Thunderbird 12. Links in received emails don't work

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
jcarerra

Thunderbird 12. Links in received emails don't work

Post by jcarerra »

My wife's desktop. Thunderbird and Firefox.
Clicking on a link in an email does not work.
The link does show in the bottom info bar.
Firefox is set as the default browser.
htm and html are associated to Firefox.
Does not work in safe mode.
Used to work--don't know when it stopped working.

This scares me, because my research on this issue shows that it is common. I have tried all of the fixes I saw while web reading--none worked.

Has anyone defined the true cause and fix for this?
Thunder User

Re: Thunderbird 12. Links in received emails don't work

Post by Thunder User »

I think I have the same problem using TB 12.0.1 on W7. Do you get any messages in the error console?
jcarerra

Post by jcarerra »

Thunder User wrote:I think I have the same problem using TB 12.0.1 on W7. Do you get any messages in the error console?

No errors.

I was able to get it to a slightly better state...to where it will now open the link IF and ONLY IF Firefox is already open. If it is not, clicking a link still does nothing--the link click does not start Firefox and load the page in it. Thus, it is still a major problem.

This improvement resulted from tools>options>attachments, going to the HTM line, selecting "Other" in the drop down, and drilling to/selecting the Firefox executable in
C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\.

But the fundamental problem is still there.
Thunder User

Post by Thunder User »

Sounds like a different issue so YMMV but when I pick Chrome as default browser, links worked for me.
jcarerra

Post by jcarerra »

Thunder User wrote:Sounds like a different issue so YMMV but when I pick Chrome as default browser, links worked for me.

I would rather find a solution to this. I have used Thunderbird and Firefox for years, spent many hours getting them set just like I like, getting fonts just right, getting the extensions I want in them...

so I'd really rather Thunderbird work right.

Post by   »

jcarerra wrote:Clicking on a link in an email does not work.

what happens if you copy the 'link' and paste it into the URL box in Firefox and press Enter ?
jcarerra

Post by jcarerra »

wrote:what happens if you copy the 'link' and paste it into the URL box in Firefox and press Enter ?

That works fine.
CA-girl

Post by CA-girl »

I have long used Chrome as my default browser, so that when I opened a link in my TB mail, it opened in Chrome. I made the stupid mistake of trying HTML-Kit as a text editor and as soon as I did, my links stopped working in TB. I'm in Win7, so went to default programs, which only gives me the option of FF or IE (damn Microsoft!) for browser. I chose one of them (don't like either), thinking I could go into TB and change my default browser back to Chrome. But as soon as I do that, the links won't open at all. Somehow there's a collision between my TB and OS browser settings.

I've been trying to get an answer from the HTML-Kit people as to why they changed my default browser without my permission, but in the meantime, can you give me any idea of why changing my TB default browser to Chrome doesn't work. Thanks. (And, BTW, I can copy the link in the e-mail to the Chrome window, where it will work, but I would rather have a fix than a kludge.)
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy y'all,

one rather warped solution to your "links in [app] don't work" is to force windows to reset things.
=== the easiest way i know of to do that is to ...
- start up ie
- set it to be the default browser
- test the links in tbird

if that works, then switch to firefox or chrome and you otta be golden.

=== the most thorough way i know of to do that is to ...
- back up your mozilla application profile(s) [firefox and tbird]
Profile backup - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
- uninstall the browser [not tbird]
- reboot your computer
- reinstall the browser
- run the browser to make sure it works [*grin*]
- run tbird and try to use a link in a msg

if things work, then you are done. if not, then you may need to try uninstalling & reinstalling tbird.

that process - uninstall/reinstall - is something i presume you have seen before. [*grin*] in windows it is sometimes the only way to force windows to properly set up the connection between "click on a link" and "open link in a browser".

take care,
lee
jcarerra

Post by jcarerra »

This "links won't open in Thunderbird" is an issue that has existed for YEARS. For some people, merely resetting the default browser fixes it. For others, a fix is never found--as on my wife's computer. I guarantee you, you cannot tell me a fix I have not tried. I have spent many DAYS reading the web and trying every possible fix

i did get it to the point that if Firefox is already open, the link click will work; but if Firefox is not open, nope.

Good luck with yours. I hope you are in the group that can be fixed.
12Alex34

Post by 12Alex34 »

Same here :-(
I have used Thunderbird on Macs since Thunderbird exists on Macs. Never had any trouble - until, a few weeks ago, I updated to Thunderbird 12.0.1. (Currently running MacOSX 10.6.8 on MacBook Pro). Now, weblinks no longer open in Firefox, or any external browser. They do open in Thunderbrowse but is impractical on a small screen. Tried everything. No solution :roll: Not a major issue here, but annoying!!! Too bad, forgot about my usual habit of keeping old versions.
Grrrrmmmmmpfffff..... My heart goes out to fellow sufferers on all systems (*hug*)
jcarerra

Post by jcarerra »

I have seen where people have done complete reinstalls but get no fix from it. I believe there are some conditions that change something in Windows (registry probably, maybe in a file somewhere) that causes this, and no one has found what is causing it nor what the real fix is.

And it may be MULTIPLE things that have to change before the phenomenon presents itself.

VERY annoying that Mozilla has not fixed it... just like the Thunderbird changing the font when you move cursor issue--never fixed.
12Alex34

Post by 12Alex34 »

Well, it's the same on Mac OSX. Not about Windows as such, I guess. ... I've always thought the cursor/font thing is just me, has been there from day one. Got used to it :? Good to know others have experienced the same. I hope they'll fix the link issue soon...
Nice weekend everyone! :)
CA-girl

Post by CA-girl »

Anonymous wrote:Well, it's the same on Mac OSX. Not about Windows as such, I guess. ... I've always thought the cursor/font thing is just me, has been there from day one. Got used to it :? Good to know others have experienced the same. I hope they'll fix the link issue soon...
Nice weekend everyone! :)
As a programmer, I know the urge to create newer, cooler stuff, but it does seem that Mozilla should fix the various long-term problems people have reported rather than churn out yet another new version of TB.
gaines2166

Post by gaines2166 »

I had the same problem with 12. Change this to TRUE:

network.protocol-handler.warn-external.http

When you click on a link it will ask you which app to use -- mine offered Firefox as default.