FireFox won't shut down

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
whitepawn

FireFox won't shut down

Post by whitepawn »

Essentially, closing FireFox doesn't close FireFox. I can come back to my computer 2 days later and it will still be running....until I physically go into the Task Manager and End Process. I get the error popup saying it's already running and to close the prior session until I do just this, if I want to re-open my internet browser.

Some details:

Version: 12.0
Add-ons: AddBlock Plus 2.0.3, AnonymoX 0.9.6, Movie Media Player 7, NoScript 2.3.9, Skype ClicktoCall.
Duration of problem: 1 week
Windows7 PC
FireFox process runs at ~85k or greater. Once as high as 1,350k. While it is running in the background.
Last virus check, this week, via Kaspersky, yielded nothing.

I searched forums, yes, but the moderators seem to like fresh posts for this issue and I could not find one dated past 2010.
I used the FAQ. Something about a locked profile there...so I followed instructions which told me to delete the parent.lock file to solve this problem. This file cannot be deleted as it is in use by FireFox. Ok. Close FireFox. The file disappears. It appears/disappears with opening/closing FireFox and thus cannot be removed because when it IS there it IS in use.

So. How do I fix this? I'm not a geek, just a nerd....my ability to troubleshoot my computer is akin to 'shadetree mechanic' so don't assume I know your techspeak when you offer up a solution.
dfoulkes

Re: FireFox won't shut down

Post by dfoulkes »

First... does this happen every time you try to close Firefox?

Not knowing what FAQ you read... I may be duplicating it...
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_hangs

If this problem happens every time then it would be a good candidate to start Firefox in safe-mode and then close it to see what happens. Do it a couple of times just to make sure... it it closes OK then most likely an extension is causing the problem... but not always.
Try running Firefox in safe-mode... do not check any boxes.
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2393747

I do know that Skype issues have surfaced around here... make sure that whatever Skype stuff you have is up to date.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
whitepawn

Post by whitepawn »

Yes. It fails to shut down EVERY time for the last week. I'm on and off quite a bit too, so there's a good sample base. I will check out this safe mode and see what I can make of it and get back.
whitepawn

Post by whitepawn »

Here's a seemingly obvious issue with safemode restart...the restart won't happen under these conditions. The browser is unable to close so while it will shut down, it will not restart (and remains running in the background). Ending the process in the task manager and restarting manually yields a browser with fully enabled add-ons just as before. The process needs to happen manually, via the Add-Ons tab, disabling everything one by one.

That done, I did a Piriform CCleaner wipe and then reenabled the addons, one by one, reloading the browser and checking it's ability to shut down completely.

Skype was the culprit.

While I was able to disable Skype via the Add-ons tab, there was no uninstall option. How do I remove this crap from my browser entirely?
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I would suspect that you might find some Skype stuff in your Win7 Control panel. Anyway, check there for it.

Do you "not" use any Skype apps?... Because Firefox wouldn't have installed it.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Here's the "How-to-remove-Skype-from-Firefox."
> http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/internet ... m-firefox/
When installing (or I think, updating....Not sure), Skype gives the option to install the "Call to...." or something button in Firefox.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Welll, there you go... you saved the day ... again!
Boondockers

Post by Boondockers »

Getting the same problem with Firefox 11 and now 12 Windows 7. The only way to shut down Firefox is to use Task Manager.
Could it be when I moved my Firefox profile from my old XP computer to my new Win 7 computer this is where the problem started?
If so what can I do about it.
Thanks
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

"Usually" if some error was made in moving Firefox over other problems would occur.

Have you tried the safe-mode test from above?

What tools did you use to move that profile over?

And, what Firewall/AV software do you run?