Fx Addon FireFTP Vs Filezilla, Etc - How Different

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
costark

Fx Addon FireFTP Vs Filezilla, Etc - How Different

Post by costark »

In helping me resolve a system lockup issue my AV vendor requested what became a zipped 500 MB Memory.dmp.
Never having done FTP I Googled and got educated enough to load FX Addon FireFTP. In a follow-up my Vendor suggested Filezilla, which because (I later discovered) it Default specified Port 80 (vs Blank Port box) I couldn't connect and FireFTP worked fine.

Just to Upload big files are there difference in Filezilla and this Fx Addon & others that would matter in the future? I got both to Connect ultimately but know little about the "brands" and advantages of each. FireFTP transfer took 97 minutes but I presume that's "Mostly" my AT&T ISP upload capability.

Thanks for any insight!
W10 22H2 - SSD-HDD i5 12G -
BruceAWittmeier

Re: Fx Addon FireFTP Vs Filezilla, Etc - How Different

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

What FTP (File Transfer Protocol) does for a user is provide the ability to write to different file systems (Unix, Linux, Windows, etc) without knowledge of the receiving system.

FireFTP 2.0.4 is only sightly more than 300K in size and opens within Firefox or a tab/window.

FireZilla 3.5.3 is a stand-alone application that is 4.3MB. It will open in a new Window just like any other Windows application.

I have used both for several years and only once did I have problems. It was with a nightly build of FF and FireFTP version 1.9.4 (I believe). The problem was you could not create/edit a directory name on the server end. All been fixed since that time.

The interface looks almost exactly the same for both. All the Windows capabilities exist - drag/drop, edit/create file names, etc.

My FireFTP default installation (home with no proxy server) does not contain a port number - it shows a grayed out 0.

My FireZilla default installation (home with no proxy server) contains 0 and provides a grayed out range of 6000 - 7000.

I dont know if this helps, but I dont think either choice will resolve an issue with a core dump on a server. A 500MB file is huge. The time should be the same for either choice of programs or addons. The time will be dictated by your internet connection.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
James

Post by James »

FireFTP is a (third-party) Extension while FileZilla is a open source FTP client that has no connection with Mozilla and was originally a computer science class project in 2001.
costark

Post by costark »

Thanks, Bruce, for the education and James for the clarifications. It's a great thing when problems force you to learn new capabilities in computer world. Thanks for the Replies.
W10 22H2 - SSD-HDD i5 12G -