[Ext] Tab Utilities 1.5 - light but featureful

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
ithinc

Re: [Ext] Tab Utilities 1.1 - light but featureful

Post by ithinc »

em3 wrote:Thank you for the 1.1.4 version. I had the 1.2pre18 installed but got annoyed by the tab stacking feature. It made tab rearranging harder and I couldn't find an option to disable it.

I will add a new option to disable the drag-to-stack feature in the next version.
Noooooo

Post by Noooooo »

ithinc is back!!! :D
4 bugs
Win 7 x64, clean profile, FF11, TU1.2pre18

Bug 1
TU default settings
1. Open a tab with any site (Google,etc), pin this tab
2. Close tab with middle mouse button, then restore it with Ctrl-Shift-T

Repeat step 2 two or three times. Open Panorama menu - you'll see many pinned tabs that actually don't exist.

Bug 2
I've already reported it here: viewtopic.php?p=11353169#p11353169
And few post later you said it was confirmed: viewtopic.php?p=11356073#p11356073

Bug 3
Settings:
extensions.tabutils.autoStack - true, browser.sessionstore.restore_on_demand - true, put Panorama button on Menubar, go to TU options -> Mouse and set Ctrl-click on tab as Select a Tab and Shift-click on tab as Select Multiple tabs.

Now you have to create a four-tab stack by opening four links from parent tab (maybe bug is reproducible with <4 number of tabs), create another panorama-group (in Panorama window by pressing panorama button), create 2-tab stack in this new panorama group by opening link from parent tab.

Switch to first panorama group, close browser. Launch browser, move all tabs using Ctrl-Shift selection to second panorama group (that we created before browser shutdown) - stack is gone.

And there will be 3 more bugs a little bit later! :D
Noooooo

Post by Noooooo »

Bug 4:
(Pretty much like 1st bug)
TU default settings
1. Open a tab with any site (Google,etc), pin this tab
2. Unload this tab using "Restart tab" command in RMB-menu (you'll need to add this option in settings first)
3. Go to panorama menu - you'll see many pinned tabs that don't exist

Bug 5 (not sure):
autostack=true
Open a site in a tab (let's call it tab A), then open a new tab (tab B) and load another site in it. Close tab B, then "open any link in new tab" in tab A - you'll have a stack. Now press Ctrl-Shift-T in order to restore tab B - you'll see that tab B now became a part of the stack though it was a standalone tab!

Another question is why after changing extensions.tabutils.restoreOriginalPosition to false tab B is still restored in its original position.

A picture for better understanding, 4th line - expected behaviour: http://i.imgur.com/LV6YH.jpg 40 kb
Noooooo

Post by Noooooo »

Bug 6 (maybe not a bug):
Why is there no option "Move to another panorama group" in rmb-menu on tab right after TU is installed? It only seems to appear after you open panorama menu and create a new group there for the first time :D

Bug 7:
autostack=true
Open any site in tab, open 2 links from this tab, then open a new tab and open any site in it. You'll have 3-tab stack and a single tab to the right of it
(like this:[parent tab][child tab 1][child tab 2][free tab]

Now move child tab 1 to a new panorama group using rmb-menu: "move to new group". Open Panorama menu and drag child tab 1 back to first panorama group but put it to the right of free tab!
(like this:[parent tab]][child tab 2][free tab][child tab 1)

And then click on free tab in order to go to first Panorama group! You'll see that child tab 1 is colored as if it was a part of the group, but it is separated from this group by free tab!

Let's go to the beginning. If we move child tab 2 or parent tab instead of child tab 1, then there also will be a bug: [free tab] for some reason will become a part of the stack.

Another way to reproduce this bug:
Open any site in tab, open 2 links from this tab, then open a new tab and open any site in it. You'll have 3-tab stack and a single tab to the right of it
(like this:[parent tab][child tab 1][child tab 2][free tab])

Now move child tab 1 to a new panorama group using rmb-menu: "move to new group". Open panorama menu, switch to child tab 1. Rmb on it, move to first panorama group.

Bug 8
autostack=true, TU options ->mouse: shift-click on tab as "Select multiple tabs"

Open any site in tab, open 2 links from this tab - you'll have a 3-tab stack.
[parent tab][child tab 1][child tab 2]
Put focus on parent tab, click with pressed shift on child tab 2 - all tabs will be selected. Now an interesting part.

If you press rmb on parent tab - move to new panorama group, order of tabs won't change;
If you press rmb on child tab 1 - move to new panorama group, order of tabs will change:[child tab 1][parent tab][child tab 2]
If you press rmb on child tab 2 - move to new panorama group, order of tabs will change:[child tab 2][parent tab][child tab 1]

Order of tabs shouldn't change. Thank you very much for creating and supporting this wonderful extension! :D
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

@Noooooo, Thanks for your report. I'll investigate them.
AMD2000

Post by AMD2000 »

Why the ver. 1.1.4 is not yet available like automatic update?
Tnx
K4RBQT99

Post by K4RBQT99 »

AMD2000 wrote:Why the ver. 1.1.4 is not yet available like automatic update?

