Created new FF Profile, now won't save customizations

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Telstar

Created new FF Profile, now won't save customizations

Post by Telstar »

Hi,

Presently using Firefox 3.6.28
Win7

Yesterday afternoon, without me doing anything out of the ordinary, something happened during a long Firefox session, loading of links slowed to the point of distraction and my customizations changed. I got pretty frustrated and closed FF for the day. Today I created a new Profile using the Profile Manager (firefox.exe -profilemanager) and FEBE to restore my Extensions, Bookmarks, Themes, etc.

After setting up customizations (right-click/Customize) I noticed I don't have Icons for Session Manager and QuickNote just to name two that had appear in the customization menu on previous 3.6.28 profiles. So in order to access them, I now need to go to the Tools Menu instead of having a convenient Icon on the Navigation Toolbar that I can click to activate.

Also, when I close Firefox and restart, the customization changes that I made (move Bookmark Icon and Activity Indicator Icon to Toolbar, move Google Search to Customization Menu, all the spaces I added to the Toolbars, etc) are lost (or they revert to default where they are when I first opened this new profile) and I have to start over, only to find they are lost once more upon another restart.

Anything I can do to save the customization changes I want to make?

I'd like to upgrade to Firefox 12.0 (or 13.0) (which I receive daily prompts to do) but many of my Add-ons are still not compatible with the latest versions, so I've been patiently waiting until they are.

Thanks for any help!

:)
edjmn

Re: Created new FF Profile, now won't save customizations

Post by edjmn »

What extensions do you have that are not compatible? There are alternative extensions or updated versions of the extensions that should cover almost all of your needs. Firefox 4 came out a long time ago, and except for Google Toolbar almost all Firefox 4 compatible extensions work in Firefox 13. It is unlikely that waiting patiently will lead to any results. Any extension developer who has not updated their extension since March 2011 (Firefox 4 release) has given up or been eaten by a sea monster.
Telstar

Post by Telstar »

You named one of the Extensions I've come to rely on over the years, and that's the Googlebar 0.9.20.05 (I know there are "many" Google Toolbars available, but I happen to like this one) which is only compatible up to Firefox 5.0 according to the "is It Compatible" Add-on I use.

Another is the FEBE Add-on for restoring Profiles, it's only compatible up to version 3.7. The good news is that QuickNote recently became compatible up to version 13.0, so I'm happy about that. The Spellbound Add-on is compatible only up to 3.6, Tab Mix Plus compatible only to 10.0. So, these are a few of those Add-ons I've come to rely on over the years that I will lose if I upgrade to 12.0 or 13.0.

Ok, I get it...I'll have no choice except to sacrifice Add-ons I've grown accustomed to over the years and it's time to move on to the latest and greatest, but I've stubbornly held out until now...but it looks as though I'll be left with no choice now that my present version is beginning to give me grief and it won't even maintain stability in customization changes I make.

If I do decide to upgrade, and I won't have the use of FEBE for restoring my bookmarks, extensions, and preferences, how can I restore those I'm using now into a new Firefox 12.0 or 13.0 profile (especially my Bookmarks and Bookmarks Toolbar items)?

Thanks much for your input!

Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Telstar wrote:Ok, I get it...I'll have no choice except to sacrifice Add-ons I've grown accustomed to over the years and it's time to move on to the latest and greatest, but I've stubbornly held out until now...but it looks as though I'll be left with no choice now that my present version is beginning to give me grief and it won't even maintain stability in customization changes I make

Could you just point out the most important problem that you want to solve? You seem to be hopping from one subject onto another, etc...
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
James

Post by James »

The Google toolbar extension made by Google has not been supported since Firefox 4.0 as Google finally announced dropping support for it a month after Firefox 5.0 was released at time.

The original author of Spellbound extension has not supported it since Firefox 1.0.* and any attempts after barely made it work and was made redundant when Firefox 2.0 came out with inline spell checker.
Telstar

Post by Telstar »

Frank Lion wrote:Could you just point out the most important problem that you want to solve? You seem to be hopping from one subject onto another, etc...

Could we not be so rude please?

I try to give as much information as I can to reduce/eliminate back and forth commentary and discourse, and sometimes it may not be as precise and to the point as some may like. If you don't see what I'm asking in my opening question, please allow others who don't have the same problem to assist me...thank you!

:roll:
edjmn

Post by edjmn »

Your is-it-compatible extension seems to be giving you lots of bad information.

