Verse. I've had the same problem, though I can send with plain text. I spoke with AT&T customer service and was read the same outage notice someone mentioned -- that there is an issue with Thunderbird 10.0.2.

This looks to me like an AT&T issue, since Thunderbird worked fine with html until sometime on Friday. I'm frustrated by AT&T's seeming indifference to the issue. I was told to wait two days and see if things work then.
Guest 102

Post by Guest 102 »

I found the problem existed if you were replying to an email. If you deleted the original message the problem went away, although at the same time the thread was lost.
AnotherJohnl

Post by AnotherJohnl »

You can send html from a Yahoo email using Thunderbird if you use Gmail's smtp server instead of Yahoo's. Add your Yahoo email address as a "Reply to" address.

In "Account settings" highlight the account name.
Change the Outgoing server to Gmail's smtp server.
If you don't have a Gmail account, you can set one up easily. It is much quicker than waiting for a reply from Yahoo's help.

Again, this is another solution that is not perfect.
kt70

Post by kt70 »

I began having this problem with sending mail 2-3 days ago, exactly as described by RichCT. Tonight my husband reported it has started happening to him, as well, on his his laptop. Googling it, I discovered info that I think applies to this situation, but gives bad news about the resolution; it's a little bit over my head, but I think they are saying that, during transmission, a hacker is intercepting our messages and adding their own "prefix" which renegotiates the transmission and messes it up. Here are a couple of links--1)http://lwn.net/Articles/362234/ 2) http://www.g-sec.lu/practicaltls.pdf Read page 25 of #2 for the sad conclusion to the matter. Basically, it sounds like there is nothing we can do about it and no one else is doing anything about it either! Disabling html may work, but it's not something that I want to do. Not excited about having to switch to Gmail's smtp server and use a "Reply to" address either. Very confusing for my clients...
bpindar

Post by bpindar »

a clue

I have the TB add-on Stationery 0.7.8 that lets me view/edit the HTML of the email I am composing.

The default HTML of a blank message is
[html]
[head][/head][body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000"][br][/body]
[/html]

(square brackets replace the angle brackets)

If I remove the bgcolor="#FFFFFF" tag or the text="#000000" tag, or both, the email is not rejected by Yahoo. I can compose any email then remove one of the tags, and the email is not rejected by Yahoo.
Essex Man

Post by Essex Man »

The plain text workaround seems to overcome the issue, but since I don't want to be limited to plain text I've switched our two PCs to using Outlook Express and Windows Mail respectively.

Since Thunderbird has not, as far as I know, issued an upgrade in the past couple of days it must be down to something that Yahoo has done. But as it's only apparently a problem with the Thunderbird interface, fixing it may not be a priority for Yahoo. I think Mozilla should take the initiative here under the circumstances. A couple of years ago a conflict arose between Zone Alarm and Windows, such that ZA users could not access the internet. Microsoft caused it, but guess who hurriedly issued an update to fix it ..... yes, Zone Alarm of course.

Switching to gmail is an option, but I do have reservations about Google's snooping powers and tendencies once it has an ID and password from you.

The two technical explanations offered below are no doubt very sage but I'm afraid they are far beyond my ability to comprehend. I am fatalistic in that if you use the internet you do put yourself at some risk, and there's only a limited amount you can do about it. But then that applies to most human activities
bpindar

Post by bpindar »

change the background color to yellow (or anything but white, like #fffffe) and the email goes through
tuppers51

Post by tuppers51 »

bpindar wrote:change the background color to yellow (or anything but white, like #fffffe) and the email goes through

Just tried this and it works. How do you come up with something like this!!?? The same message but with a normal white background failed.
mikeos1

Re: Send message error

Post by mikeos1 »

JohnnyO wrote:I am having the same problem but in my case I can receive email and send email but can not forward emails. Every time I try to forward and email I get the Send Message Error.
I have tried a number of times and from different accounts but get the error each time. I am told is should clear after 24 hours and was due to large numbers of emails but I did not send large numbers.

With me, I can draft new emails as normal but cannot reply to emails or forward them. However, if I paste the contents of the message into a plain text file, then copy and paste, I can then send, and forward.
mikeos1

Post by mikeos1 »

bpindar wrote:change the background color to yellow (or anything but white, like #fffffe) and the email goes through

It works! Thanks for the tip.
Bob_is_not_happy

Post by Bob_is_not_happy »

I just spent some time on ATT support Chat.

First I sent them the link to this thread.

They wanted to confirm my server settings. I told them that plain text e-mail sent fine.

They said they have limited knowledge of T-Bird. I said that T-Bird wasn't the problem. It hasn't been updated recently and Yahoo changed something in their SMTP message filtering to cause this.

They asked if i wanted to connect to paid support. I said that according to this thread they would be of no help. This is a documented problem with Yahoo and they need to make Yahoo fix this. I also stated that given the choice between Yahoo and T-Bird I will choose T-Bird. They answered that they don't like to hear of their customers being unhappy and that they will pass along my complaint to management.
Charles218

Post by Charles218 »

Daifne wrote:Charles218,
You have a different problem. This topic is about sending problems with Yahoo, not receiving (POP is ONLY for receiving). Please start a new topic for your problem.

Actually I have the same problem, just the lack of expertise to understand how all of this works. I saw the error message and assumed that it was related.
Charles Larkins
cscasi

Post by cscasi »

My wife and I experienced the same problem yesterday (seem my post yesterday). However in the afternoon everything started working normally as far as being able to forward email without getting that annoying alert, so I said, hooray! Yahoo got the server issue(s) fixed. Well, here I am this morning and IT'S BACK! Yahoo must be experiencing some major issue(s) with its servers which those of us using 'att.net', use.
Again,
I had AT&T's Connect Tech look at the issue yesterday (cost me $54) only to learn it was nothing with Thunderbird or anything else he could see except that there was most like a Yahoo server issue. Why we got that alert, he did not know except it had something to do with a server issue.
I guess all one can do is wait and hope Yahoo gets it fixed or migrate to another email provider that does not use Yahoo servers; like Gmail.
The only other thing people can do is go to Yahoo and report the issue