Long term future of Camino?

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Re: Long term future of Camino?

Post by cflawson »

I don't think you'll ever see H.264 support implemented in a Mozilla product while the current leadership of Mozilla Corporation is in place. They're too rabidly anti-anything-that-isn't-free-as-in-speech and refuse to use codecs other than Ogg for things like video. So don't hold your breath.

I personally think this is an utterly idiotic way of going about things, and I think most of the rest of the Camino team agrees with me, but the decision is far out of our hands.

cl
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

cflawson wrote:I don't think you'll ever see H.264 support implemented in a Mozilla product while the current leadership of Mozilla Corporation is in place. They're too rabidly anti-anything-that-isn't-free-as-in-speech and refuse to use codecs other than Ogg for things like video. So don't hold your breath.

Hmm: google search (the 2 tophits, ars technica, had a good overview of the state of discussion; but they are currently 404, the revamp broke redirects ?)
But no, I'm not holding my breath… bad for my sick lungs; beside, current thinking at Mozilla Corp wont help Camino anyway.
commenter

Post by commenter »

phiw13 wrote:
cflawson wrote:I don't think you'll ever see H.264 support implemented in a Mozilla product while the current leadership of Mozilla Corporation is in place. They're too rabidly anti-anything-that-isn't-free-as-in-speech and refuse to use codecs other than Ogg for things like video. So don't hold your breath.

Hmm: google search (the 2 tophits, ars technica, had a good overview of the state of discussion; but they are currently 404, the revamp broke redirects ?)
But no, I'm not holding my breath… bad for my sick lungs; beside, current thinking at Mozilla Corp wont help Camino anyway.

In the meantime, leopard-webkit supports full H.264.

Would like to see more robust pop-up blocking in the long term future of Camino.
Last edited by commenter on June 9th, 2012, 6:14 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Armen52

Post by Armen52 »

Actually, a Kickstarter project is not a bad idea. I would kick in for that for sure.
internetzel

Post by internetzel »

What about going the same way as Native Fennec. It doesn't use XUL for it's UI. Cocoa would have to be used instead of Android Java.
As a mozilla project that would be a much better way than adopting WebKit, IMO.
David Munch

Post by David Munch »

Are any of the developers trying to do crude implements of Webkit into Camino at the moment?
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

David Munch wrote:Are any of the developers trying to do crude implements of Webkit into Camino at the moment?

There is no coding occurring on this at the moment.
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino