Encrypting bookmarks with PGP

Discussion of features in Seamonkey
sulien

Encrypting bookmarks with PGP

Post by sulien »

Who can make it possible for bookmarks to be encrypted by PGP in mozilla? Mozilla or PGP? This is a very desirable feature and something that IE provides already.
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen »

Desirable? Why?
I don't see a need to hide bookmarks.
Dunderklumpen

Post by Dunderklumpen »

Encrypit it then - a single file - should not be hard to do eventhough I understand that you, as always, have a demand that Mozilla should be able to do just about anything you can come up with out of the box.
sulien

Post by sulien »

Dunderklumpen wrote:Encrypit it then - a single file - should not be hard to do eventhough I understand that you, as always, have a demand that Mozilla should be able to do just about anything you can come up with out of the box.

How do you encrypt it as a single file? If I open the sidebar to the bookmarks tab and right click I do not get an option on the menu for PGP like I do with IE. How difficult is this to implement into the code? What's required to make it happen?
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen »

Download a program that does it for you, and encrypt the SINGLE FILE that is bookmarks.html in your profile.
sulien

Post by sulien »

BenoitRen wrote:Download a program that does it for you, and encrypt the SINGLE FILE that is bookmarks.html in your profile.

It reads like you mean by doing this ALL the bookmarks would be encrypted. But usually I wish to encrypt only a few select bookmarks not the entire group.
jqp

Post by jqp »

The fact remains that the bookmarks are stored in a single file, bookmarks.html
unless you can figure out how to encrypt part of a file, I don't see it happening.
sulien

Post by sulien »

jonnyq wrote:The fact remains that the bookmarks are stored in a single file, bookmarks.html
unless you can figure out how to encrypt part of a file, I don't see it happening.

how does IE manage to do it then?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

In IE, each Favorite is saved a separate file on your hard drive. Makes it simple to encrypt just the ones you want to.... though why on earth you would need/want to encrypt Favorites or Booksmarks is beyond me.
leishirsute

Re: Encrypting bookmarks with PGP

Post by leishirsute »

Here's why I wish bookmarks.html was encrypted.
I keep my userid/password in the bookmark entry, so that I only have to reference a bookmark's detail to get the login info if I forget it.
I wouldn't need to do this if the Seamonkey Password Manager truly allowed management of password, but it doesn't. It does not allow manual addition or editing of passwords.
Therefore, it would be great to make sure the bookmarks.html file were encrypted.
trolly

Re: Encrypting bookmarks with PGP

Post by trolly »

Locked due to age.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.