Camino and .pdf problem

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

Duelin

Camino and .pdf problem

Post by Duelin »

intel Imac 3.06 with OS X 10.6.8 using Camino 2.1.2. I have been having problems in the past couple of weeks with opening and down loading .pdf files. Can't view or down load with Camino or Firefox. When try to view all I get is a blank white page. But can can view and down load with Safari and Chrome. Would appreciate any help that you can give me.

TIA
cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Re: Camino and .pdf problem

Post by cflawson »

What are you using to view PDFs?

cl
Duelin

Post by Duelin »

I am using Adobe Reader 10.1.3
cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Post by cflawson »

And you're not using any other PDF viewer plugin? (Adobe's plugin only worked in Safari last I knew, although it might work in Chrome since both are WebKit-based.)

cl
Duelin

Post by Duelin »

I am not sure what happend with this iMac. It has been working without any problems with Camino and Adobe for the last year. I ran a repair permission on everything hoping that would help. But no dice. I just check my Mac Power Book Pro which is running the same versions of Mac Os, Same Version of Adobe and same version of Camino. It is still running just fine (knock on wood). I just check it out and downloaded several .pdf files and opened them fine. You are going to have to forgive me. I am not the most technical geek going. Since I am almost 70 I missed a lot of the technical data that might help me out. I appreciate your help and anyone else that wants to jump in.

Thanks Again
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

Help: Installed Plug-Ins shows the same version of the Adobe plug-in on both Macs? And on both, it's the only plug-in that can handle PDFs that shows up (you can use Cmd-F to search that page for instances of "pdf")?
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino
dukeblue002

Post by dukeblue002 »

I have experienced this exact same problem. One day everything was downloading fine and then I went to view a journal article a few days ago (a pdf file) and it wouldn't open in the browser nor would it automatically download, which is what it normally does. I tried downloading many pdf files today just to see if I could get any to work and they don't. Just like always I click on the pdf file link and it goes to a blank page. No downloading automatically, no viewing. I tried it on Firefox and it wouldn't work either. I tried it on Safari and it works fine. I am thinking it's either a problem with the new version of Camino or a Mac update. I have an Intel Macbook running version 10.6.8. This is extremely annoying and I can't find a single place on the internet where anyone else has talked about this nor do they know how to fix it.
cleanhead

Post by cleanhead »

Same here, exactly as dukeblue describes it. I tried downloading a couple of pdfs that I have downloaded before. No luck in either Camino or Firefox. The workaround is to right-click or control-click on the link and select "Download Link Target..."

Update: I just deleted a file called AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin from /Library/Internet Plug-ins/ which I think was installed in the last update of Adobe Reader. Now downloads are working again.
Duelin

Post by Duelin »

I did a find file for plugin. I got as as far as typing plug into the search field and a window pop up that had the AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin and AdobePDFViewer.plugin in it. I dragged and dropped them onto the Camino folder. So at least I can download a .pdf file now. I have my downloads go to the download folder. But the download manager sit on the desktop. And when I click on open it will open with Adobe. So at least I can download and open now. Hope someone smarter than me can figure out how to view on line now.
HenriHudson

Post by HenriHudson »

Duelin wrote:. Hope someone smarter than me can figure out how to view on line now.

Am certainly not claiming to be smarter, just trying to think out of the box: can you still use google docs to view a pdf?
(Directly enter the following for a url: <https://docs.google.com/viewer?url of doc to view>)
Duelin

Post by Duelin »

HenriHudson wrote:
Duelin wrote:. Hope someone smarter than me can figure out how to view on line now.

Am certainly not claiming to be smarter, just trying to think out of the box: can you still use google docs to view a pdf?
(Directly enter the following for a url: <https://docs.google.com/viewer?url of doc to view>)
I don't know about anyone else but when I click on a .pdf file it doesn't generate a URL. Before it did nothing. But at least now it down loads the .pdf file and I open it up on the desktop.
HenriHudson

Post by HenriHudson »

Duelin wrote:
HenriHudson wrote:

I don't know about anyone else but when I click on a .pdf file it doesn't generate a URL. Before it did nothing. But at least now it down loads the .pdf file and I open it up on the desktop.

If it now works, fine. :-) *Or* you can right-click (or CTRL+click) and copy the .pdf's url, and then paste it in a new page's url as described above.

BTW I've always it found it heavy in ram to use pdf browser plugins for viewing pdfs, hence my relying on Google Docs for this. (This also works with url shortcuts BTW)
sharptailpoint

Post by sharptailpoint »

I'm having the EXACT same problem. I can't download PDFs using Camino on my iMac. I have a MacBook Pro and a Mac Mini both with the same versions of Camino and they work just fine.

I took my iMac to the Apple Store today and can now download PDF's with Safari but not directly with Camino. When I click on a link to download a PDF in Camino, I just get a blank white screen. The Apple Tech found a "get around fix" in this situation where when the white screen appears you go "File Save As" and you can save your PDF to your desktop of anothet folder.

This is a fix of sorts but something is still very wrong with Camino and my iMac. Is there a patch for this or will the next version of Camino address this? I'd rather not convert to Safari but may have to just to be expedient.
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

Just to make sure I understand here: the latest Adobe Reader update also updates the adobe pdf plugin - and adds a NPAPI plugin, that could eventually be compatible with (recent ?) Gecko based browsers. I suspect that plugin might only be compatible with recent versions of Firefox, though. That would explain why Camino tries but fails to display pdf files in the browser, and doesn't automatically download said PDF files. Duelin basically moved the plugin to the camino folder ? Which one ? ~Library/Application Support/Camino ?

I think the best way forward is to delete that AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin - unless you also want to use recent versions of Firefox occasionally.
sharptailpoint

Post by sharptailpoint »

I deleted the file: AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin from /Library/Internet Plug-ins/ and now everything works perfectly!

Thank-you Duelin for your recommendation - it worked! The Apple techs had no clue.