Non-tips in the tips thread

User Help for Mozilla Firefox

a way to go back

Post by Guest »

Opera has a neat little feature for going back while searching--its called a mouse gesture. Does mozilla have tab extensions for something like that? Someone needs to make one if not. Maybe like hold right mouse button, wheel click back, or forward to go forward.
Jim D

Re: a way to go back

Post by Jim D »

Anonymous wrote:Opera has a neat little feature for going back while searching--its called a mouse gesture. Does mozilla have tab extensions for something like that? Someone needs to make one if not. Maybe like hold right mouse button, wheel click back, or forward to go forward.

FF has the equivalent extension, called (not surprisingly) Mouse Gestures. Information and a list of default gestures can be found at
http://optimoz.mozdev.org/gestures/

Among others, moving the mouse to the right (with the appropriate button held down) goes forward; moving left goes back.

-Jim
Richardus

Post by Richardus »

• Many of the tricks and shortcuts are in Help --> Help contents (or press F1)
  • If you have installed the "Auto Copy" extension, and dont want to have the status of it on the status bar, type about:config in the location bar, and set autocopy.optStatusBar to "false".

You can always enable/disable its status by right clicking anywhere on a page, and checking or unchecking the AutoCopy option
veloce

Post by veloce »

Saved form information soon becomes a huge list. Internet explorer allows the user to highlight and delete individual saved form items. Firefox does not seem to allow this.

When the list becomes too cumbersome, I am forced to delete all saved form information and start over.

Is there a way to delete selected items?
Old RPGM35

Post by Old RPGM35 »

highlight>shift+delete
jjmancini

Post by jjmancini »

That is awesome guys!

Thanks for the tips, the mouse gestures are awesome! Takes a little getting used to though.
J.J. Mancini
www.frunder.com
Old RPGM35

Post by Old RPGM35 »

Ctrl+D will bookmark this topic :D
Ander

Post by Ander »

You can turn off that strange burping sound that occurs when you type text that Firefox can't find:

(1) In the address bar, type "about:config" (without the quotes).
(2) In the list that appears, double-click this line:

accessibility.typeaheadfind.enablesound

...so that it says "false".
SnowTigress

Post by SnowTigress »

If you highlight part of the address that you're at, and drag it down to the page (but not in a form) it will go to that page.

Also, if you highlight, drag and drop an address that's printed on the page to the location / address bar, you'll go there.

If you find a word or phrase you want to look up, highlight it and right click on it. Choose "Search web for" and it'll open google in a different tab, with the results of your search.
TitoMB345

Post by TitoMB345 »

GNTMN wrote:If you have password manager and grow tired of being prompted
for the "master password" for every passworded page
Tools>Options>Saved Passwords>Change Password
leave "enter password" & "re-enter password" blank.
Use this only if you have a good memory, or your list of passwords
nearby.

Thank you!!! I came here looking for this, and found it here. Awesome!
Jim D

Post by Jim D »

dubek wrote:Tip: Typing a few words (with spaces between them) in the URL bar and pressing [Enter] sends them to Google using the "I'm feeling lucky" method (automatically goes to the first one on the result list).

Example: typing "new york times" brings you to www.nytimes.com .

You can change the behavior by using about:config and setting the value of keyword.URL to the appropriate string.

E.g.,. I want a normal Google search result, so I use

"http://www.google.com/search?btnG=Google+Search&q="

This is described at:

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/djst/arc ... 06406.html

-Jim
KevinR

Post by KevinR »

If you're on a webpage which has URLs on it that aren't links, you can highlight them and drag them straight onto the Tab Bar to open them.
AkiraBsAs

Post by AkiraBsAs »

I'm sorry.

But I've been struggling for the last 2 years to find the right mouse button on my Mac, and now you guys are telling me there's a middle button !! ?
carl0ski

Post by carl0ski »

Ander wrote:You can turn off that strange burping sound that occurs when you type text that Firefox can't find:

(1) In the address bar, type "about:config" (without the quotes).
(2) In the list that appears, double-click this line:

accessibility.typeaheadfind.enablesound

...so that it says "false".

thank god !!
this will also solve the problem of sound in linux failing for other programs when firefox is using your sound card.

namely XMMS error "something is blocking your soundcard"
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

jason oneil wrote:To open a new tab from the address bar quickly,
press F6 or Alt+D to select the address bar. Type in the address of the website (eg http://yahoo.com) or a search (eg "google computers") and then press Alt-Enter. The address or search will automatically open in a new tab, and select that tab.

A quick note:
Alt+Enter doesn't work on win 98/ME and is a known BUG