Cookie Management in SM easy, so why CS Lite?

Discussion of features in Seamonkey
SaintSatinStain

Cookie Management in SM easy, so why CS Lite?

Post by SaintSatinStain »

I installed CS Lite, thought about it, and decided that I was stupid. SeaMonkey has built in a good cookie manager, two clicks to determine how a site's cookies are handled. Simple, easy, to manage cookies in SM, wouldn't you say?

Earlier renditions of SeaMonkey had some major problems, maybe still do to real geeks - I'm a fairly knowledgeable pretender. I would like NoScript or similar feature built in for easy use, and BetterPrivacy and Ghostery type features. These can be optional for Firefox and K-Meleon. ( Yes I have a harem: SeaMonkey, head wife, and Firefox, K-Meleon, some foreign wives, Google Chrome and IE 8).

SeaMonkey should have all necessary aforementioned, not bloated, features. With Lightning added It becomes good for most home office use.
saint satin stain
Qui bibit, dormit; qui dormit, non peccat; qui non peccat, sanctus est; ergo qui bibit sanctus est.
sal magundi

Re: Cookie Management in SM easy, so why CS Lite?

Post by sal magundi »

SaintSatinStain wrote:I installed CS Lite, thought about it, and decided that I was stupid. SeaMonkey has built in a good cookie manager, two clicks to determine how a site's cookies are handled. Simple, easy, to manage cookies in SM, wouldn't you say?

yes i would, in fact i've had the same train of thought and never loaded CSLite

SaintSatinStain wrote:I would like NoScript or similar feature built in for easy use, and BetterPrivacy and Ghostery type features.

never thought of that. the add-ons are simple to do tho'.

how do you like K-Meleon?
SaintSatinStain

I really like K-Meleon, even though it's not as feature rich as SeaMonkey and Firefox. I use it as internet dictionary; its home page is a dictionary and a dictionary button on my word processor opens it. I also have another dictionary button that opens a locally installed dictionary. I believe that I should have one Gecko browser without all the doodads. Because of its speed I use it to search other dictionaries online while writing.

I like it; it's fast. Now that it has an easier addon system and the same or similar addons as SeaMonkey and Firefox it's a useable browser now. I see complaints that it hasn't had a recent new version. I see no reason for a new version, except to correct a security hole.

All the browsers SeaMonkey, Firefox, Google Chrome, Opera etc are insecure for browsing, so take care. It's not really the browsers, it is the Adobe Flash Player and the Sun Java. The vendors either don't know how to patch them or don't really care. So be careful out here in the jungle.

I added another wife, Pale Moon; it's a foreign cousin, an optimized version of Firefox.

So my harem now, SeaMonkey, K-Meleon, Firefox, Pale Moon, Google Chrome, and IE. I also have Webian Shell for research, but really don't use it to browse much.
saint satin stain
Qui bibit, dormit; qui dormit, non peccat; qui non peccat, sanctus est; ergo qui bibit sanctus est.
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

SaintSatinStain wrote:I really like K-Meleon, even though it's not as feature rich as SeaMonkey and Firefox. I use it as internet dictionary; its home page is a dictionary and a dictionary button on my word processor opens it. I also have another dictionary button that opens a locally installed dictionary. I believe that I should have one Gecko browser without all the doodads. Because of its speed I use it to search other dictionaries online while writing.

SaintSatinStain,

Curious minds want to know.... which internet dictionary do you use with K-Meleon? And how do you set up a dictionary button on your word processor to open it? (I use WordWeb to open highlighted words on anything on the screen, the last freeware version being version 3.02). I also use an ancient DOS editor called Q-Edit (Semware) with popup TSRs for spellchecking (Webster's New World Speller) and Thesaurus (WordFinder from Microlytics). Both TSRs are deadware now and Q-Edit is (to my mind) on life support. In K-Meleon, I have a macro that loads up several search engines at once with a hotkey that you could modify easily to make those search engines all dictionary engines.
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
SaintSatinStain

