Session Expired error

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
foubevin

Session Expired error

Post by foubevin »

Hi,

I have a different kind of problem.

Whenever I try to login the website http://www.tnvat.gov.in/indexnew.aspx , using Firefox after updating to ver 10.0.2, my session gets expired. I'm unable to login only in FF 10 onwards. Earlier I was able to log in. (Note: This kind of problem happens only in this website. All other websites allow me to login and logout)

However, I'm able to login thru Internet Explorer, Chrome and using a New Profile in Firefox. I dont want to lose my plugins, extensions and bookmarks due to a new profile.

The following is the cookie stored by the website:

Name:ASP.NET_SessionId
Content: g4zale4510cv0o55zlclrx45opy9xz0CIqSqjOQ9+X6F3pFJ7RM=
Host: www.tnvat.gov.in
Path: /
Send For: Any type of Connection
Expires: At end of session

I tried the following:
1. Ensuring cookies is enabled for all websites (including third party websites and kept until expiry) and further ensuring that the site is not in the block list.
2. Clearing my entire history and deleting all cookies.
3. Opened FF in Safe mode with all checkmarks enabled.(i.e, including disable all addons and restore default settings)

What else can be done?
dfoulkes

Re: Session Expired error

Post by dfoulkes »

A couple of things to note... in running in safe-mode it's best to NOT check off any boxes because those things are all reset ... even when you start Firefox in normal mode. Safe-mode temp-disables lots of stuff for testing purposes but lets you back into normal mode without messing up stuff.

You state that you cleared history... was that browsing history or did it include CACHE?

How many extensions do you use? It may end up that you will have to go to a new profile anyway... and most stuff including bookmarks can be moved over.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Plus...Do you have an external program that "cleans stuff", such as CCleaner?
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
foubevin

Post by foubevin »

Yes, the answer is true to both of the above questions. I cleared CACHE too. I use CCleaner. I've many addons of which some are disabled. below is the list:

Extensions

Name

Version

Enabled

ID

Adblock Plus
true
{d10d0bf8-f5b5-c8b4-a8b2-2b9879e08c5d}

Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon
true
adblockpopups@jessehakanen.net

Add N Edit Cookies
true
{038dc421-b19e-4711-a218-1fd10de9163b}

AutoPager
true
autopager@mozilla.org

BYTubeD - Bulk (Batch) YouTube video Downloader
true
bytubed@cs213.cse.iitk.ac.in

Content Preferences
true
mozilla-cpref@melez.com

Download Statusbar
true
{D4DD63FA-01E4-46a7-B6B1-EDAB7D6AD389}

DownloadHelper
true
{b9db16a4-6edc-47ec-a1f4-b86292ed211d}

Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus
true
elemhidehelper@adblockplus.org

Fast-Debrid - Platinium Edition
true
fastdebrid@gmail.com

Fasterfox Lite
3.9.1Lite
true
FasterFox_Lite@BigRedBrent

FastestFox
true
smarterwiki@wikiatic.com

FlashGot
true
{19503e42-ca3c-4c27-b1e2-9cdb2170ee34}

Ghostery
true
firefox@ghostery.com

Greasefire
true
greasefire@skrul.com

Greasemonkey
true
{e4a8a97b-f2ed-450b-b12d-ee082ba24781}

IE Tab 2 (FF 3.6+)
true
{1BC9BA34-1EED-42ca-A505-6D2F1A935BBB}

Inspirational browsing
true
Projectname@example.com

Memory Fox
true
{E173B749-DB5B-4fd2-BA0E-94ECEA0CA55B}

OneClick YouTube Downloader
true
{35379F86-8CCB-4724-AE33-4278DE266C70}

Print Edit
true
printedit@DW-dev

RAMBack
true
ramback@pavlov.net

startup.service
true
startup.service@mozilla.com

Status-4-Evar
true
status4evar@caligonstudios.com

WOT
true
{a0d7ccb3-214d-498b-b4aa-0e8fda9a7bf7}

Anti-Banner
false
KavAntiBanner@Kaspersky.ru

CineMeter
false
kirncha@gmail.com

CLEO
false
CLEO@guid.customsoftwareconsult.com

DivX HiQ
false
{6904342A-8307-11DF-A508-4AE2DFD72085}

DivX Plus Web Player HTML5 <video>
false
{23fcfd51-4958-4f00-80a3-ae97e717ed8b}

ERail Plugin for Firefox
false
firefoxplugin@erail

FEBE
false
{4BBDD651-70CF-4821-84F8-2B918CF89CA3}

feedly
false
feedly@devhd

iMacros for Firefox
false
{81BF1D23-5F17-408D-AC6B-BD6DF7CAF670}

Kaspersky URL Advisor
false
linkfilter@kaspersky.ru

Lipikaar
false
lipikaar@lipikaar.databyte

Mozilla Labs App Runtime
false
openwebapps@mozillalabs.com

Mozilla XForms
false
{cf2812dc-6a7c-4402-b639-4d277dac4c36}

TweakMDB
false
{15a82062-5139-4855-9706-130a8a4be80c}
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I use CCleaner

You might want to think about NOT using that app. to mess with Firefox data... it can mess up stuff... plus they have a habit of releasing updates with new options for things already set to "active" and that can cause users to wonder what happened... I got caught in that... the only thing I use CCleaner for (with respect to Firefox) is its "Compact databases" option... and, that was only after I tested that function to make sure that it worked properly.

