MozillaZine

audio streaming

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Recomm

Post Posted February 4th, 2005, 9:56 am

My OS is XP Professional. I can't audio stream a site I use using Firefox. The site requires Windows Media Player which I have installed on my computer. I make a contection to the site but when I click to start to listen there is a RED X and below it states "Applet Player notinted". I still have Windows Internet Explorer and if I use that browser I can audio stream with no problem. It appears that I might not have Foxfire configured correctly. Anyone have a solution Thanks

jqp

Post Posted February 4th, 2005, 9:58 am

rtmjr50

Post Posted February 4th, 2005, 10:10 am

oops ...
Last edited by rtmjr50 on February 4th, 2005, 8:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.

rtmjr50

Post Posted February 4th, 2005, 6:16 pm

Welcome to the world of IE (only for IE) vs W3C (works for all browser)
.... OR .... It works in IE but not in Firefox ....WHY????

FYI: Websites Look Wrong

>>>> Embedded Video/Sound problems and firefox <<<<
    The most likely reason why embedded video/sound (MSN, Yahoo, MSNBC, ABCnews, CNN, MTV, etc) or web site background sound not playing in firefox, is due to "the site" using -> activex, vbscripts, bgsound or other IE Only coding <- which firefox does not support, ONLY IE does!!

(1) -- the easly way to fix this is to use "IEview" extension and load the page into IE to display it correctly.
    The author's homepage for this extension.
    Another solution to "view in IE" is the "IE Tab" extension.
    The author's homepage for this extension.

(2) -- Embedded/Streaming Media Guide (Windows) & Adobe Reader
  • Missing Plugin Alert
    ..... Adobe Reader
    ..... Embedded Real Media Guide for Windows
    ..... Quicktime Guide for Windows
    ..... Step-By-Step Guide: Embedded Windows Media in Firefox
  • Audio not playing, but no Missing Plugin Alert (BGM Conductor extension)
  • Letting Firefox Claim it is Internet Explorer (User Agent Switcher extension)
  • Viewing Launch.com video (Play-Launch extension)
  • Download files instead of opening in browser
  • View Stream files instead of downloading (DownloadWith extension)
  • If all else fails... Despite the web standards and all these guides, many sites have embedded media that will only work in Internet Explorer. If a media file has been embedded using too much non-standard html/javascript, then it will not play in Firefox no matter what you do. This is unfortunate, but there is nothing to be done but use Internet Explorer to view the page in question. Of course, convincing the webmaster of the site to start supporting Firefox can't hurt...

(3) -- Firefox activex plugin for WMP 9/10: Full Step-By-Step Guide: Embedded Windows Media in Firefox .

NOTE: Installing the firefox activex plugin may or may not fix these IE only sites. Of the 8 IE ONLY sites that I go to --> 4 work 100%, 2 work 40-60% and 2 work 0% <---. the problem is the site may be using other IE ONLY coding, and the plugin works ONLY with WMP.

THE BASIC RULE IS, if you see some kind of error message or it just does not play -BUT- "the site" works fine in IE, then more than likely you are at a site that is using activex, or other IE ONLY coding .... to display video/sound. The best soluton (safest) is to use the IEview extension ...
>>>> IE / Netscape Browser ONLY sites and firefox <<<<
    Try using "User Agent Switcher" extension to try to fool the site into thinking you are IE ... doing this may work but you may crash at some point do to the fact that "the site" IS using -> activex, vbscripts, or other IE ONLY coding <- and firefox does not support them ... ONLY IE does!! If you find that using this extension is less than 100%, then the only real option you have is either the "IEview" OR "IE Tab" extensions with this site.
    The author's homepage for the "User Agent Switcher" extension.
>>>> Bad coding problems and firefox <<<<
    THE OTHER REASON why a site does not display correctly in firefox is bad coding ... it is amazing at the amount of bad coding that IE will overlook and still display the page (as far as IE is concern) ... BUT ... firefox will ONLY display the page correctly if it meets W3C web standards.
    The only real option you have is either the "IEview" OR "IE Tab" extensions with this site..... you can try sending a email to the webmaster, and maybe, the reply will not be ... use IE.
  • To check the web page coding:
    Markup Validation Service checks Web documents in formats like HTML and XHTML for conformance to W3C standards.
    W3C CSS Validation Service checks Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) in (X)HTML documents or standalone for conformance to W3C standatrds.
  • To learn about coding to W3C standards:
    W3Schools is the largest "FREE" web developers site on the net. Learn with: (a) Full Web Building Tutorials; (b) Full Web Building References; and (c) Thousands of cut-and-paste - Try-It-Yourself On-Line Examples.
  • W3C Tools (replacements for Front Page, MS Publisher and others):
    W3C Amaya Amaya is a complete online web browsing and authoring environment and comes equipped with a WYSIWYG style of interface, similar to that of the most popular commercial browsers. With such an interface, users do not need to know the HTML or CSS languages ..... and its open source and "FREE".
    NVU Nvu (pronounced N-view, for a "new view") makes managing a web site a snap. Now anyone can create web pages and manage a website with no technical expertise or knowledge of HTML....... and its open source and "FREE".

Later, Richard
Rule #1: My computer is always right, the human is always the problem .. RULE #2: See Rule #1
using Win XP/SP2 (home) FF1.5.0.9 FF2.0.0.1 FF3a1 Tbird1.5.0.9 ==> Press for More Answers <==
No colours in sig please.

Anointedballa

Post Posted June 10th, 2008, 8:47 pm

I have the same question to a certain extent. On my webpage www.anointedbeatz.com on the "beats" section, my flash player works great in ie. But in firefox, the player is 3 times as big as what i set it to be. Is there a way to fix this...i need to know so my customers won't laugh at me:) I'd really appreciate the help

Daifne

Post Posted June 10th, 2008, 8:52 pm

You replied to a three year old topic? And one that's not about Flash on top of it? Please start a new topic. There have been many changes since 2005.

Return to Firefox Support