Thunderbird and GMX

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
rachaelyut65

Thunderbird and GMX

Post by rachaelyut65 »

Needing new email provider and was recommended GMX. Now TB refuses to connect and I cannot connect to their site through FF. Anyone know if GMX.com/Mail.com exists anymore?
Looks like will need to set up a new provider in TB.
couldabeen

Re: Thunderbird and GMX

Post by couldabeen »

http://www.gmx.com/ works for me in Firefox, and Thunderbird. I've accessed each of my accounts within the past 10 minutes using both web mail, and from Thunderbird. use the link I started this post with to access with Firefox. You will need to have a valid account name@gmx.com and password.

So, having said all of that, recently my wife had her account 'frozen' for some reason that we were NEVER able to have explained by the GMX crew. So don't expect an answer from them if you post to their 'Contact' link. I never did. I just set up a new account. Fortunately, TB had the past emails so she didn't lose anything(a darned good reason to have an external client that uses POP protocol).
===================================
In TB make sure your settings are correct:
Server Name pop.gmx.com Port 110
Secure Connection Never
UNCHECK >>> Use Secure Authentication.

SMTP:Outgoing Connection
Server Name mail.gmx.com Port 465
Use Name and Password CHECKED
Use Secure Connection SSL
======================================
Free Your Mind, And Your A$$ Will Follow - Funkadelic, 1970
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I've had a GMX IMAP account for 3 or 4 years. I've heard stories about GMX freezing random accounts with no explanation but it hasn't happened to me. They changed their email configuration a couple of years ago without telling anybody beforehand. There was terrible support in their forums trying to figure out how to fix it. They provide a large mailbox and an equivalent of Gmails mail fetcher, but I wouldn't rely upon them as your main email account.

What are you looking for in a email provider?

I've found the advice about free email accounts in http://email.about.com/od/freeemailrevi ... _email.htm poor (its recommended some dogs such as gawab) but it least it lists 19 free email providers to consider. I have fastmail, aim, gmail, hotmail, gmx, lavabit, yahoo, zoho, vmail and myopera accounts. All of them are free except for fastmail, where I pay for a "full" account rather than using a free guest account. Its my main account. They target IMAP power users, I like their customer support, and I find them reliable. Its $20/year, but you can renew at a discount for multiple years at a time. MyOpera uses the Fastmail IMAP/SMTP servers and provides a 1GB mailbox, but removes many features since its free and targets a different type of user.
rachaelyut659

Post by rachaelyut659 »

Using FF trying to go to "http://www.gmx.com/" gets message "connection timed out".
Using TB trying to connect to my mail account gets message "connection timed out".

Using IE trying to connect gets the status message "waiting for connection" for a very long time then the Bing search page appears. Clicking on the GMX link on that page simply refreshes the Bing page after a very long time.

BUT using Opera I can connect to my web mail account any time I try!

Time to move on to a dependable alternate email provider. I do have my mail one with my ISP.