Messages marked "read" when moved to trash?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
jsachs177

Messages marked "read" when moved to trash?

Post by jsachs177 »

Thunderbird seems to be marking messages as "read" when they're moved to the trash folder, even if they've never been displayed.

I think this is a new "feature" in version 13. I think I would have noticed it before if it had been happening before.

How can I change it?
wtf808

Re: Messages marked "read" when moved to trash?

Post by wtf808 »

why are you moving it to trash if it hasn't been read [-(
jsachs177

Post by jsachs177 »

Because a large proportion of the email I receive is junk, and I have no reason to open it. I understand that many people share this situation. :-)

I delete unopened mail from the trash box when it is one week old, and opened mail when it is six months old. This keeps the trash box from getting stuffed with junk, while allowing me sufficient time to retrieve anything I move to trash by mistake. I've been following this practice for years, and it works well for me, but Thunderbird is making it impossible.
jsachs177

Post by jsachs177 »

Guest, I looked at the page you suggested, but I don't see how it will help. It would save me the trouble of deleting the messages myself, but it wouldn't observe the distinction between opened and unopened messages, which is already lost.

If I misunderstood something here, please clarify.

Post by Guest »

jsachs177 wrote:Thunderbird seems to be marking messages as "read" when they're moved to the trash folder, even if they've never been displayed.

are you talking about moving to trash manually?
probably that process of selecting and moving the message, causes the message to become marked as Read
jsachs177

Post by jsachs177 »

I'm not sure I understand your question. I move messages to trash by deleting them from another folder, usually the inbox. I would characterize that as "moving to trash manually," and I can't think of any way to move them to trash that isn't "manual" in that sense.

If you're wondering whether I physically drag the messages from the inbox to the trash box -- no, it never occurred to me to do that (although I don't see why it should produce a different result).

Until I found the "Automatically mark messages as read" option and turned it off, I had to go to some trouble to delete messages without getting them marked as read in the process. I hoped that changing that option would correct the problem I've described here, but it did not.

Post by 808 »

jsachs177 wrote:Thunderbird seems to be marking messages as "read" when they're moved to the trash folder, even if they've never been displayed.
simply selecting the message will mark it as Read if
(•) Immediately is filled in
http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s43 ... iately.jpg

jsachs177

Post by jsachs177 »

808, you misinterpreted what I wrote.

Yes, simply selecting the message will mark it as read if the "automatically mark messages as read" option is turned on. As I said, before I changed that option "I had to go to some trouble to delete messages without getting them marked as read in the process." Specifically, I had to click another message, then ctrl+click the message(s) I wanted to move to trash, then ctrl+click the message I originally clicked to deselect it, then press Delete. That let me select the messages without marking them as read, but Thunderbird still marked them as read when I deleted them.

As I also said, "I hoped that changing that option would correct the problem I've described here, but it did not."

The problem is not caused by selecting the message, or by somehow moving the message to the trash folder "manually." It is caused, inherently and so far unavoidably, simply by moving the message to the trash folder.