OS X Mountain Lion stops SMTP

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
tonyfirshman

OS X Mountain Lion stops SMTP

Post by tonyfirshman »

Since installing Macbook Mountain Lion OS X today, smtp does not work:
---------
Sending of message failed.
Please verify that your Mail & Newsgroups account settings are correct and try again.
--------

This for both the previously working smtp entries under Lion.
Thunderbird also fails to save in my remote (IMAP) drafts directory.

Apple Mail sends OK.

My IMAP incoming for both programs is working.

TB 14.0
tonyfirshman

Re: OS X Mountain Lion stops SMTP

Post by tonyfirshman »

... and why is the date stamp bugged: Posted Wed Jul 2012 8:35pm
emesscee

Post by emesscee »

I've got the same problem. Looks like it has problems with POP accounts.
tonyfirshman

Post by tonyfirshman »

I don't think receiving (POP or IMAP) is relevant here. I suspect saving drafts also uses SMTP (sending).
Brandon11111

Post by Brandon11111 »

I'm getting the same problem, and since my work requires it this has become a huge issue. I've set up hundreds of email accounts in the past, and have tried both imap and pop.

I hate to say it, but this appears to be an Apple issue, and not a user issue. This is the only topic I've seen so far addressing this huge issue. I fear due to Apples lack of admitting fault, this could take awhile to fix. If this ends up being the case, I'll end up discontinuing 10 years of dedicated apple usage, and over 30 thousand dollars spent on apple products.

I develop software, and am very knowledgable in the field. This is an inexcusable glitch, that happened to work in lion. This was a careless mistake from a developer, and should have never left Beta.
tonyfirshman

Post by tonyfirshman »

Don't over-react (8-)# If you use IMAP, then all works from Apple Mail. If not then use POP in Mail temporarily. Keep messages on server so that TB picks up mail as well. As you say this is likely to be a *huge* issue for everyone. As it is likely not a user issue, it should get attention from both Mozilla *and* Apple very quickly. There are aspects of Mail I don't like (attribution and inability to remove incoming attachments primarily) but it WORKS.
Brandon11111

Post by Brandon11111 »

Your right, a lot of my response has to do with me consistently working on fixing this for the last four hours. While also preparing for a team of staff, and clients to be shortly in the same boat as myself with no ability to fix the issue for them.

Here's the part that's worrying me the most though. It's not the same issue for everyone that upgraded. For instance my bosses upgrade worked flawlessly, and he has no issues. So unless the issue is raised multiple times, with growing concern. I could see this getting pushed to the side by apple. I don't believe this is a mozilla issue, and it scares me that the only topic I've found on the subject is on a mozilla forum.
emesscee

Post by emesscee »

tonyfirshman wrote:I don't think receiving (POP or IMAP) is relevant here. I suspect saving drafts also uses SMTP (sending).

I agree. No problem receiving messages. Only when sending out. It seems that the Apple Mail client cannot contact the POP SMTP server properly.
Brandon11111

Post by Brandon11111 »

emesscee wrote:
tonyfirshman wrote:I don't think receiving (POP or IMAP) is relevant here. I suspect saving drafts also uses SMTP (sending).

I agree. No problem receiving messages. Only when sending out. It seems that the Apple Mail client cannot contact the POP SMTP server properly.

Just to clarify, I am receiving messages. The issue is sending them out. Still trying to fix the issue, I'll post a resolution if I find it.
tonyfirshman

Post by tonyfirshman »

I have started https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4138678

I presume the tech details are picked up automatically. Why "10.8", "10_8" and "10_8_0" variously? Mine is correctly showing "10.8". What does "Mozilla/5.0" relate to? My Thunderbird is 14.0 which is what I expected to see.
Interestingly Mac Forums now use the name "Mountain Lion". It has been numbers up to now.
MattN

Post by MattN »

tonyfirshman wrote:As it is likely not a user issue, it should get attention from both Mozilla *and* Apple very quickly.

If nobody files a bug in bugzilla then it won't have the attention of Mozilla developers. I've filed a bug on this issue for those affected: bug 777631. We need more information to help diagnose the problem such as:
  • What error messages show in Tools > Activity Manager when this happens?
  • What error messages show in Tools > Error Console when this happens?
  • Does this apply to all SMTP servers?
  • Does it happen for every sent message?
  • Have you tried disabling the OS X firewall temporarily to see if that resolves the issue?
  • What version of Thunderbird are you running? Does it also happen on Alpha/Beta/Nightly builds?
  • Does a re-install or new profile of Thunderbird solve the problem?

Please comment in the bug with this requested information.

Thanks
tonyfirshman

Post by tonyfirshman »

> What error messages show in Tools > Error Console when this happens?
None

> Does this apply to all SMTP servers?
Yes

> Does it happen for every sent message?
Yes

> Have you tried disabling the OS X firewall temporarily to see if that resolves the issue?
Doesn't help

> What version of Thunderbird are you running? Does it also happen on Alpha/Beta/Nightly builds?
14.0 production

> Does a re-install or new profile of Thunderbird solve the problem?
Download and "re-install" cured. Interestingly both new and old are "14.0". The installation was a drag to Applications, and I got a warning saying the 'new' .app was older.

Yippee.
MattN

Post by MattN »

tonyfirshman wrote:
<snip>
> Does a re-install or new profile of Thunderbird solve the problem?
Download and "re-install" cured. Interestingly both new and old are "14.0". The installation was a drag to Applications, and I got a warning saying the 'new' .app was older.

Yippee.

Thanks for answering the questions and I'm glad a reinstall (copy over the app) worked for you.

After re-install did you get a dialog related to GateKeeper? What are your Gatekeeper settings? This may be because Thunderbird is not yet signed with an Apple Developer ID. Perhaps Mountain Lion doesn't handle existing apps that are installed before Gatekeeper takes effect and puts restrictions on it? Perhaps Thunderbird was running in a Sandbox and only certain ports were opened for it? I'm just speculating based on what I've heard about the OS X sandbox and gatekeeper.

You didn't answer the first question
What error messages show in Tools > Activity Manager when this happens?
which would be very helpful to learn more about the cause. If you or someone who has the error could check what error messages appear there then it would be greatly appreciated.

Another thing for people with this bug to test is running this in Terminal:

Code: Select all

spctl -a /Applications/Thunderbird.app
and see if anything is output. And running

Code: Select all

xattr -l /Applications/Thunderbird.app
and seeing what it outputs.
Leo86

Post by Leo86 »

hi, here is leo, form italy. Installed mountain lion yesterday and i have the same problem!

how long do you think it will take apple to solve the problem?
FredrikR

Post by FredrikR »

Same problem here after installed ML.

smtprelay1.telia.com, mailout.telia.com and send.one.com does not work here....