My word processor is Jarte Plus
(There is a free version, but without some features on the paid.);

it has built in it button for Dictionary, which you can set to open a local dictionary or choose the one at Yahoo (http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/), or some other online one, which you select as home page for K-Meleon, and it has a links button which you can configure to open up other programs (so I include other reference sites and programs;

Thesaurus, I have a local one, Mobysaurus Thesaurus;

An Encyclopedia button which opens Google Chrome, whose home pages are Encyclopedia.com,
encrypted Google,
refdesk.com, http://www.loc.gov/rr/askalib/virtualref.html (Library of Congress),
and encrypted Wikipedia.

My security suite, Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete even has some office like features, it gives you 10 gigs of storage to each computer it protects, 3, and 3 iOS or Android devices or mix. on each computer and mobile device it places a Magic Briefcase which synchronizes files between the computers and mobiles. My computer and two ex wives are protected, and my Android phone.
saint satin stain
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

SaintSatinStain wrote:My word processor is Jarte Plus
(There is a free version, but without some features on the paid.);

it has built in it button for Dictionary, which you can set to open a local dictionary or choose the one at Yahoo (http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/), or some other online one, which you select as home page for K-Meleon, and it has a links button which you can configure to open up other programs (so I include other reference sites and programs;

Thesaurus, I have a local one, Mobysaurus Thesaurus;

An Encyclopedia button which opens Google Chrome, whose home pages are Encyclopedia.com,
encrypted Google,
refdesk.com, http://www.loc.gov/rr/askalib/virtualref.html (Library of Congress),
and encrypted Wikipedia.

My security suite, Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete even has some office like features, it gives you 10 gigs of storage to each computer it protects, 3, and 3 iOS or Android devices or mix. on each computer and mobile device it places a Magic Briefcase which synchronizes files between the computers and mobiles. My computer and two ex wives are protected, and my Android phone.

SaintSatinStain,

Jarte Plus, yes.... I have the freeware version of it. Generally I use Word, but for quick and dirty either QEdit (and copy and paste to the clipboard) or PolyEditLite because of the two pane feature. However that online dictionary makes me drool a bit. <g>

I find http://www.el.com to be a good home page as it also has a lot of editing tools availalbe as it is an aggregator site. Don't use Chrome (prefer Iron), but generally I stick to Gecko browsers of one kind or the other

I use DropBox for sync stuff, but generally don't bother with online sync... I use a usb stick instead for stuff I need when not home. No android phone, nor Ex-wives here.... still on the first one!

Webroot provides good malware protection and the online storage sounds like an added perk. I use DropMyRights, Outpost Firewall 2009, MalwareBytesPro, WinPatrol and Avira12 (for now).

-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
SaintSatinStain

ndebord wrote:
SaintSatinStain wrote:
I find http://www.el.com to be a good home page as it also has a lot of editing tools availalbe as it is an aggregator site. Don't use Chrome (prefer Iron), but generally I stick to Gecko browsers of one kind or the other

Stay on the first wife. Three of my exes basically said, we divorce you, love you, you're a great friend and relative, lousy husband; we didn't divorce the family. So my granddaughters have five grandmothers, and spoiled rotten.
Thanks for the site above with editing tools. I'll add it as another homepage.

I don't remember if this is in the free Jarte, but it has provision to install to usb drive. I carry two, one with portable office with SeaMonkey Portable, and the other is chock full of security scanners, cleaners, and security enquiry tools, notable the NirLauncher (Nirsoft) with all of the Nirsoft utilities, Sysinternals tools, and Piriform tools.
Between the online tools available, my Android, and usb drives I need a desktop or laptop less and less. I basically use my desktop as a server and storage when I'm on the road. I send photos and other files to it from my mobile phone.

Why not a built in dictionary for SeaMonkey?

amendment: SeaMonkey, Firefox, K-Meleon, KMLite (Kronos), Pale Moon, plus Google Chrome and IE.
saint satin stain