[Ext] MoreLayouts (for Thunderbird) 5.9 [2020-01-31]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
world-in-union

Re: [ext] MoreLayouts (for Thunderbird) 2.0 [2011-05-18]

Post by world-in-union »

alta88 wrote:there are still a few technical issues before MultiRow view is releasable. it's not currently envisioned to be freeware though.

I would not mind paying an adequate fee for such a wonderful feature, although I have the hope it might be realeased soon.
alta88

Re: [Ext] MoreLayouts (for Thunderbird) 2.3 [2012-01-26]

Post by alta88 »

crickw wrote:Really nice extension. Thanks!
One observation/bug: Running v2.3 in TB10.0.2 on OSX 10.7.2.
Set View>Layout>Stacked View
Do a search using ⌘K
Choose "Open as List" from results
Results tab is the Thunderbrowse Start tab --- and there is no Thread Pane.
Without MoreLayouts, the "Open as List" shows two panes: the message thread and the list view. The Thunderbrowse Start page shows until the user selects and individual message in the thread. With MoreLayouts, since there is not list view, one cannot choose from the list and therefore the "Open as List" function is rendered inoperable.

Running the same scenario but start with View>Layout>Classic/Verical and the "Open as List" includes a message list view.

Anyone else find this?
Is there a way to change this behavior?

nowhere do i see an Open as List after a search. is this specific to thunderbrowse? of so, it's unlikely i'm going to support it.
crickw

Post by crickw »

Thanks for your reply.

LOL - I disabled Thunderbrowse after putting up my original post thinking it might be the culprit. The problem occurs regardless of Thunderbrowse (with Thunderbrowse uninstalled, clicking Open as List opens a blank page). Net-net, with ONLY MoreLayouts enabled, the problem exists.

First thing to do is to make sure you're seeing the Open as list feature. It's a standard Thunderbird feature. You can see in this image from the Mozilla Thunderbird Features web page:

Here's a screenshot from my own installation showing search results with "Open as List" circled.

Give it a poke. Depending on the search result, Open as List just opens a blank page. Tab back over to your Inbox and change the view from Stacked View to one of the native views (e.g. Classic View). Then tab back over to the search results and click Open as List again. Voila. Works every time.

How can I make Open as List work with Stacked view is selected?
alta88

Post by alta88 »

ah. this is a gloda feature, which i turn off. morelayouts should work in that view, so i'll take a look when i get a chance.
crickw

Post by crickw »

Awesome. Thanks. Will be relief of a true sore spot!
alta88

Re:

Post by alta88 »

crickw

Re: [Ext] MoreLayouts (for Thunderbird) 2.4 [2012-05-26]

Post by crickw »

Version 2.4 fixed the "Open as list" problem!
THANKS!
alta88

Post by alta88 »

joh6nn

Re: [Ext] MoreLayouts (for Thunderbird) 2.5 [2012-08-26]

Post by joh6nn »

More Layouts seems to conflict with the Mail Summaries addon, overriding the Account Summary that is created by Mail Summaries.

steps to reproduce:

1) install Mail Summaries
2) install More Layouts
3) note that the Account Summary pane has been replaced by the default account page.

installing Mail Summaries last will keep the Account Summary page until you select one of More Layouts' optional layouts, at which point in my testing, it is replaced by a blank white page.

i have also filed this issue with the Mail Summaries team: https://bitbucket.org/squib/mail-summar ... re-layouts

please let me know if you need any further information, or need additional testing.
joh6nn

Post by joh6nn »

the developer of Mail Summaries has noted that both addons involved override FolderDisplayWidget.prototype._showAccountCentral, and that it should be possible for More Layouts to instead use an onload event handler on the Account Central Pane (Mail Summaries, it seems, must use an override, due to both needing to modify the account summary url, and also to a race condition that prevents simply setting the account summary url in the app preferences).

I have made some attempts at writing a patch to modify More Layouts to use an event handler, but am reasonably inexperienced when it comes to addons, and haven't had much luck. any help with this would be appreciated.
alta88

Post by alta88 »

that is a strange sense of etiquette . it is incumbent upon a newer (much) extension to ensure compatibility with others. it would be odd, don't you think, for someone to publish an extension that trampled on others and then request (and not even directly) that they fix themselves? there are simple methods to detect any extension's object and handle collisions.
joh6nn

Post by joh6nn »

i doubt that the Mail Summaries developer intended it that way, and any breach of etiquette here is more likely to be mine than theirs, as this is all very new to me. i apologize: any offense here is committed through ignorance, not intent.
christianpatrick

Post by christianpatrick »

I appreciate the layout options. Works perfectly in 24! I would really love to use the MultiRow feature. Any news on that? Thanks again!
alta88

Post by alta88 »

christianpatrick wrote:I appreciate the layout options. Works perfectly in 24! I would really love to use the MultiRow feature. Any news on that? Thanks again!

Thanks. As for MultiRow, it won't be released until there is a way to easily monetize it, meaning most likely the Fx app store being enabled for desktop extensions.
world-in-union

Post by world-in-union »

alta88 wrote:As for MultiRow, it won't be released until there is a way to easily monetize it, meaning most likely the Fx app store being enabled for desktop extensions.

I'd be willing to pay a reasonable price for MultiRow. Any chance I can send you the required amount (e.g. through PayPal) in exchange for the feature?