Tab Mix Plus is compatible with Firefox 13+ (see under the version information)
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... -mix-plus/
The current FEBE extension is compatible with Firefox 13+ https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/febe/

However, I would not use FEBE to restore "everything" into a Firefox 13 profile - it should work, but since it has been so long since you have had a clean profile and some extensions are so old, I would build a new profile from scratch. You can use FEBE to restore just your Bookmarks.
But that is really easy to do with the built in backup and restore features.
http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/bac ... r-computer

Spellbound I agree is gone, but spell checking still exists. Most old google toolbars have gone, but there are new ones, and here is info on how to adjust:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Using_Google_ ... t_toolbars
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Telstar wrote:. If you don't see what I'm asking in my opening question, please allow others who don't have the same problem to assist me...

Except that none are, they are all answering different questions to your original question and you are going along with that.

I wasn't being rude, just trying to clarify and then help. But, after that rolling eyes smilie from you .... **** you.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Telstar

Post by Telstar »

Thanks edjmn.

It's a relief to know I can still use Tab Mix Plus, and FEBE for restoring my Bookmarks, that was one of the main issues since there is so much "history" in those bookmarks, and also .

Your links will be very useful for easing the transition and upgrade.

Should I just go ahead and delete ALL of my 3.6.28 Profiles before upgrading to 12.0 or 13.0 since there may be a certain amount of corruption in them?

Thanks again!

And to Frank Lion: [-X
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Telstar wrote:
Frank Lion wrote:Could you just point out the most important problem that you want to solve? You seem to be hopping from one subject onto another, etc...

Could we not be so rude please?

Frank Lion is not rude, merely English (that is not a slam Frank O:) ). After living in England for a few years I learned that what many Americans might think as caustic or rude is normal. Cultures are all different and this is an International forum.

Telstar, if you think Frank is rude try Manhattan or Paris. :wink:

And by the way, Frank is correct, narrow your focus and we will work on your issues one at a time.

EDIT: One last note for Telstar, see this with regard to your signature

faq.php?mode=rules#f3r1

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
Telstar

Post by Telstar »

RobertJ wrote:Frank Lion is not rude, merely English

Ah, that explains everything...I should have known. :lol:

All is forgiven since it's just a "cultural thing". :D

Many of my questions are being addressed to my satisfaction by "other" contributors, and I thank them for their patience.

edjmn

Post by edjmn »

Do not delete the profiles, they may have passwords or cookies or history entries you would have a hard time finding again.
What I would do, if you are hesistant about if Firefox 13 will work for you, is install the Portable Firefox 13 which lives only in its own directory and is not the default browser. You can attempt to install the extensions you want into it and see if they work ok and if the ones that no longer are compatible make big problems for you. If Portable Firefox 13 seems like it is going to work, then proceed to the next steps:

First, backup your bookmarks - you will want to restore them into new Firefox. http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/bac ... r-computer Save to a folder you can find them.

Then, make a couple of copies of your whole old Firefox Profile directory tree, and put them somewhere not in application data as a backup.
To do this, in firefox go to help -> troubleshooting information. Click either "show folder" or "open containing folder" near where it says Profile Folder. Close the Firefox program and wait 120 seconds. Then, click the up arrow until you are in the application data\Mozilla folder. Copy the Firefox folder from inside there and paste it somewhere you can find it, then rename it to Firefox2 and paste it again.

Then, if you want you could go back to the Firefox Profile and delete the original, but just for fun instead of deleting it you could just install Firefox 13 which will attempt to convert the old profile. This will then tell you which extensions really are broken. It might even just work pretty well. But, remember that you do have so much junk lying around from before. If you have problems in the future, you will very quickly want to consider making a new profile.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Telstar, You may have missed my edit above.

One last note for Telstar, see this with regard to your signature

faq.php?mode=rules#f3r1

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
Telstar

Post by Telstar »

RobertJ wrote:.
Telstar, You may have missed my edit above.
One last note for Telstar, see this with regard to your signature
faq.php?mode=rules#f3r1

No, I didn't miss it. What's wrong with my signature?

Couple of years ago I was asked to change the color, with which I happily complied, but that was the only "complaint" about it at that time.

Is this some sort of retaliation for my tête-à-tête with the English gentleman, who by the way cast the first insulting aspersion?

And, what would my status be now if I had been the one to say to another member here:
Frank Lion wrote:**** you.

:-k
Telstar

Post by Telstar »

edjmn wrote:Do not delete the profiles, they may have passwords or cookies or history entries you would have a hard time finding again.

Thank edjmn, great advice in your post.

I suppose it's time for me to finally do the upgrade to 12.0. and make the best of it.

Saving the bookmarks is a relief and like anything in life, I'll quickly adjust to the changes I'll encounter, and we can all move on.

If I have any issues with the upgrade, hopefully I can post here for any help (if I haven't already) been banned.

Thanks again!