How to remove the new tab about:blank from page history?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Gary King

How to remove the new tab about:blank from page history?

Post by Gary King »

I've disabled the Firefox speed dial for new tabs. However, since today's FF13, whenever I create a new tab and then go to a URL, about:blank is the first page in the tab's page history list. How do I get rid of this?

I liked it the way it was before when the blank new tab page didn't exist in the page history; for one thing, it helps when I've got a ton of tabs open and I feel case closing a tab because the Back and Forward buttons are grayed out, so I know there weren't any other pages that I was working on in the same tab. But now, I've gotta check the page history for each tab before closing it because I'll often click several links in the same tab and intend on moving backwards to read different things (I do also open links in new tabs but I generally like to group together same content in the same tab so I am more focused).

So, any thoughts on how to get the former behavior back?
Thanks in advance!
vsub

Re: How to remove the new tab about:blank from page history?

Post by vsub »

In about config search for browser.newtab.url and once you find it,double click on it and type about:blank to restore it to the previous behavior(no going back to the blank tab)
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

Doesn't happen for me, but my new tab blank page was created by changing pref browser.newtab.url to about:blank Is that what you did or did you just click the grid in the upper right conner of newtab?
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
Gary King

Post by Gary King »

You are both geniuses. Thanks for the help! I should have realized that I was in fact still seeing the about:newtab even though I merely clicked on the top-right corner icon, since the icon still appears even when the page is blank.