Online - Offline mode

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

ljgww

Online - Offline mode

Post by ljgww »

There is some time that I wish to report this situation with camino.

As it can be noticed Camino shows it is in Off Line mode while in the menu it still shows that it is in online mode. This is picture:

When this happens?

It happens if there is no internet connection (wired or wireless). Camino somehow detect that there is no connection and shows off line mode.

I do run local server so I occasionally need to browse local server even if I am not connected to the internet. In some situations Camino will catch on and display a page from http://localhost .

Camino 2.1.2 / OSX 10.6.8
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Re: Online - Offline mode

Post by Uncle Asad »

Yeah, Gecko automatically detects the lack of network connection and goes offline, but when we hooked up the menu item, we didn't have code to listen for the notification Gecko sends when it autodetects network state. We have a patch to fix that (bug), but it hasn't been reviewed yet.

If you'd like Gecko to not autodetect network state (so that offline mode only works manually, when you choose the menu item), you can set the "network.manage-offline-status" hidden preference to false (unfortunately, that pref does not exist by default, which means you have to add it manually by editing prefs.js in your profile, which is…complex) :-(

(Also, it's probably a bug in Gecko that visiting localhost doesn't work in offline mode; phiw13 might know better.)
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino
ljgww

Re: Online - Offline mode

Post by ljgww »

Hacked "hidden" pref. Works in this way better for me.

If there is no connection, and I request internet page, it reports page could not be found - of course - there's no connection ... :) However, localhost is displayed with no complains. This is as far as I need it to go. (not scared of new amusing quirks and pref change caveats, though not recommending it further)

Thank you! I feel like having special treatment :)