You mentioned that you ran Firefox in safe-mode ... I take it that in that mode your problem still existed?

You have a number of extensions relating to Faster this/faster that... though they may not have anything to do with your issue... be careful with them... they can cause more problems than not.... are you having speed problems? You also have a number of EXTs. that I don't know about... what they do...so I'm at a loss in understanding "if" one of them causes your problem.

And, various extensions can alter settings in Firefox that may be causing your problem... or two extensions may be fighting over the same value causing your problem. And, to figure out what that is is very hard to do.

This note was part of the Firefox 10.0.2 release...
Most add-ons are now compatible with new versions of Firefox by default

And though safe-mode would have disabled extension anyway ... I'm wondering if a setting made by an incompatible ext. is causing this?

Anyway, until you resolve this you might just think about visiting that site with that extension IE Tab 2
foubevin

Post by foubevin »

Hi,

Could anyone give a working solution?? I'm willing to provide any help you might require from my side.
foubevin

Post by foubevin »

Found out something new. The cookie is saved at the time of opening the website itself. However, as soon as i click login, the stored cookie gets deleted and I'm shown "sessionexpire.aspx" page. Thought it'll be of some help to you people.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

foubevin wrote:I'm able to login thru ...a New Profile in Firefox. I dont want to lose my plugins, extensions and bookmarks due to a new profile.

You're going to have to choose. The problem is caused by a change you made. It's either an extension or an incorrect setting. You can disable (or enable) your extensions half at a time until you find the culprit. To check your settings, open the about:config page and click on the "Status" heading. Nondefault settings are shown in bold.

Unfortunately, you may have to go through this every time you run into a problem. And you have modified Firefox so extensively that you are likely to have problems in the future. I'm not a big fan of excessive tinkering. You might consider using this opportunity to do some drastic trimming. I would start from a clean profile, not from the dirty one. For a start, as dfoukes says, dump everything with "Faster" in the title. They're totally unnecessary, and often detrimental.
foubevin

Post by foubevin »

check your settings, open the about:config page and click on the "Status" heading. Nondefault settings are shown in bold.

Unfortunately, you may have to go through this every time you run into a problem

Here's the file, "prefs.js" attached. What entries should I change?

http://www.2shared.com/document/rykUs_r0/prefs.html

And, one more bad news: IETab 1 & 2 dont work anymore. They show "Missing Plugin" error. Any fix?
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

I have no idea. The download site is not working. I'm not sure I would know even if I had the file. It might have to do with cookies. If the site or another site that it depends on cannot set cookies, I think that might cause the problem. Or it could be security software restricting cookies (for Firefox but not another browser??). Or maybe the Web site really is timing out and you are waiting too long.

I suggest starting with a new profile. Sorry. If you make any changes in configuration, be careful what you change, and be sure you know what it does. You can try adding extensions if you want, but remember that each extension may make changes in your options. I suppose you could make a backup of "prefs.js" to guard against this problem (but do not attempt to edit or replace this file when Firefox is running). Good luck.
foubevin

Post by foubevin »

I suggest starting with a new profile.

I don't want to lose my addons, preferences, plugins etc. due to a new profile.

Right now, I've made IE Tab 2 working again by using the x64 edition. I can manage with it in the short run.

But, I'm neither satisfied with this temporary solution nor do i like chrome. What is required is a permanent fix. If this forum cannot provide that, where else can I look forward for such solution?

PS: I know this is not a bug as it happens only in my system and cannot be "reproduced" in another system. Kindly suggest a feasible solution. ](*,)
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

foubevin wrote:What is required is a permanent fix. If this forum cannot provide that, where else can I look forward for such solution?

:arrow: support.mozilla.org/questions/
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

foubevin wrote:Hi,

Could anyone give a working solution?? I'm willing to provide any help you might require from my side.

foubevin wrote:
I suggest starting with a new profile.

I don't want to lose my addons, preferences, plugins etc. due to a new profile...
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

foubevin wrote:Hi,

Your side is refusing to perform the suggestions made by people here. Who knows how you've messed up your Firefox...

Also, you are using the bleeding-edge version of Firefox and that alone will cause all sorts of problem...that version is only for Developers and testers who know all the ins and outs of Firefox.... and since you updated to it, it may have changed some stuff in your data-files that allow a profile to work properly... and by just going back to the latest official release of Firefox will probable screw it up more... going backwards with any application is a call for disaster.

A new profile is in order.... and with quality extensions installed.
foubevin

Post by foubevin »

Found the culprit. It is with the setting:

user_pref("network.http.sendRefererHeader", 0);

I changed it back to 2 and the website worked like a charm.

The default is 2 and this was changed by an addon "Illimitux" which I'd removed long before.
But, the addon forgot to change the above setting.

Thanks to all your advice about New Profile.
Because, this exact suggestion helped me. Here's what I did:

1. Created a TEST Profile.
2. Checked logging in and it worked.
3. Replaced the prefs.js from my old profile.
4. Problem "reproduced" in TEST profile too. (i.e., Unable to login)
5. Deleted almost half of the contents of the file and checked logging in.
6. Repeated step 5 until I found the culprit, the exact line creating the problem:
[user_pref("network.http.sendRefererHeader", 0);]

Thanks to everyone.