Camino and .pdf problem

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

munro1

Re: Camino and .pdf problem

Post by munro1 »

I have same problem.I tried moving adobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin to Trash; seemed to have no effect. I have found that file among the installed plugins in Camino Help List;
I tried to follow Uncle Asad's suggestion to go to about: config for the hidden pref disablement of the file but I cannot find the about:config to visit. Perhaps it is obvious that like one other contributor I am among the elders so if you have any guidance, it would be appreciated. I think my problem in reading downloaded pdf files started with the upgrade of Adobe Reader to 10.1.3 a few days ago.
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

@munro1

Did you restart Camino after moving the plugin to the trash ? If that doesn't help, delete the pluginreg.dat in your profile folder: ~/Library/Application Support/Camino/ (and the '~' means your 'home' folder).

'about:config' is a special page; type about:config in the location bar and press return (see the top of this page).
munro1

Post by munro1 »

Thank you. I probably did not restart Camino after moving the new Adobe NPAPIPlug-in File to Trash; so I retrieved it when I saw no result. But the about: config advice worked like a treat after restarting. The only bit I didn't quite follow was I saw no indication of what " hidden pref" meant in the context; so I ignored it and just added the file name a s directed into the pop-up box.
.Still, visiting about: config is scary for a first-time visitor like me,(at 72); quite a triumph to have fixed a problem that was troubling me. I also fixed the Firefox problem by going in to their plug-in Help area and using a drop down window that allows you to in effect nominate Adobe Reader to open PDF files. The forum has helped me a lot .Thanks to all contributors and especially phiw13 and Uncle Asad
David Munch

Post by David Munch »

Uncle Asad wrote:The symtoms you've described are exactly the symptoms of having the incompatible version 2.4 or higher of the Schubert PDF Browser Plugin present.

And that was indeed my case. Thumbs up Asad!
Jerry South

Post by Jerry South »

sharptailpoint wrote:I deleted the file: AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin from /Library/Internet Plug-ins/ and now everything works perfectly!

Thank-you Duelin for your recommendation - it worked! The Apple techs had no clue.

I also experienced the same mysterious mess. I was trying to look at a proxy form, and the page was blank. Safari displayed the page fine. It was an inline pdf. I reported it as a bug, and I was told it's not really a bug, but that Camino has no built-in capability to display pdfs inline. I read the thread here just now and deleted the culprit adobe plugin, and yes, now I get the page displayed. I don't understand why, however. Is the Adobe plugin a bad piece of code? This is the first time I've run across this type of failure. It must have happened the last time I updated Adobe reader.
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

Jerry South wrote:I don't understand why, however. Is the Adobe plugin a bad piece of code?

On could say so, considering that it only works with Safari, and makes a mess in (recent) Firefox builds. I've no idea why Adobe released that in its current form.

Jerry South wrote:It must have happened the last time I updated Adobe reader.

The latest Adobe Reader update is indeed the reason, as noted up thread.

Post by 6442747 »

:twisted: :locked:
cleanheads wrote:

"Update: I just deleted a file called AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin from /Library/Internet Plug-ins/ which I think was installed in the last update of Adobe Reader. Now downloads are working again."

This solution was absolutely genius!!! Everything is now back to normal. Many thanks to you cleanhead.