Nightly Tester Tools Resurrection

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
xabolcs

Re: Nightly Tester Tools Resurrection

Post by xabolcs »

tonymec wrote:Yes, all those ideas sound good to me.

Have You any recommendations for me how to construct this basic support of SeaMonkey?
Because I don't really want to duplicate the browser.js and messenger.js code into seamonkey.js. :roll:
Or I shouldn't care about this? Just copy the code to make titlebar customizing work, and file another bug to refactor / rewrite this customizing stuff into a reusable one ( SM would use both browser- and messenger specific code).

tonymec wrote:Once we start customizing the title in different ways in different windows, we will need some way to keep them apart, of course. I suggest keeping nightly.templates.title as a default for all windows with customizable title (for compatibility with previous versions) and then use nightly.templates.title.browser, nightly.templates.title.mailnews as overrides. These would not have a default, and would fall back to the value of the other option when undefined (but setting them to the empty string would "remove" the default value setting for that window). What do you think? This would provide for extensibility.

That would be nice.

tonymec wrote:About the options, IIUC at the moment the only way to set them is about:config (or the Thunderbird Config Editor). I suppose that if the number and complexity of the options keep growing, at some (indeterminate future) point a Preferences UI will have to be added. I don't think this is urgent, but let's keep it in view.

While using nightly.templates.title.browser and nightly.templates.title.mailnews, how about setting them?
Should I improve options.xul, or it's script to distinguish those preferences?
For example if the options.xul were able to answer "what type of window called me?"
then the browser.js could use nightly.templates.title.browser, the messenger.js could use nightly.templates.title.mailnews and seamonkey.js would use both preference.
Hm? Or leave users alone with about:config and an other filed bug?
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

xabolcs wrote:
tonymec wrote:Yes, all those ideas sound good to me.

Have You any recommendations for me how to construct this basic support of SeaMonkey?
Because I don't really want to duplicate the browser.js and messenger.js code into seamonkey.js. :roll:
Or I shouldn't care about this? Just copy the code to make titlebar customizing work, and file another bug to refactor / rewrite this customizing stuff into a reusable one ( SM would use both browser- and messenger specific code).

I don't know the code well enough to give an answer. In general, the idea would be to duplicate as little as possible: couldn't you use browser.js for the SeaMonkey browser window, messenger.js for the SeaMonkey mailnews window, and add any necessary if statements to take care of the differences?
xabolcs wrote:
tonymec wrote:Once we start customizing the title in different ways in different windows, we will need some way to keep them apart, of course. I suggest keeping nightly.templates.title as a default for all windows with customizable title (for compatibility with previous versions) and then use nightly.templates.title.browser, nightly.templates.title.mailnews as overrides. These would not have a default, and would fall back to the value of the other option when undefined (but setting them to the empty string would "remove" the default value setting for that window). What do you think? This would provide for extensibility.

That would be nice.

tonymec wrote:About the options, IIUC at the moment the only way to set them is about:config (or the Thunderbird Config Editor). I suppose that if the number and complexity of the options keep growing, at some (indeterminate future) point a Preferences UI will have to be added. I don't think this is urgent, but let's keep it in view.

While using nightly.templates.title.browser and nightly.templates.title.mailnews, how about setting them?
Should I improve options.xul, or it's script to distinguish those preferences?
For example if the options.xul were able to answer "what type of window called me?"
then the browser.js could use nightly.templates.title.browser, the messenger.js could use nightly.templates.title.mailnews and seamonkey.js would use both preference.
Hm? Or leave users alone with about:config and an other filed bug?

My idea was to get the code working first, and care about the UI later, unless you have good notions of how to construct the dialog which would be called by clicking the "Preferences" button in the add-ons manager entry for NTT. What is options.xul? With current NTT there is no Preferences button for it.

The idea I mentioned above was that if the getter for nightly.templates.title.browser returns a failure (preference not found), we should get the value of nightly.templates.title and use that. I suppose such a routine could work in both Firefox and SeaMonkey with minimal disturbance, though in practice Firefox users would probably use only nightly.templates.title while SeaMonkey users might or might not use .browser; similarly with .mailer and Thunderbird.
Best regards,
Tony
xabolcs

Post by xabolcs »

tonymec wrote:I don't know the code well enough to give an answer. In general, the idea would be to duplicate as little as possible: couldn't you use browser.js for the SeaMonkey browser window, messenger.js for the SeaMonkey mailnews window, and add any necessary if statements to take care of the differences?

