TB 12 beta - emails quickly disappearing

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
denisw

TB 12 beta - emails quickly disappearing

Post by denisw »

I've seen a half dozen emails today show up in my inbox, but they blink away. I've done individual searches under the subject/author in my inbox and trash which I saw before they disappeared - but they are gone. I've done a global "Find" for all folders and subfolders - nothing found.

There is no "submit feedback" option available under the help menu like there is for FF 12 beta.

I signed up for a Thunderbird Test pilot - "A Week in the Life of a Mail Client" that popped up about the same time - might be related.

I have set an option for my server to keep all emails for 3 days so I can see what disappears in TB.
superdraft

Re: TB 12 beta - emails quickly disappearing

Post by superdraft »

Getting the same problem - emails disappear or corrupt when I click on "compact".
I use Thunderbird 12 beta
rsteinbach

Post by rsteinbach »

I'm having almost the same problem with TB-12-beta. The emails arrive fine, but if I move ANY messages from my Inbox to another folder, other messages in the Inbox get corrupted and/or disappear. I reverted back to TB-11-release, and everything is fine. Tried TB-12-Beta again today, and same problem.

This is serious, as I lost several messages before I could take action upon them. :cry:
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy y'all,

i'm too chicken to try the beta/alfa stuff, but from reading this thread ...
Daily Build Thread 2012-03-28 Through 2012-04-03 • mozillaZine Forums

... it seems there is a good deal of fallout from the new sendfile stuff. for instance, take a look at the last bug in the tb12 section. you might want to post a msg in the newest "daily build" thread to see if someone there might be able to help. do remember to include a link back to this thread! [*grin*]

take care,
lee
denisw

Post by denisw »

I started this string, and the problem has continued. I have reverted back to the stable TB 11, and will not upgrade to a final version of TB 12 until/unless somebody says this problem has been found and fixed.

Anybody from Mozilla read these posts? Again, there is no feedback method in the TB menus like FF.
tmeader

Post by tmeader »

Yeah, I'm seeing the same thing. It's either related to the folder movement via filters, or possibly the compact action, as I do both. I'm going to have to revert to 11 though as this had become too big a problem to overlook.
ltsnow

Post by ltsnow »

Same thing happened to me about a week ago. I did a compact and all the emails in the inbox disappeared, never to be seen again. I have reverted to Thunderbird 11 also. This is serious.
superdraft

Post by superdraft »

I have reverted back to v11 and the problem no longer exists - emails compact OK. As denisw said it may be better for server to keep them for a few days.
nashjc

Post by nashjc »

TB 11.0.1 loses msgs (actually puts a blank msg in folder) on me when moving from IMAP folder to local. I've seen this for a while now. I thought it was originally a network problem, but I don't seem to get it with web mail. TB seems to "hang" in mid transfer -- I was even able to start up browser, log in, and look at msg while waiting. I've tried turning off add-ons, and that seems to improve speed, but I'm not sure that this is the full story.

(Using Ubuntu 10.04)

JN
Prof. J C Nash, U Ottawa
crammy

Post by crammy »

I have lost most of my incoming emails all at a sudden, before I could even open them. The still existing ones have no contents anymore; this is only the case with the incoming mails. My sent mails haven't disappeared.
This is a very big problem for me. Is there any chance I can recover them ? I'm working with TB 12.0 beta
Pse urgently help me !
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

For the pop3 case, this seems to have been fixed

If there is still a problem with IMAP, then we need to have a new bug.
AFAICT there is not an open bug on the issue.
JoeS Testing current Thunderbird trunk builds WinXP SP2+
news://news.mozilla.org.mozilla.test.multimedia How to Post
ltsnow

Post by ltsnow »

JoeS wrote:For the pop3 case, this seems to have been fixed

If there is still a problem with IMAP, then we need to have a new bug.
AFAICT there is not an open bug on the issue.

So doing a compact would be the same thing as moving emails from one folder to another?
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

ltsnow wrote:So doing a compact would be the same thing as moving emails from one folder to another?

As I understand it: Compacting builds a new temp file, then copies it back to the original file.
I guess this would be true for any local file. IMAP stores headers only, and message data is on the server unless you pref it to save a local copy.
tmeader

Post by tmeader »

The way I have it setup, I don't use the option for my IMAP box for "Offline Use". I found that problematic when I wanted to run filters properly later on after checking mail. So, instead, I have two series of filters setup. One is set on my IMAP mailbox itself, which does nothing but Copy all the new messages to the local Inbox when checking mail. Then, once those are done, I manual run the filters I have (quite a few) on my local Inbox to sort everything locally. It's basically the equivalent of using IMAP in a POP3 manner I suppose, but this has always worked best for me when accessing the Exchange mailboxes we HAVE TO use via Thunderbird. Seems to do the least potential operations to the IMAP Inbox end, which I also access via OWA when I don't have access to TB. Prior to 12 Beta, I never had the disappearing messages issue with this setup.

Long story short, this appears to correlate with the behavior of the POP3 bug, in that filtering messages twice (as my setup does) seems to cause corruption.

So I should open a bug then for IMAP?
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

tmeader wrote:The way I have it setup, I don't use the option for my IMAP box for "Offline Use". I found that problematic when I wanted to run filters properly later on after checking mail. So, instead, I have two series of filters setup. One is set on my IMAP mailbox itself, which does nothing but Copy all the new messages to the local Inbox when checking mail. Then, once those are done, I manual run the filters I have (quite a few) on my local Inbox to sort everything locally. It's basically the equivalent of using IMAP in a POP3 manner I suppose, but this has always worked best for me when accessing the Exchange mailboxes we HAVE TO use via Thunderbird. Seems to do the least potential operations to the IMAP Inbox end, which I also access via OWA when I don't have access to TB. Prior to 12 Beta, I never had the disappearing messages issue with this setup.

Long story short, this appears to correlate with the behavior of the POP3 bug, in that filtering messages twice (as my setup does) seems to cause corruption.

So I should open a bug then for IMAP?

I certainly would file a bug, it might be related to your specific usage on IMAP copy to a local folder.
I would think that not so common of a use case, that could have been overlooked in the bugfix.
By all means, do file a bug, and mention that the pop3 fix didn't seem to fix your case.