It has not been reviewed by an AMO editor. It can to take a few days.

Also, if you installed the development version you will not see the 1.1.4 version
addons.mozilla.org wrote:Once you install the development version, you will continue to get updates from this channel. To stop receiving development updates, reinstall the default version

In this last case, you can to want to keep using the development version until the release of the 1.2 stable version, and not lose the new features (tab stacking).
Noooooo

Post by Noooooo »

ithinc, thank you! :D

Bug 9:
autostack=true, browser.sessionstore.restore_on_demand=true, set click on tab with pressed shift as "Select Multiple tabs"

Open a parent tab, open 3 links from it - you'll have 4 tab stack. Now move focus to parent tab, click on last tab of stack using shift-lmb - you'll select all tabs of the stack. Now click with rmb on parent tab - restart tab, all tabs will be unloaded except for parent tab that will load again. Now click with rmb on parent tab again (focus is still on it, tabs are still selected!) - move to new group. You'll see that tabs for some reason started to load though they were unloaded.
teadust

Post by teadust »

Howdy-

Belatedly updated my (Mac) Firefox to 11.0 and downloaded Tab Utilities as previous add-on "Tab Kit" is now incompatible. I feel like someone's handed me the keys to a Ferrari and truthfully, I barely know how to drive. My apologies for this neophyte query, but:

I just want tabs in a subject "group" (or "family"?) to be a different color from other tabs, and to condense/expand a group/family by clicking on the tab. Is this something I can set up with Tab Utilities, or should I just monkey about with Firefox's built in "groups" thing?

Gracias-
teadust
Noooooo

Post by Noooooo »

teadust wrote:Howdy-

Belatedly updated my (Mac) Firefox to 11.0 and downloaded Tab Utilities as previous add-on "Tab Kit" is now incompatible. I feel like someone's handed me the keys to a Ferrari and truthfully, I barely know how to drive. My apologies for this neophyte query, but:

I've also migrated to TU from TabKit! :D

You need to do the following: type in about:config in adress bar, agree with what browser tells you, then type extensions.tabutils.autoStack in search bar and double click on this parameter in order to set it from "false" to "true". Tab stacking is now enabled, there are also some other options like these:
extensions.tabutils.autoExpandStackAndCollapseOthersOnSelect
extensions.tabutils.autoCollapseNewStack

Configure them as you want. Now about "condense/expand a group/family by clicking on the tab". Go to Tools - TU options - Mouse - Lclick - On current tab: choose Collapse Stack/Expand Stack.

But remember TU doesn't detect the color of already existing tabs so it can easily paint the same color two stacks located next to each other! I've already offered a developer to add such feature but he said it would overload the extension.

In order to change the color of the stack you can either stack it again (select tabs of stack and then right mouse button click - stack tabs) or give it a color manually by right mouse button click on tab - Tab Stack - Recolor Stack - type in color you want (red, green, blue, etc). In order to remove manually assigned color, simply delete the typed text from Recolor stack window and click Ok.

Now how to select tabs. Tools - TU options - Mouse - <Shift click or what you want> - On current tab: Select Multiple tabs, if you want you can also set Ctrl-click or what you want to "Select a tab".

Now, if you shift-click on tab all the tabs between current tab and tab you shift-clicked will be selected. Or if you select some tab by pressing Ctrl-click on it, all the tabs between Ctrl-clicked tab and Shift-clicked tab will be selected.

And if you want to group only two tabs, simply drag one tab on top of another :D
rfurb

Post by rfurb »

Hello ithinc,

Thank you for this excellent extension !

Would it be possible to make it compatible to Seamonkey 2.8 ?

So far I have been able to successfully install and use several Firefox extensions
into Seamonkey by modifying the install.rdf file, but for this extension it did not work.

Thanks again,

Rubens
loby

Post by loby »

perhaps a new bug with Firefox 12

1) open and close bookmarks panel Image
2) middle click on a bookmarks folder (or rmb->open all in tabs) doesnt work

Erreur : attempt to run compile-and-go script on a cleared scope
Fichier Source : resource:///modules/PlacesUIUtils.jsm
Ligne : 663
shamu

Post by shamu »

loby wrote:perhaps a new bug with Firefox 12
1) open and close bookmarks panel Image
2) middle click on a bookmarks folder (or rmb->open all in tabs) doesnt work

I'm also seeing this. In addition, without step 1, middle click on a bookmarks folder does work, but only for a while. After that (not sure how long), it just stops working. I'm using Firefox 12 on a Mac, if that matters.
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

Hi,

How can I place the new tab (+) on the tab bar next to the live tab?
Cheers,
Keith
K4RBQT99

Post by K4RBQT99 »

keithy397 wrote:How can I place the new tab (+) on the tab bar next to the live tab?

With 'live' tab you're referring to the focused tab? I don't think there is an addon that supports that.