I'll give it a try. I think, something like you wrote should work.

tonymec wrote:My idea was to get the code working first, and care about the UI later, unless you have good notions of how to construct the dialog which would be called by clicking the "Preferences" button in the add-ons manager entry for NTT. What is options.xul? With current NTT there is no Preferences button for it.

Ehh, my fault: options.xul is now called as customize.xul. ](*,) (See this commit!)
So there is no preference window in NTT currently.

My proposal is: improve customize.xul, .js and nightly.openCustomize() to pass the windowtype to customize.xul like here.
And place another NTT menu (but with titlebar customize menuitem only) into SeaMonkey's MailNews window:
  • the main NTT menu in the main SeaMonkey window, with all stuff in it.
  • a little NTT menu in the MailNews window, with titlebar customizing only

tonymec wrote:The idea I mentioned above was that if the getter for nightly.templates.title.browser returns a failure (preference not found), we should get the value of nightly.templates.title and use that. I suppose such a routine could work in both Firefox and SeaMonkey with minimal disturbance, though in practice Firefox users would probably use only nightly.templates.title while SeaMonkey users might or might not use .browser; similarly with .mailer and Thunderbird.

That would be good.

Hmmm, well it's time to take the bug, and get starting. :)
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

xabolcs wrote:[...] place another NTT menu (but with titlebar customize menuitem only) into SeaMonkey's MailNews window:
[...]

Maybe add a new submenu? Tools → Nightly Tester Tools → Options…
But no hurry; and remember the Preferences button in the add-ons manager
Best regards,
Tony
xabolcs

Post by xabolcs »

tonymec wrote:
xabolcs wrote:[...] place another NTT menu (but with titlebar customize menuitem only) into SeaMonkey's MailNews window:
[...]

A new submenu? The "options" menu again?
I don't really want back the options menu because of harth's "take titlebar customization and addon compatibility out of Options and make menuitems" commit. Ergo all preferences is now in the NTT menu.

But if the options dialog is a must then I propose a simple look for it (don't want to revert harth's commit):
  • one (or two in SeaMonkey) button for open up the titlebar customizing window
  • a checkbox to toggle the compatibility stuff
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

xabolcs wrote:
tonymec wrote:
[...]

A new submenu? The "options" menu again?
I don't really want back the options menu because of harth's "take titlebar customization and addon compatibility out of Options and make menuitems" commit. Ergo all preferences is now in the NTT menu.

But if the options dialog is a must then I propose a simple look for it (don't want to revert harth's commit):

hm, OK, not a new options menu under Tools then; but what will a new user get if he clicks "Preferences" after selecting NTT in the add-ons manager? (Later, maybe, but keep in view.)
Best regards,
Tony
xabolcs

Post by xabolcs »

tonymec wrote:
xabolcs wrote:
[...]

hm, OK, not a new options menu under Tools then; but what will a new user get if he clicks "Preferences" after selecting NTT in the add-ons manager? (Later, maybe, but keep in view.)

My proposal is what I said above: some buttons to opening the titlebar customizing dialog / dialogs and a checkbox to toggle the addon compatibility.

EDIT@Wed, 18 Jan 2012 23:41:55 +0100

I made a basic mockup. :)

xabolcs

Post by xabolcs »

Ehhem,

the titlebar customizing for MailNews windows under Seamonkey won't be an easy work. :(

Code: Select all

tabmail.setDocumentTitle is not a function

In suit's tabmail.xml the title setting is fully native. #-o
There are three method: openTab, updateCurrentTab, setTabTitle and each set the document.title by themselves (or what) ](*,)

Should I contribute to Seamonkey codebase a setDocumentTitle? :lol:
Hehe, or we should listen to UpdateMailToolbar notify. :) It is always called after title update.
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

xabolcs wrote:[...] Should I contribute to Seamonkey codebase a setDocumentTitle? :lol: [...]

I don't know. Maybe you should ask on #seamonkey. (Click this link in ChatZilla-enabled SeaMonkey or Firefox; or point your chat client to the irc.mozilla.org server then /join #seamonkey).
Best regards,
Tony
xabolcs

Post by xabolcs »

tonymec wrote:I don't know. Maybe you should ask on #seamonkey. (Click this link in ChatZilla-enabled SeaMonkey or Firefox; or point your chat client to the irc.mozilla.org server then /join #seamonkey).

Before that I'll give a try to setTitleFromFolder().
That function was previously used in Thunderbird.
xabolcs

an unofficial Nightly Tester Tools 3.4 pre-release is availa

Post by xabolcs »

Dear NTT users!

