Nightly Troubleshooting Information

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
smsmith

Re: Nightly Troubleshooting Information

Post by smsmith »

tester3 wrote:Is there anything that I could do to help troubleshoot this? I don't how that could affect roll over buttons.

Find the latest build in which is was working and then narrow down which fixes landed by using the daily builds threads in this forum to see what might be the cause.

You said the are "java" based menu navigations. Do you mean Java or JavaScript? Completely different animals.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
ffnovice

Post by ffnovice »

Hi Folks

I have been using latest Nightly build (i think its 15.01a?) on win 7 64-bit and recently noticed something rather odd.

1) The tab key doesn't allow a change of focus between text boxes in a form.

2) More worryingly, somehow or rather my gmail account remained connected even if I had logged myself out. So for example, say I would log into my gmail and then log out. I saw the usual logged out gmail page. After a couple of mins (i.e. never soon after after logging out), if I accessed gmail, I would see gmail open up straight into my account i.e. without having to log in. I have tried to repeat this error in IE but hasn't happened so far. Is this an issue of Nightly or something else e.g. add-ons (e.g. I had installed adblock lite add-on).

Cheers
subfire

Post by subfire »

I have a white background while images are loading instead of transparent (the same issue on clean profile too). Is there any way to fix this?
http://i.imgur.com/uRz1J.jpg
Zlip792

Post by Zlip792 »

subfire wrote:I have a white background while images are loading instead of transparent (the same issue on clean profile too). Is there any way to fix this?
http://i.imgur.com/uRz1J.jpg

It is intentional change... I remember this bug fixed few days back...
zereth

Post by zereth »

Nightly 15.0a1 has been sitting at "applying update..." in the About screen for several minutes now. I had previously stopped it while doing this in order to reboot my computer, and then after it popped up the "Hey update now" box, that said it couldn't becuase of "Pending update".

Help? :?
James

Post by James »

It can take a moment or two sometimes as I just did a 1.7mb respin update that took about 10 seconds before it even started downloading patch when it is usually starts downloading within a second.
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

zereth wrote:Nightly 15.0a1 has been sitting at "applying update..." in the About screen for several minutes now. I had previously stopped it while doing this in order to reboot my computer, and then after it popped up the "Hey update now" box, that said it couldn't becuase of "Pending update".

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=757711
zereth

Post by zereth »

James wrote:It can take a moment or two sometimes as I just did a 1.7mb respin update that took about 10 seconds before it even started downloading patch when it is usually starts downloading within a second.

I left it sitting there for over 10 minutes, it-Oh the about screen now has a "restart to update" button. And I guess it's a known bug. Okay then! Thanks for your help.
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

Actually, now that I read through that bug and the IRC chat that prompted it, I think you had something else going on.
alex_mayorga

Post by alex_mayorga »

zereth wrote:Nightly 15.0a1 has been sitting at "applying update..." in the About screen for several minutes now. I had previously stopped it while doing this in order to reboot my computer, and then after it popped up the "Hey update now" box, that said it couldn't becuase of "Pending update".

A very similar thing happened on yesterday's and today's Nightly, I reported it to https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=759390#c4 FWIW.
metaphase

Post by metaphase »

patfla wrote:I'm getting lots of hangs in the Windows 64 bit nightlies as of a week or so ago. "Not responding" in the title bar. Eventually returns - doesn't crash - but goes a way sometimes for quite a while.

Adblock Plus 2.0.3
Default 13.0a1
DOM Inspector 2.0.10 [DISABLED]
HP Smart Web Printing 4.60 [DISABLED]
Java(TM) Platform SE 6 U18 6.0.180.7
Nightly Tester Tools 3.2.1.1
S3 Firefox Organizer(S3Fox) 0.6
Shockwave Flash 11.1.102.62
Showcase 0.9.5.8 [DISABLED]
Spam Free Search Bar 1.0 [DISABLED]
Tab Counter 1.9.2 [DISABLED]
Tab Mix Plus 0.4.0pre.120207a
I know this post was from back in February but I'm not on FF13 and I still experience the same issue - did we ever get to the bottom of what was going on? Mainly seems to be an issue only on my Sandy Bridge system...
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

There was a change in the garbage collection system that causes Adblock Plus to essentially run in one container, which is what is causing current nightly hiccups. That might be an oversimplification, but that's my understanding of it.

Things work fine on my work laptop because it's up tot he job, but I've had to abandon nightly at home because this laptop just isn't up to the task.

That said, I think this only started a couple of weeks ago, so it might be some other issue. Try disabling Adblock Plus and see if that helps any.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
metaphase

Post by metaphase »

smsmith wrote:There was a change in the garbage collection system that causes Adblock Plus to essentially run in one container, which is what is causing current nightly hiccups. That might be an oversimplification, but that's my understanding of it.

Things work fine on my work laptop because it's up tot he job, but I've had to abandon nightly at home because this laptop just isn't up to the task.

That said, I think this only started a couple of weeks ago, so it might be some other issue. Try disabling Adblock Plus and see if that helps any.
Thanks but I'm not actually using AdBlock Plus on my system (although the OP was) - my only ones are:
Fox To Phone
Tab Mix Plus
WebSlingPlayer
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

smsmith wrote:There was a change in the garbage collection system that causes Adblock Plus to essentially run in one container, which is what is causing current nightly hiccups. That might be an oversimplification, but that's my understanding of it.

Do you have the bug for the single compartment thing?

I believe this bug has also something to do with ABP and RAM usage/slowdowns: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=752865
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

That's the bug I was thinking of, but I remembered it backwards. Now it's running more compartments than it used to, which is what is causing the increased memory usage and general sluggishness.