Firefox Hates New Flash Update

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Disturbed137

Firefox Hates New Flash Update

Post by Disturbed137 »

Updated my flash player to current version to fix some problems with YouTube loading bar not showing up. It somewhat fixed the problem, but loading bar is still an intermittent thing, and once a video is started, can't use volume keys on my laptop or use alt to bring up the Firefox options menu. Tried IE, and it worked fine with new flash, so it must be Firefox reacting poorly to it. Also, Plugin Container crashes all the time after applying flash update. Hope it gets fixed in a new patch soon.
DanRaisch

Re: Firefox Hates New Flash Update

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Firefox Support.

What was the "current version" of flash that you updated to? Did you uninstall the previous version before installing the newest?
Disturbed137

Post by Disturbed137 »

Flash Player version 11.3.300.257. That is the now current version. Did not uninstall before installing, but there is no trace of the older version on my system.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Adobe recommends uninstalling old versions before installing new ones... give it a try...

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/ ... ninstaller
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Disturbed137

Post by Disturbed137 »

No luck on the uninstall/reinstall. Could be bug on Adobe's part, but I dunno. Will have to ask around to see if there are others with this problem. Hope a fix comes soon. It makes watching youtube videos horrendous.
Matty_m

Post by Matty_m »

Flash Player version 11.3.300.257, I'm having the same problem...and it seems that many paid cams wouldn't work in Firefox 13, but work perfectly in IE with the latest Flash Player version 11.3.300.257!
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

I noticed some unusual behaviour when I updated to 11.3.300.257. Firstly, it did not - as it normally does - ask me to close Firefox during the install. This meant that after restarting I ended up with two Flash plugins installed in Firefox - which shouldn't happen!

Uninstalling and then reinstalling the latest version of Flash removed both plugins and it seems to be working properly: perhaps there's a bug which means the old plugin isn't properly removed - even if it doesn't show up in about:addons?
SantaFe

Post by SantaFe »

I installed the new one after uninstalling the previous version. In Firefox 13 & Aurora 15.0a2, all I would get is a white box where the video was supposed to be. However, when I used WaterFox 13, it works fine even though all 3 use the same profile. Went back to the one I had before, no problems in ANY of those browsers.
matty_m

Post by matty_m »

I think FF 13 screws up big time in relations to the Flash plugins folder, prior to the latest version 11.3.300.257, one can download the install_flash_player_11_active_x_32bit.exe and install_flash_player_11_plugin_32bit.exe and FF would detect those fine, however Adobe got rid of separate downloads for both 32bit and 64bit and with the latest version 11.3.300.257, you can only download install_flash_player.exe and install_flash_player_ax.exe, which includes both 32bit and 64bit and now the Flash plugins both 32bit and 64bit are INSTALLED automatically in separate folders C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash and C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash and I think this is the part FF 13 got confused and got lost, lol.

DO NOT TRUST me, just install Flash Player 11.2.202.235 and check both your C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash and C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash and see what files are inside those two folders

Now install Flash Player 11.3.300.257 and check again your C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash and C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash folders and you will see why FF13 screws up big time....
SantaFe

Post by SantaFe »

Well, just went thru the whole process again, and even though I didn't do anything different, Now it works? Go Figure. I think it's the guys in the big RED helicopters messing with us. ;)
leaderbuilder

Post by leaderbuilder »

Well the latest flash player will NOT work in Firefox (versions 12, 13 and 14b!)
Tried everything here - uninstalling re-installing, updating. Used different versions of Firefox (see above)
Nothing. With flash enabled I cannot use Firefox.
By the way Chrome and IE work flawlessly!
Sucks after a very long time using and recommending Firefox I think I'm done.
Oh and I'm not just a desktop user I'm an IT Executive with 30yrs experience so it's not a user thing.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

leaderbuilder wrote:Well the latest flash player will NOT work in Firefox (versions 12, 13 and 14b!)
Tried everything here - uninstalling re-installing, updating. Used different versions of Firefox (see above)
Nothing. With flash enabled I cannot use Firefox.
By the way Chrome and IE work flawlessly!
Sucks after a very long time using and recommending Firefox I think I'm done.
Oh and I'm not just a desktop user I'm an IT Executive with 30yrs experience so it's not a user thing.

Hey Mister High Powered IT Executive.

I know exactly how you feel. I went out this morning to go check on the wheat harvest and my pickup truck had a flat tire. Why Ford would make a truck that would make a tire go flat I'll never know. Who knows why those high powered Ford executives don't think of us users of their product.

Thanks and have a nice life,
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Win XP likes this New Flash Update here. WFM with Fx 10/13/14.
I always use the Uninstaller and then delete the remaining three or four 'Flash related ' folders it conveniently leaves behind, before installing the new versions.
@A Win 7 thing ?
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
James

Post by James »

Matty_m wrote:Flash Player version 11.3.300.257, I'm having the same problem...and it seems that many paid cams wouldn't work in Firefox 13, but work perfectly in IE with the latest Flash Player version 11.3.300.257!

Flash for IE is a ActiveX version so not quite the same.

Mozilla has tried to get bugs filed with Adobe to get it fixed prior to 11.3 release as per bugs like 759689 as it is not a issue with Firefox 13.0 specifically.
squall_leonhart

Post by squall_leonhart »

This is a bug in firefox itself, aurora and nightly can run 11.3 sandboxed just fine.

Probably one of the recent content container fixes that landed specifically in 15 make up the difference.