[Ext] Status-4-Evar 2017.03.19.12b

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
rob64rock

Re: [Ext] Status-4-Evar 2012.02.28.00b

Post by rob64rock »

Bluefang,

I found add-on incompatibility bug between latest [Ext]Statas-4-Evar and [Ext]LeftSideStar 1.3.1. Which causes the URL present in the URL and the Hovered link target URL not to be aligned causing the URL position to appear to shift.

Code: Select all

/* Fx 10+ CSS fix for [Ext]Status-4-Evar when using setting 'show links' in 'Location bar/Status alignment-Left align', when using [Ext]LeftSideStar */

#urlbar[s4esalign="left"][leftsidestar="true"] .urlbar-over-link-host-label {
margin-left: -3px !important;
}

The problem also occurs when using S4E setting 'show links' in 'Location bar/Status alignment-Right align, but I couldn't figure out the CSS solution fix.

I also posted the bug report here:
http://soapyhamhocks.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2vd9vx
Vonavi

Post by Vonavi »

Thanks. But I guess little bit too complicated addon for me.
I restored default setting more radically by deleting setting directory (including all addons and plugins).

The thing that bugged me in the first place was that after using "Save Image in Folder" or "Bazzacuda Image Saver Plus" there was always text in status bar like "Image http://site.com/picture.jpg saved." And it just doesn't go away. Even when I select option to output status via popups and uncheck option to show default status ("Done"). When I load some page, status show all relevant messages like "connecting..., waiting..., transferring..." but after that it reverts to that same text "Image http://site.com/picture.jpg saved." and stays on top of my page.
animatrinity
Location: the third layer of consciousness, known as 'physical reality'

Post by animatrinity »

i have been using 'status-4-evar' for a few months now, and keep having the same problem with one of its features. in the address bar/location bar, i want the progress indicator bar to show up on the bottom of the location bar, but whenever i change certain settings in firefox or some of my other addons/extensions, the progress indicator changes its location back to the left of the location bar, which is really annoying, because then it pushes the url text to the right whenever a page loads. i would like the progress indicator to stay on the bottom of the location bar. i hope i described or explained all that specifically enough. the most recent change to my firefox that reset this setting, was that i updated an addon called 'searchmenu', just a couple of hours ago. anyway, thank you for listening, and i do appreciate 'status-4-evar'.

update: also, thought the setting location would be helpful... progress > location bar > show progress in the location bar > bottom.
after this setting is messed up, i can choose 'bottom' again, but the setting will not set or save properly.

another update: i just searched back, and realized i had posted about this issue back in january. sorry for the repeat, but apparently the issue hasn't been fixed. there were a couple replies to my post that i could see, but neither of them really made much sense to me. i could list the other extensions i use, but i doubt that would be helpful. update: ok, well, i tried disabling all of my extensions, and it seems to only be a conflict with 'searchmenu' (made by kallout). (on a side note, i have tried contacting them six times for another unrelated issue, with no response, and finally fixed it myself. i use it constantly, so i can't just disable it). i just recently reinstalled a fresh copy of the latest firefox, along with new copies of all my extensions, and i believe i did searchmenu before status-4-evar, and didn't have this issue again until i just updated searchmenu. this is very confusing, and i really don't have the time to try and figure this out.
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

And just like you were told last time, you probably have another extension or theme that is conflicting with what S4E is doing in the location bar.

You can try S4E Prefs -> Advanced -> Attempt to force the Location Bar XBL binding or you can do a standard diagnostic to find out what is conflicting.
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

@animatrinity, have you tried digging through SearchMenu's "Advanced Settings Panel"? It's probably got something conflicting that isn't even a major feature.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

Vonavi wrote:The thing that bugged me in the first place was that after using "Save Image in Folder" or "Bazzacuda Image Saver Plus" there was always text in status bar like "Image http://site.com/picture.jpg saved." And it just doesn't go away. Even when I select option to output status via popups and uncheck option to show default status ("Done"). When I load some page, status show all relevant messages like "connecting..., waiting..., transferring..." but after that it reverts to that same text "Image http://site.com/picture.jpg saved." and stays on top of my page.

That means the extension has broken interaction with the status bar or it is not clearing its own status messages. In the original Firefox implementation, 'status' messages and 'network' messages were stored in the same variable. So when network activity happened, any previously existing status message was overwritten. This does not happen in S4E because they are kept track of separately.

You have the option of setting S4E to hide status messages after a certain delay. S4E Prefs -> Status -> Status Text -> [X] Hide the status after [--] seconds.

Or you can complain to the extension developer to get them to clear their status messages after a certain delay. It's pretty simple.

Code: Select all

function setStatus(message)
{
   let statusbar = document.getElementById("statusbar-display");
   statusbar.label = message;
   window.setTimeout(function(elm, msg)
   {
      if(elm.label === msg)
      {
         elm.label = "";
      }
   }, 5000, statusbar, message);
}
(DISCLAIMER: I haven't actually tested this code)
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
animatrinity

Post by animatrinity »

Bluefang wrote:And just like you were told last time, you probably have another extension or theme that is conflicting with what S4E is doing in the location bar.