Some feature commit landed in last days to the master tree, so I packed it up in a downloadable xpi and put to my Github page.
Feel free to try it! :)

Nightly Tester Tools 3.4pre

Packed on: 2012-09-28
Built from: mozilla/master@33689844ef85
Change list (from latest public release: 3.3): v3.3 ... 33689844ef85
Download: nightlytt-3.4pre-201209282123-33689844ef85.xpi

Nightly Tester Tools 3.4pre MozillaZine Edition :)

Packed on: 2012-09-28
Built from: xabolcs/branch-mozillazine-prerelease@4a4efeb433bf
Change list (since the release above): 33689844ef85 ... 4a4efeb433bf
Download: nightlytt-3.4pre-201209282200-4a4efeb433bf-mozillamaster+unmerged.xpi

edit reason: fix links
Last edited by xabolcs on September 28th, 2012, 11:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

I've installed the update on the latest Nightly (Win7SP1 64bit and 64bit FF), Aurora (XP32bit), and Namoroka=3.6.29pre (XPx32). It works on all of them.

Given that 3.6 is dead (for some people), the following comments are probably uninteresting to the point of being oppressive and may even draw wrath and ire, but casting my fate to the winds:

1. In the "options" dialogue in Namoroka (3.6), "Open Pushlog between last and current build" and "Crash me!" don't appear.
2. The Copy/Insert the List of Extensions produces different results, depending on where the action is aimed. When I copy them to the cliipboard, everything's fine and dandy. In contrast, copying them into a textbox results in a mass of duplications that I've alluded to in previous postings. Since I'm at least now able to get the correct list into the clipboard, this is a step in the right direction for me.

Thanks for the good work.
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
xabolcs

Post by xabolcs »

JoeG wrote:I've installed the update on the latest Nightly (Win7SP1 64bit and 64bit FF), Aurora (XP32bit), and Namoroka=3.6.29pre (XPx32). It works on all of them.

Given that 3.6 is dead (for some people), the following comments are probably uninteresting to the point of being oppressive and may even draw wrath and ire, but casting my fate to the winds:

1. In the "options" dialogue in Namoroka (3.6), "Open Pushlog between last and current build" and "Crash me!" don't appear.
2. The Copy/Insert the List of Extensions produces different results, depending on where the action is aimed. When I copy them to the cliipboard, everything's fine and dandy. In contrast, copying them into a textbox results in a mass of duplications that I've alluded to in previous postings. Since I'm at least now able to get the correct list into the clipboard, this is a step in the right direction for me.

Thanks for the good work.

Thanks for the feedback!

About Your problems...
pushlog: as I see in the source history it never worked under Namaroka. :(
The showing of that menuitem is based on the repository path.
It is checked against 'mozilla-central' and 'mozilla-aurora', therefore will fail for 'mozilla-1.9.2'.

crashme: this is a known problem (at least for me).
Long time ago the new version of CrashMe Now! was imported to NTT, which only works only with Gecko 2.0+.
But as You could see, there are an xpi for older Firefox too!

extensions into textbox with Gecko 1.9.x
Huhh! Whatta output! Congrat You found a loop bug! Good catch! :)
It's very interesting for me, will investigate sometime.
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

xabolcs wrote:
JoeG wrote:... The Copy/Insert the List of Extensions produces different results, depending on where the action is aimed. When I copy them to the clipboard, everything's fine and dandy. In contrast, copying them into a textbox results in a mass of duplications that I've alluded to in previous postings. Since I'm at least now able to get the correct list into the clipboard, this is a step in the right direction for me.
Thanks for the feedback!
My pleasure.
xabolcs wrote: extensions into textbox with Gecko 1.9.x Huhh! Whatta output! Congrat You found a loop bug! Good catch! :) It's very interesting for me, will investigate sometime.
Sorry to spoil your fun, but I don't think it's a bug.

My profile is a million years old (remember a place/concept called "Deer Park"?), and I'll bet proverbial dollars to doughnuts the mess-up is is related to the idiosyncrasies of my machine.

However, if you really have nothing better to do, I'll be happy to check it for you if you come up with something.

Again, thanks for your contribution.
Last edited by joeg on June 18th, 2012, 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
ltsnow

Re: an unofficial Nightly Tester Tools 3.4 pre-release is av

Post by ltsnow »

xabolcs wrote:Dear NTT users!

Some feature commit landed in last days to the master tree, so I packed it up in a downloadable xpi and put to my Github page.
Feel free to try it! :)

Thanks so much xabolcs. Everything working fine with Firefox 14 and 16 on XP Pro SP3.