MozillaZine

TB 12 beta - emails quickly disappearing

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
JoeS

User avatar
 
Posts: 2337
Joined: June 8th, 2003, 9:15 am

Post Posted April 10th, 2012, 3:07 pm

oops, I just saw this:
[*]# 730947 [MailNews Core] - local (POP3) move filter ends up corrupting messages [All]
Might be related.
JoeS Testing current Thunderbird trunk builds WinXP SP2+
news://news.mozilla.org.mozilla.test.multimedia How to Post

ffextensionguru

User avatar
 
Posts: 518
Joined: May 11th, 2005, 9:08 pm
Location: Gilbert, Arizona

Post Posted April 10th, 2012, 5:24 pm

@tmeader If you do file a bug, please post the bug # here, this sounds like one I want to track.

JoeS

User avatar
 
Posts: 2337
Joined: June 8th, 2003, 9:15 am

Post Posted April 10th, 2012, 8:08 pm

So..we may have a condition in our existing mail stores that make them vulnerable to further filter moves.
To purge this condition, it might be wise to "rebuild folder" on any suspect folders.
I think what it does is blow away the .msf file and reconstruct from the main database file.
rebuild folder
JoeS Testing current Thunderbird trunk builds WinXP SP2+
news://news.mozilla.org.mozilla.test.multimedia How to Post

tmeader
 
Posts: 434
Joined: May 3rd, 2004, 10:30 pm

Post Posted April 11th, 2012, 8:27 am

JoeS wrote:oops, I just saw this:
[*]# 730947 [MailNews Core] - local (POP3) move filter ends up corrupting messages [All]
Might be related.


This sounds like it could very well be my case. I frequently compact the Inbox as well (at least once a week), since the method I use wastes a lot of space otherwise. I'll try the next 12 Beta with the fix and report back before opening anything IMAP specific (since I SERIOUSLY doubt it has anything to do with something directly related to the IMAP implementation).

DinGo
 
Posts: 128
Joined: June 18th, 2004, 12:29 pm
Location: Stockport UK

Post Posted April 11th, 2012, 12:24 pm

I've just given TB 12 beta 4 a go and this disappearing emails problem still exists. I didn't notice it until v12 beta 2 but after that it has existed in each build. Also every time I go to delete an email the compact now box pops up. I'm using POP3.
imho this is a serious bug and urgently needs fixing.

Running Windows 7 x64.

I also have reverted to version 11.0.1.
Last edited by DinGo on April 11th, 2012, 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tmeader
 
Posts: 434
Joined: May 3rd, 2004, 10:30 pm

Post Posted April 11th, 2012, 12:56 pm

Still doing it with beta 4 from here: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... es/build1/ ?

Ugh. I was about to test that too. Thanks.

JoeS

User avatar
 
Posts: 2337
Joined: June 8th, 2003, 9:15 am

Post Posted April 11th, 2012, 5:47 pm

DinGo wrote:I've just given TB 12 beta 4 a go and this disappearing emails problem still exists. I didn't notice it until v12 beta 2 but after that it has existed in each build. Also every time I go to delete an email the compact now box pops up. I'm using POP3.
imho this is a serious bug and urgently needs fixing.

Running Windows 7 x64.

I also have reverted to version 11.0.1.


Did you do a "repair folder" to eliminate any residuals from the original problem that 736539
JoeS Testing current Thunderbird trunk builds WinXP SP2+
news://news.mozilla.org.mozilla.test.multimedia How to Post

ltsnow

User avatar
 
Posts: 1107
Joined: March 23rd, 2006, 1:49 pm
Location: Valdosta, GA

Post Posted April 11th, 2012, 8:03 pm

Thanks everyone for keeping us updated. I'm not going near this thing until it is fixed. Hope it is soon because I like using the beta builds.

ffextensionguru

User avatar
 
Posts: 518
Joined: May 11th, 2005, 9:08 pm
Location: Gilbert, Arizona

Post Posted April 11th, 2012, 8:45 pm

ltsnow wrote:Thanks everyone for keeping us updated. I'm not going near this thing until it is fixed. Hope it is soon because I like using the beta builds.

We are less than a week now for release, hope this gets fixed very soon or there are going to be a lot of frustrated 'release' users.

DinGo
 
Posts: 128
Joined: June 18th, 2004, 12:29 pm
Location: Stockport UK

Post Posted April 12th, 2012, 7:17 am

JoeS wrote:
DinGo wrote:I've just given TB 12 beta 4 a go and this disappearing emails problem still exists. I didn't notice it until v12 beta 2 but after that it has existed in each build. Also every time I go to delete an email the compact now box pops up. I'm using POP3.
imho this is a serious bug and urgently needs fixing.

Running Windows 7 x64.

I also have reverted to version 11.0.1.


Did you do a "repair folder" to eliminate any residuals from the original problem that 736539


No, unfortunately I didn't do that. Having said that I always do a clean install of each new beta release. ie not an update.

denisw
 
Posts: 44
Joined: October 12th, 2006, 2:00 am

Post Posted April 15th, 2012, 7:56 pm

Doing a release with this sort of HUGE known bug is a good way to kill TB. My lost emails happened within seconds of showing up in my inbox without doing any moving or manual compacting.

I hope somebody with a brain puts a stop to a release until this HUGE bug is found. Most people don't do clean installs or run "repair folder" steps.

I sure won't upgrade to a TB 12 release until/unless I read here that the problem has been found and fixed.

ffextensionguru

User avatar
 
Posts: 518
Joined: May 11th, 2005, 9:08 pm
Location: Gilbert, Arizona

Post Posted April 15th, 2012, 11:59 pm

ffextensionguru wrote:
ltsnow wrote:Thanks everyone for keeping us updated. I'm not going near this thing until it is fixed. Hope it is soon because I like using the beta builds.

We are less than a week now for release, hope this gets fixed very soon or there are going to be a lot of frustrated 'release' users.

Actually, we still have another week until the planned release date. Was getting ahead of myself. Sounds like this may be getting fixed shortly.

tmeader
 
Posts: 434
Joined: May 3rd, 2004, 10:30 pm

Post Posted April 16th, 2012, 8:31 am

ffextensionguru wrote:
ffextensionguru wrote:
ltsnow wrote:Thanks everyone for keeping us updated. I'm not going near this thing until it is fixed. Hope it is soon because I like using the beta builds.

We are less than a week now for release, hope this gets fixed very soon or there are going to be a lot of frustrated 'release' users.

Actually, we still have another week until the planned release date. Was getting ahead of myself. Sounds like this may be getting fixed shortly.


From what I can tell, it's already fixed (though the bug hasn't been officially been marked as such yet). I've been using TB 12 Beta 4 for ~5 days now without any more corruption issues.

denisw
 
Posts: 44
Joined: October 12th, 2006, 2:00 am

Post Posted April 19th, 2012, 4:59 pm

It is such a big problem and so close to the release of TB 12, I will wait to see how it works before "applying" the update from TB 11 on the "release update channel". I got burned on the beta update channel before the supposed fix. I'll look here and wherever Google sends me to see TB 12 reviews first.

denisw
 
Posts: 44
Joined: October 12th, 2006, 2:00 am

Post Posted April 23rd, 2012, 11:29 am

TB 12 was released from beta testing today on the regular update channel. Because of my recent disaster with lost emails in the beta version, I am skeptical whether this version is really ready. I have not seen much here, so would like some stronger re-assurance for a few days.

Anybody have any better review websites, or where bugs get reported?

Thanks.

Return to Thunderbird Builds


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests