cannot upgrade Firefox because I am a non Intel MAC

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
jtcdesign

cannot upgrade Firefox because I am a non Intel MAC

Post by jtcdesign »

I have a MAC G5 tower Power PC 10.4.11 and I am running Firefox 3.6.28. I cannot upgrade Firefox because I am a non Intel MAC.

Keep getting a yellow bar up top that says: Some plugins used by this page are out of date.

What do I do?

How screwed am I on this non Intel MAC?
jon wayne

Re: cannot upgrade Firefox because I am a non Intel MAC

Post by jon wayne »

jtcdesign wrote:I have a MAC G5 tower Power PC 10.4.11 and I am running Firefox 3.6.28. I cannot upgrade Firefox because I am a non Intel MAC.

Keep getting a yellow bar up top that says: Some plugins used by this page are out of date.
What do I do?

close the bar, and proceeed ...... forward, HO!
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

jtcdesign wrote:I am running Firefox 3.6.28.

That version is no longer secure. It contains vulnerabilities that were fixed in Firefox 12, and more will accumulate as time goes on.
www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/firefox.html
You can upgrade to a third-party build of Firefox called TenFourFox. However, it doesn't support plug-ins for security reasons (PPC plug-ins haven't been updated in a long time and are now very insecure).
www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/
jtcdesign wrote:What do I do?

You can throw caution to the wind and continue using an insecure version of Firefox with insecure plug-ins. Set plugins.hide_infobar_for_outdated_plugin to true.
:arrow: kb.mozillazine.org/About:config
jtcdesign

Post by jtcdesign »

When you are insecure, what are the consequences?
smiley.

Post by smiley. »

If you don't use it, disable the Java plugin or remove Java.

The main concern is a bad website, or a bad ad on a good website! running harmful code on your computer (a virus, password stealer, keylogger). Flash and Java are some of the big holes that let viruses in, and versions of Adobe Reader before Reader X with the sandbox used to be the biggest hole. Java and Flash code have a lot of cross-platform aspects and flaws can lead to system level access, even on Mac. The only reason that the thousands of times there was a major flaw in Java or Flash did not lead to Mac infections is that the virus writers were too lazy to figure out which files and directories are worth targeting.
Non-tablet Mac users are very wealthy and around 10% market share, so now that a few people have realized that it is possible to make Mac viruses they may become more common.

Other risks are cookie stealing and password stealing. Flaws can allow one website to see the cookies of another, which often would allow someone to log in pretending to be you. They can also trick passwords you have saved into auto-filling into hidden fields on hacker pages that aren't the page the password is intended for.

Still, Mac-aware viruses are extremely rare. With a little luck, and especially if you disable Java, maybe nothing bad will happen. However, if you run outdated stuff and do online banking or even shopping, there is a chance that hackers can steal ALL of your money or your identity. When possible it really would be better to save up for a computer can be secure.

The Noscript extension, if it is blocklisting plugins and scripts on a site, can sometimes prevent these flaws. However, you have to enable scripts on many pages to get them to work. If you enable ALL scripts on a trusted site, that site could still have an Ad that will take over your computer. If you use Adblock Plus as well as Noscript, you are safer as long as you never are fooled into whitelisting or allowing scripts on a bad site. But, say you find a link to awesomecoolnews.com and the menu bar on the side does nothing with scripts off. How are you going to know if you should trust them enough to enable the scripts?
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

With a PPC Mac, you can use TenFourFox, which is more up to date.
http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Unfortunately you can't even get up to date virus protection on OS10.4

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
smiley.

Post by smiley. »

TenFourFox is more updated, but there is no up-to-date Flash plugin. By default Tenfourfox disables plugins for this reason (they can be re-enabled). Discussion here: http://tenfourfox.blogspot.com/2011/07/ ... lable.html and
http://code.google.com/p/tenfourfox/wik ... rSupported
James

Post by James »

And TenFourFox gets mentioned for the third time as if they were the first...