Firefox not handling session cookies as well as IE

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Steve1000

Firefox not handling session cookies as well as IE

Post by Steve1000 »

The text below is a slightly altered quote from:

http://developers.slashdot.org/article. ... /01/018203

"IE (unfortunately) does a very good job at handling session cookies where: Any window launched from a browser window (window.open(), file>new>window, ctrl-N, ctrl-T open link in new window...) should share the same session cookie. Any new Browser window launched from the Operating System level icon or menu should have it's own session cookie.

Unfortunately, this bug has not been picked up and is not on the roadmap for any release.

Some users have serious problem with this bug as it does impact some multi-user security issues."

I have this problem also. It means I cannot simultaneously login to different accounts...as I can with IE.

Does anybody know if a bug report has been submitted on this...is it being worked on?

Steve
smb

Post by smb »

Not helping this much, but just letting you know that it's not just firefox... it happens in netscape as well.
Not sure if gecko handles sessions or not though.

I never thought of this a bug, just a different way of implementation (firefox is not IE). I do see how it could cause someone problems when trying to use 2 accounts at the same time though.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0

Post by Guest »

This really sucks.. I am a webdeveloper, now i gotta put up with this shit :|

Post by Guest »

Deal, dude. A real web developer would know how to.
WinLin

Post by WinLin »

Anonymous wrote:This really sucks.. I am a webdeveloper, now i gotta put up with this shit :|

No you don't, being a web developer has nothing to do with whether a user can share a session cookie across more than one window. The web server has no idea how many windows you have open, nor would it care. A web developer would know that...
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.8)
Gecko/20050511 Firefox/1.0.4 (MOOX M3)
-----------------
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.7)
Gecko/20050421 Firefox/1.0.3 (Debian package 1.0.3-2)
LeRoi

Post by LeRoi »

ford transit

Post by ford transit »

WinLin wrote:
Anonymous wrote:This really sucks.. I am a webdeveloper, now i gotta put up with this shit :|

No you don't, being a web developer has nothing to do with whether a user can share a session cookie across more than one window. The web server has no idea how many windows you have open, nor would it care. A web developer would know that...

thought he was being reasonable and posibly refering to FF being a
mainstrem browser that breaks on easy bits
thus not being worth refering people too and/or making it a moving target compliance wise ...
but what would i know :)

Pete
valery kkk

Post by valery kkk »

ford transit wrote:
WinLin wrote:

thought he was being reasonable and posibly refering to FF being a
mainstrem browser that breaks on easy bits
thus not being worth refering people too and/or making it a moving target compliance wise ...
but what would i know :)

Pete
I think it is not only developers problem, it's a security and privacy volnurability. Sharing cookies among all browsers meens that any website can see cookies stored by all other websites and find out what sites you have visited, what you did, etc. Somebody more creative can even steal cookies and pretend been you whan visiting some web sites. I doubt users if they would have known about it would be happy.

Val
Unarmed

Post by Unarmed »

valery kkk wrote:I think it is not only developers problem, it's a security and privacy volnurability. Sharing cookies among all browsers meens that any website can see cookies stored by all other websites and find out what sites you have visited, what you did, etc. Somebody more creative can even steal cookies and pretend been you whan visiting some web sites. I doubt users if they would have known about it would be happy.

Val

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.
Arjun Dhar

Re: Firefox not handling session cookies as well as IE

Post by Arjun Dhar »

Shouldn't a session cookie be local to that browser widow.

Context: I open a window login; I open another widow to some other site. Close the window I was logged in with a session cookie. Now when I open a new window and view cookies; I still see that session cookie.

But if no Firefox window is open, and I open a new one, then I dont see it.

Clearly this should be a bug! (Version 1.5.0.12) ...has this been fixed?
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"

Post by Guest »

I have a question from the other side of the divide...
I want each new window opened by the user to be treated as the current session page (the same session id) ; it works like this in Mozilla (what is described here as a bug :) ).
I want to change it in IE - to work like Mozilla- any idea for this???

thanku,
Miriam
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Miriam,
Would you please start a new thread.
This one was started 3 ½ years ago. Thank you.
Locking.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)