Plugin Container for Firefox has stopped working

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
MePe

Plugin Container for Firefox has stopped working

Post by MePe »

Since the update, I have not been able to watch flash videos or youtube videos on firefox because it would cause it hang. The task manager would say firefox was still working, but it would not respond to anything I clicked. So, I just managed by using another browser for video content.

But now, firefox has gotten worse. Sites that I never had a problem with are now causing it to hang. I don't know if like an advertisement isn't meshing well with firefox or what, but it's a royal pain in the *** now.

I have to alt+ctrl+delete to close firefox. A window then pops up and says plugin container for firefox has stopped working. I'm not sure what exactly that means. I only have 1 plugin installed and turned on, but I never had any problems with it prior to the firefox update.

I've read through a couple of threads, but it's so full of loops and circles that it's frustrating trying to diagnose and fix this on my own. I do not want to uninstall and never use the 1 plugin I have because that's the whole reason I downloaded firefox in the first place.

Help?
dfoulkes

Re: Plugin Container for Firefox has stopped working

Post by dfoulkes »

You mention some threads that you've read but not which ones... so these may be duplicates...

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1929983
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1929275
viewtopic.php?p=9530495#p9530495
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
doogieTHElock

Post by doogieTHElock »

Those articles didn't apply to this issue. Any other resources? Did the OP find a solution? It looks like this issue shares search properties with other problems so it's difficult to figure out what we're having a problem with. So to be clear, it's a freeze with no "not responding" message that requires the user to Cntr-alt-del out of firefox (Alt-F4 has no effect). This happenes within the first couple of seconds of several types of video players, youtube being the most used. Proposed solutions have been to reset the timeout through (about:config -> dom.ipc.plugins.timeoutSecs > and changing the value to -1)
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I have no problems running any Flash related vids. The OP stated that the Plugin-container stopped working (per the topic title) so that is why I posted those three links... they basically relate to that issue.

Since the OP didn't post back here there's no way to determine if a fix was found in those docs.

Though this doc. is a cover-all one it may lead to a resolution. If not then you might want to start a new topic as it might get more attention.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_-_Firefox

Also, as a simple test and since the problem surfaces in a short time after starting to watch vids you might try this....at least it will eliminate extensions as being the problem... and I think that the above link includes this run-mode...
This is only for Firefox safe-mode...Don't check off any of it's safe-mode boxes...
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

The first to check would be that the firewall (or other security software) isn't blocking the plugin-container process.
mhowie

Post by mhowie »

Just experienced this...was printing a completed reservation via the add-on "Universal Print". Don't know if there is a connection between printing using that and this crash, but wanted to identify as a data point.
--Howie

Post by Guest »

Having the same problem that Firefox plugin has stopped working - I cannot play any facebook games. What is there Problem?
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Try your games while Firefox is in safe-mode... if it works in that mode I'll bet it has something to do that that Google toolbar you've installed... as far as I'm concerned it cause more problems than it's worth...
This is only for Firefox safe-mode...Don't check off any of it's safe-mode boxes...
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode

EDIT.... and do this....
From a prior post from Dan Raisch (with minor changes) ...

Clear the browser cache (Tools->Clear Private Data->select cache->click on "Clear Private Data Now" button).

(If using Firefox 3.5.(or above) use menu path Tools->Options->Advanced->Network tab->click on "Clear Now" button.)

Delete any cookies relating to the site(s) involved (Tools->Options->Privacy->Show Cookies button).
Last edited by dfoulkes on December 31st, 2010, 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You may need to increase the hang timeout.

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Plugin-contai ... ss_plugins
jumdn(*k9

Post by jumdn(*k9 »

Is it possible that chrome is causeing this whole damn thing. I have heard that chrome takes over a lot of protocals and holds your internet usage hostage to the point where it is the only ISP you can rely on when in fact it just screws up paths that make firefox and cometbird to work properly.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

1 Neither Chrome nor Google is an ISP.
2. Wacky conspiracy theories are discussed in the After Dark forum, not in Support.
3. You've posted to a thread that died out 18 months ago. Locking this due to the age of the original posts.