How to Revert To Previous FireFox Version?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
lacene

How to Revert To Previous FireFox Version?

Post by lacene »

Hi guys...I'm sure this is somewhere here. Since FF got updated to 13.0.1, I have been having all kinds of problems with my internet: anywhere from constant viruses and trojans being blocked by my AVG on a daily basis (when before I hardly ever got those warning msgs), to now having problems logging on and playing Quake Online. IMO, the latest version of FF is a bit unstable...

How can I revert back to the previous FF version, that was essentially problem-free for me? I'm using an older Windows XP PC. Any help or direction to existing threads on this would be appreciated.

:)
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Dell Inspiron 10thG i7 Win11
beshir

Re: How to Revert To Previous FireFox Version?

Post by beshir »

which previous version that be
estorac

Re: How to Revert To Previous FireFox Version?

Post by estorac »

First, keep in mind that going back to an older version is not officially supported and it could destroy everything. Make a backup of your profile before continuing:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup

If you are getting frequent AVG warnings, you may actually have a virus, and going back to an old Firefox is the least of your worries. Also, of course you know that the current version of Firefox is almost always secure from viruses if you keep all other plugins up to date and that older versions allow viruses in.

Once you have made a profile backup, all that you have to do is install the old version you prefer and turn off updates, under options -> advanced -> update and pick never.

The only supported old version is 10.* ESR, so if Firefox 10 worked well for you, the ESR version of that is supported for a year so you might want to try that.

The installers for most old versions are here: http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla ... /releases/

One way to fix Firefox problems is the reset button - that can now be done with just two clicks - but note that it deletes lots of stuff including your extensions. Read thoroughly before considering it.