Firefox Crashes Upon Opening

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
lifemage

Firefox Crashes Upon Opening

Post by lifemage »

I woke this morning, turned on my pc, and everything seemed normal till I went to open Firefox. I tried several times and all it does is flash for a second and then disappears with a window that pops open that states that there appeared to be something wrong, with an apology and that it had crashed. I put my email in to send information to Mozilla. I started it in safe mode, which worked for a bit, but then it did the same again. I then decided to uninstall it (kept settings), restarted the pc and then reinstalled it. It worked for a couple of seconds again and then repeated the same problem over and over. I then decided to uninstall all of it, including the settings (lost every boomark and all), restarted and then reinstalled. It still proceeded to do the same thing again. Internet Explorer is working just fine (amazingly lol), but I don't want to have to download a different browser. I wanted to know what I could do to fix it. I also checked to make sure that the vid driver was up to date. I ran CCleaner, which came up with nothin gout of the ordinary. Then I ran Malware Bytes (after having updated it), and then ran AVG (after having updated it too) and it showed no viruses. I ran a quick scan online too, with nothing showing up as a virus. I have am running Windows Vista Home 32 bit, service pack2. It has an AMD Sempron(tm) Processor LE-1250 2.20 GHz with 2GB RAM. I currently have Firefox version 14.0.1.4577 installed with no add ons. I can't get it to open long enough to actually reinstall any add ons. It doesn't even stay running in safe mode. I would appreciate any help I can get. I know my pc is an antique lol but it works really well and in the 4 years + that I've had this pc, this is the first time I've had any problems with Firefox, so thanks for a job well done! Just need to figure out what's going on now that's different and why it worked one minute and not the next. Thanks in advance.
JayhawksRock

Re: Firefox Crashes Upon Opening

Post by JayhawksRock »

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
lifemage

Post by lifemage »

Thank you JayhawksRock, but I have seen those pages and went through them following the directions. I do not have any of the programs listed that have been known to cause issues. I do have NVIDIA, but I always did and haven't updated that in ages and haven't updated Firefox in a week or more. All the things I listed above were covered in those links and it's made no difference. I understand what it says about it being difficult to diagnose problems, but after a clean install of Firefox, there's nothing else to do that I know of. Nothing works and there doesn't appear to be any virus or maleware, adware or spyware ... it just does not make sense lol The pc has had absolutely no other issues today .. none ... not even lagging and the pc has been on all day and I've used various programms .. I'm just wondering if something has happened with Firefox that I don't know about. The other pc that's networked and we're on the same router and all, doesn't seem to have a problem with Firefox, so I'm not sure why I do. There's nothing in those links that is different than what I've already done. Thanks anyway and hopefully can get this sorted tomorrow somehow.
RPea

Post by RPea »

my computer at work doesn't crash, but the one at home does... =/
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

Have you tried shutting down your Security software.. A/V Firewall etc, Sometimes a Anti Virus update can do it and mine updates 2-3 times a day. What Security stuff you have installed? Maybe someone knows if it has problems. Many of us use Avast Free with all of the Crap that installs in Plugins turned off. I personally turn off any sandboxing goin on too..

Also you said you can start is Safe Mode ok , if you can startup, Disable every plugin you have and then see what happens.
Last edited by JayhawksRock on August 7th, 2012, 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln

Post by Guest »

Could you post 2 or 3 of the links shown if you go in the url bar to about:crashes. Right click and copy the link.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Are you using the Google website as the startup home page?

In that case a possible cause is a problem with the hurdle 2012 doodle that Google is currently using on its main search page.

Choose a different home (startup) page like about:home or about:blank

Bug 734921 - Startup Crash @ _moz_cairo_destroy
Bug 773097 - crash in gfxContext::~gfxContext()
lifemage

Post by lifemage »

Firstly, thank you for all the help everyone. Here's the links from the crashes ... http://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/i ... 6522120807 http://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/i ... 6662120807 http://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/i ... ba12120807 There's 3 for you. Also, so you know, all the plug ins and addons were uninstalled, not just turned off. Yesterday, it wouldn't work at all even in safe mode. If I said it did, then it did for a couple of seconds, but not long enough to change things. I had to do that manually lol The security software I'm using is AVG, and I must say that I keep a lot of it turned off, like automatic updates. I'd rather check once per day than to constantly have it eat up my speed online. I switched the homepage now as well. It seems that Firefox is working this morning. I'm not sure what was different because before I shut the pc down last night, I tried it one more time and it didn't work. I didn't submit a crash report for each and every single time it happened, although I did send quite a few lol I doubt there's anything anyone can do now as it's working but I'm going to use it and see what happens throughout the day. No offence because you've all been lovely in here, but I hope I don't have to see you again lol Thanks again for all the help!
lifemage

Post by lifemage »

Ok, so I was wrong lol Firefox worked great for an hour or so. I had to leave to go shopping and when I got back, it's back to the same as it was yesterday. I did find out, however, that I can open a link from email with Firefox, but I cannot open from any shortcut or from file. I had changed my homepage, so I know it isn't that again, but it opened up the forum from email. I hope someone has a suggestion because having sites send emails with the links is just a pain lol Thanks again for any help you can give me! :-)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

When you referred above to a clean install of Firefox, did that install include deletion of the previous profile? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox
Jackandwillsmom

Post by Jackandwillsmom »

I had my default home page set to Google.com and the new hurdle jumping game Google has out is crashing Firefox within 2 seconds. I changed my homepage and it fixed it.
lifemage

Post by lifemage »

As for the question by Dan, yes, I did uninstall and even did a clean using Ccleaner afterwards before restarting and re-installing, as stated in my first post because I lost everything when I did it .. bookmarks and all. As for Jack, I changed it and it didn't work. Thanks again for the help!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Uninstalling does not remove the profile data unless the user selects the check box to remove user data, and I'm not certain that using Ccleaner is a good idea. It could have messed up or deleted the profiles.ini file so that Firefox can't start, but not removed the actual data files of the old profile.
no-good-deed

Post by no-good-deed »

Same set of problems - firefox 14 crashes on startup. I can go into safe mode. track a problem to changing "remember history" to something other than "remember history" (tools/options/privacy). "Never remember history" or "custom settings" will always crash on startup, "remember history" does not crash.
lifemage

Post by lifemage »

Yes, Dan, I know. I used all the links I got from Google when working with the profile. I used the search function and copied and pasted the %APPDATA% thingy ... don't remember the whole thing in my head. Then there was only one that came up and I deleted it. I guess since it's not in the installation folder, it doesn't get uninstalled with the rest of Firefox. As for using CCleaner, I hadn't used CCleaner in a couple of months before the problem started, and I don't use the registry cleaner, just the temporary files and that is the only program that's safe for those purposes anyway, at least by every person I've ever met in the pc tech kind of industry (including the people who built this pc). I was told to never use a registry cleaner, so I don't.

I know what you mean No-Good-Deed, but mine wasn't even working in safe mode lol I couldn't access anything through Firefox and actually had to do everything manually without bringing up the browser lol Thanks again for the help Dan.