You can try S4E Prefs -> Advanced -> Attempt to force the Location Bar XBL binding or you can do a standard diagnostic to find out what is conflicting.

as i said, i don't have the time to sit and figure this out. i thought that's what the author was for.
yeah, i'm nutty. i dance naked in the rayne and laff at raynebows. what's your idea of a good time.
Ngamer01

Post by Ngamer01 »

Every Firefox profile customized by users is unique and it's impossible for extension authors to replicate or find every issue users may face when using various extensions with Status-4-Evar.

If time is a priority for you, then just disable all extensions (except Status-4-Evar) and then re-enable half of them. If the problem you're having appears, it's one of the extensions in the half you enabled. If the problem doesn't appear, then it's in the other half of extensions that are still disabled. Then you can easily narrow things down from there.
animatrinity

Post by animatrinity »

Ngamer01 wrote:Every Firefox profile customized by users is unique and it's impossible for extension authors to replicate or find every issue users may face when using various extensions with Status-4-Evar.

If time is a priority for you, then just disable all extensions (except Status-4-Evar) and then re-enable half of them. If the problem you're having appears, it's one of the extensions in the half you enabled. If the problem doesn't appear, then it's in the other half of extensions that are still disabled. Then you can easily narrow things down from there.

did no one read my message? i already did all that, i gave the author everything they should need to know to fix the problem, it is not my problem to fix.
yeah, i'm nutty. i dance naked in the rayne and laff at raynebows. what's your idea of a good time.
rob64rock

Post by rob64rock »

animatrinity wrote:
Ngamer01 wrote:Every Firefox profile customized by users is unique and it's impossible for extension authors to replicate or find every issue users may face when using various extensions with Status-4-Evar.

did no one read my message? i already did all that, i gave the author everything they should need to know to fix the problem, it is not my problem to fix.

Edited- SEE Bluefang post below...
Last edited by rob64rock on March 28th, 2012, 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy animatrinity,

[1] you have identified the conflicting extension - SearchMenu - Search Faster in Firefox

[2] the author of THIS extension has pointed out where the problem appears to be. he also provided you with a workaround AND some sample code the author of SearchMenu could look at for help fixing the SearchMenu extension .

- what more do you demand from the author of THIS extension?
- why do you feel you have the right to demand such things for something that is offered to you for free?

i entirely fail to understand your unreasonable attitude. it boggles my mind ...

as Bluefang pointed out, my comment is out of line. i apologize for the unwarranted snippy comment, dude. sorry! [*blush*]

take care,
lee
Last edited by Lee_Dailey on March 28th, 2012, 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

Sorry, I hadn't realized you narrowed it down to "searchmenu" (this?), since your mention of it was buried in an EDIT.

At first glance, it looks like the overlay is importing Firefox's built-in style sheets, which can mess-up the overlays of any extension that loads after it.

sm.xul
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<?xml-stylesheet href="chrome://kosa/skin/sm.css" type="text/css"?>
<?xml-stylesheet href="chrome://kosa/skin/smtoolbar.css" type="text/css"?>
<?xml-stylesheet href="chrome://browser/content/browser.css" type="text/css"?>
<?xml-stylesheet href="chrome://global/skin/menu.css" type="text/css"?>
<?xml-stylesheet href="chrome://global/skin/findBar.css" type="text/css"?>

<!-- (c) 2009-2012 KallOut, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Patents Pending. -->

This was the same problem that the extension "Close'n Forget" had, which caused similar brokenness is S4E:
viewtopic.php?p=11489147#p11489147
viewtopic.php?p=11710859#p11710859

@Lee
Lay off. If any one gets to be snippy, in my thread, about my extension, it's me. This was a legitimate miscommunication.
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy Bluefang,

sorry, dude. i apologize to you and to animatrinity. [*blush*]

take care,
lee
animatrinity

Post by animatrinity »

@lee, apology accepted, i was a little snippy, too. big misunderstanding. @bluefang, sorry about the whole 'edit' thing, but i didn't find it necessary to overflow your forum with separate posts. and yes, that is the right searchmenu you linked to. as i said, i have contacted them six times, with no response. as for your second sentence, 'at first glance, it looks like...', i don't really know what that means. i have no programming knowledge; that's why i was hoping someone else could figure this out. i went as far as i could. i saw above that someone mentioned a problem with the 'nasa night launch' skin, which i didn't really understand either, but i use that skin, if that means anything to you. but i don't think the problem is with it, but rather with searchmenu. and again, i'm sorry for the misunderstanding, i thought i had said everything in the original post, i hope this doesn't make you think that i don't appreciate what you're doing. thanks again.
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

animatrinity wrote:@lee, apology accepted, i was a little snippy, too. big misunderstanding.
[snip]

howdy animatrinity,

thanks for accepting my apology & for your understanding. [*grin*]

take care,
lee