forecastfox problem

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
esmo

forecastfox problem

Post by esmo »

I have been using forecastfox through a number of versions of FF with no problem. Lately it started disappearing from sight and would not run. I am presently in V9 of FF where it had been working, but now it still appears in with the addons but does not start when I start the browser. If I reset it to default configuration and reenter my details it will work till I close the browser. One of the suggested fixes I found was to go back to FF v7 because it was more stable than v9, and the problem was with FF, not forecastfox. I tried running v7, and v11 but got the same failure as in v9. I like the program and miss seeing it on my desktop. I would very much appreciate a fix if any of you has one. If the problem is with forecastfox, could you tell me how to get in touch with the author? Thanks
esmo
LIMPET235

Re: forecastfox problem

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
Your UA says you are using v11.
& from the options in Forecastfox, here's the contact & info page > http://www.getforecastfox.com/
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
kronckew

Post by kronckew »

i'm using forecastfox 2.0.21 in both v 11 & in the nightly 14.0a1 without any problems.
CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Retired: Everyday I make a list of those things
That I am not going to do today, Then I don't do them.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

esmo wrote:I have been using forecastfox through a number of versions of FF with no problem. Lately it started disappearing from sight and would not run.

If it is the Weather.com version of forecastfox then it's not going to work...ever. The weather.com free xml api has been withdrawn by them and this extension and weather related standalone programs will no longer function.

If it is the usual AccuWeather (ironically famous for providing the most inaccurate weather forecasts on the planet) fed version of forecastfox, that still works. Albeit in an inaccurate fashion.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
kronckew

Post by kronckew »

Frank Lion wrote:...If it is the usual AccuWeather (ironically famous for providing the most inaccurate weather forecasts on the planet) fed version of forecastfox, that still works. Albeit in an inaccurate fashion.

yup, accuweather for my working xpi.

seems reasonably accurate for me here in the west of england. cannot vouch for other locations.
esmo

Post by esmo »

Thank you all for your interest. For the record, I am running the Accu Weather version 2.0.21 of forecastfox. I installed the latest version after removing the copy I had been using. It just doesn't work reliably. I have no problem with the accuracy when it works. I still need a fix. Any suggestions?
esmo
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

esmo wrote: Any suggestions?

Not a Fx extension but on XP this WFM, it gets its data from the Weather Channel, aint exactly a Van Gogh to look at but it's pleasantly 'down and dirty'.
http://ravib.com/wm/
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
kronckew

Post by kronckew »

more info needed. what do you mean by 'doesn't work reliably' and 'it disappears'? where does it disappear from; where do you normally display it? i display it in the navigation toolbar of a custom theme.
right clicking the forecast brings up a menu with more options inc. the addon's home page.
esmo

Post by esmo »

The program display appears on my computer at the bottom right of the screen above the the system tray when the browser is running on the desktop. If I switch to another program, or the browser is running in the background, the forecastfox details do not show on the screen. However, when I switch back to the browser, I get the forecastfox display. Also, I do not lose forecastfox when recovering from standby or hibernate. If I shut down the browser, or reboot, forecastfox no longer appears on my screen enen though the browser is running. It still appears as a working add on in the add ons listing. If in the forecastfox add on I click on options > reset to default the display comes back, but I must then change the default settings to my location and options I want. I hope I made this explanation clear. To put it more succintctly, shutting down the browser in effect removes forecastfox from future use till I reconfigure it.
esmo
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

You could ask at their Support page > http://www.getforecastfox.com/

Moving this to the Extensions/Themes Forum...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
kronckew

Post by kronckew »

possibly related to the removal of the lower status bar in newer versions of firefox. i tried moving mine to the status-4-evar v.12.1.14.17 status bar replacement. worked there too. exited/restarted firefox, still there.
i'll try rebooting, but i's say at this point it's best you try the support forum limpet235 posted. looks like you have a hard to reproduce problem. edited:after reboot, still there.
richardna

Post by richardna »

Disappearing forecastfox can be cured by going to "view toolbars" and ticking the addon toolbar. This toolbar will then be there when firefox restarts and with it will be forecastfox.
esmo

Post by esmo »

Thank you for your interest. That is the correct and simple solution. I stumbled onto it while trying various things, and it works.
esmo
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Frank Lion wrote:If it is the Weather.com version of forecastfox then it's not going to work...ever. The weather.com free xml api has been withdrawn by them and this extension and weather related standalone programs will no longer function.

Good news. Weather.com seem to have had a change of heart about their free xml feed that they withdrew last October and weather.com based forecastfox and standalone programs are all back working again.

Oddly enough, having been using a trimmed down version of Weather.com's 5 day weather page as a homepage for the last 6 months, I'll probably not bother with the extension any longer. Let's face it, if you're inside you don't need this stuff and if you need to go out then take an umbrella.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
esmo

Post by esmo »

In case you have a change of heart, it very easy to turn it on or off as the mood strikes you. Go to View>toolbars and there either enable or disable the add on bar.
esmo