TB 12 beta - emails quickly disappearing

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
JoeS

Re: TB 12 beta - emails quickly disappearing

Post by JoeS »

oops, I just saw this:
[*]# 730947 [MailNews Core] - local (POP3) move filter ends up corrupting messages [All]
Might be related.
JoeS Testing current Thunderbird trunk builds WinXP SP2+
news://news.mozilla.org.mozilla.test.multimedia How to Post
ffextensionguru

Post by ffextensionguru »

@tmeader If you do file a bug, please post the bug # here, this sounds like one I want to track.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

So..we may have a condition in our existing mail stores that make them vulnerable to further filter moves.
To purge this condition, it might be wise to "rebuild folder" on any suspect folders.
I think what it does is blow away the .msf file and reconstruct from the main database file.
rebuild folder
tmeader

Post by tmeader »

JoeS wrote:oops, I just saw this:
[*]# 730947 [MailNews Core] - local (POP3) move filter ends up corrupting messages [All]
Might be related.

This sounds like it could very well be my case. I frequently compact the Inbox as well (at least once a week), since the method I use wastes a lot of space otherwise. I'll try the next 12 Beta with the fix and report back before opening anything IMAP specific (since I SERIOUSLY doubt it has anything to do with something directly related to the IMAP implementation).
DinGo

Post by DinGo »

I've just given TB 12 beta 4 a go and this disappearing emails problem still exists. I didn't notice it until v12 beta 2 but after that it has existed in each build. Also every time I go to delete an email the compact now box pops up. I'm using POP3.
imho this is a serious bug and urgently needs fixing.

Running Windows 7 x64.

I also have reverted to version 11.0.1.
Last edited by DinGo on April 11th, 2012, 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tmeader

Post by tmeader »

Still doing it with beta 4 from here: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... es/build1/ ?

Ugh. I was about to test that too. Thanks.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

DinGo wrote:I've just given TB 12 beta 4 a go and this disappearing emails problem still exists. I didn't notice it until v12 beta 2 but after that it has existed in each build. Also every time I go to delete an email the compact now box pops up. I'm using POP3.

Running Windows 7 x64.

Did you do a "repair folder" to eliminate any residuals from the original problem that 736539
ltsnow

Post by ltsnow »

Thanks everyone for keeping us updated. I'm not going near this thing until it is fixed. Hope it is soon because I like using the beta builds.
ffextensionguru

ltsnow wrote:Thanks everyone for keeping us updated. I'm not going near this thing until it is fixed. Hope it is soon because I like using the beta builds.

We are less than a week now for release, hope this gets fixed very soon or there are going to be a lot of frustrated 'release' users.
DinGo

Post by DinGo »

JoeS wrote:
DinGo wrote:I've just given TB 12 beta 4 a go and this disappearing emails problem still exists. I didn't notice it until v12 beta 2 but after that it has existed in each build. Also every time I go to delete an email the compact now box pops up. I'm using POP3.

Running Windows 7 x64.

Did you do a "repair folder" to eliminate any residuals from the original problem that 736539

No, unfortunately I didn't do that. Having said that I always do a clean install of each new beta release. ie not an update.
denisw

Post by denisw »

Doing a release with this sort of HUGE known bug is a good way to kill TB. My lost emails happened within seconds of showing up in my inbox without doing any moving or manual compacting.

I hope somebody with a brain puts a stop to a release until this HUGE bug is found. Most people don't do clean installs or run "repair folder" steps.

I sure won't upgrade to a TB 12 release until/unless I read here that the problem has been found and fixed.
ffextensionguru

ffextensionguru wrote:
ltsnow wrote:Thanks everyone for keeping us updated. I'm not going near this thing until it is fixed. Hope it is soon because I like using the beta builds.

We are less than a week now for release, hope this gets fixed very soon or there are going to be a lot of frustrated 'release' users.

Actually, we still have another week until the planned release date. Was getting ahead of myself. Sounds like this may be getting fixed shortly.
tmeader

Post by tmeader »

ffextensionguru wrote:
ffextensionguru wrote:

Actually, we still have another week until the planned release date. Was getting ahead of myself. Sounds like this may be getting fixed shortly.

From what I can tell, it's already fixed (though the bug hasn't been officially been marked as such yet). I've been using TB 12 Beta 4 for ~5 days now without any more corruption issues.
denisw

Post by denisw »

It is such a big problem and so close to the release of TB 12, I will wait to see how it works before "applying" the update from TB 11 on the "release update channel". I got burned on the beta update channel before the supposed fix. I'll look here and wherever Google sends me to see TB 12 reviews first.
denisw

Post by denisw »

TB 12 was released from beta testing today on the regular update channel. Because of my recent disaster with lost emails in the beta version, I am skeptical whether this version is really ready. I have not seen much here, so would like some stronger re-assurance for a few days.

Anybody have any better review websites, or where bugs get reported?

Thanks.