New Customization/New Menu UI mockup

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Omega X

New Customization/New Menu UI mockup

Post by Omega X »

Today while skimming the various meeting notes for this week, I came across these gems in the Planning Notes:
https://people.mozilla.com/~bwinton/aus ... ation/mac/

Pay attention to the new toolbar underneath the browser's toolbars (the Lord of the Rings background will confuse at first). Then click the Menu Button at the far right. Clicking on Customize will animate in an interactive mock up of the new window.

Also, this video on animated options:
http://people.mozilla.com/~zfang/Custom ... tClick.mov
streetwolf

Re: New Customization/New Menu UI mockup

Post by streetwolf »

Wonder if I'll see the new UI in my lifetime? I'm not getting any younger. :-)
Intel i9-13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO DDR5 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 @ 6400 Mhz.
H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler | PNY 12GB GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | 2 CORSAIR 2TB MP600 PRO XT GEN 4
HX1200 PLATINUM PSU | XENEON 32" IPS UHD 144Hz | BenQ 32" UHD | MS Windows 11 Pro
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

Meh, they can't make simple tab animations work, more stuff the folks at FantasyLandUI.. that will never see the light of day.
Zlip792

Post by Zlip792 »

New UI is expected to land in next cycle as per latest reply on one bug here:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=672885#c86
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Oh it will land but you want to bet it will be backed out again for performance reasons?
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Drumbrake

Post by Drumbrake »

streetwolf wrote:Wonder if I'll see the new UI in my lifetime? I'm not getting any younger. :-)

Sure,install Chrome and you'll get an instant sneak peek at Firefox's next changes :mrgreen:
I wonder how they manage to feel not ashamed at all of lifting stuff from Chrome,add a couple of tweaks here and there and dish it out:isn't the GUI chromified enough,with the ugly looking buttons and the recent idiotic changes in the favicon/identity block compartment of the URL bar?
nadark

Post by nadark »

I fully expect this in Firefox 37.
Rodze

Post by Rodze »

Hopefully I will not see that UI in my lifetime.
Glibnes

Post by Glibnes »

Drumbrake wrote:
streetwolf wrote:Wonder if I'll see the new UI in my lifetime? I'm not getting any younger. :-)

Sure,install Chrome and you'll get an instant sneak peek at Firefox's next changes :mrgreen:
I wonder how they manage to feel not ashamed at all of lifting stuff from Chrome,add a couple of tweaks here and there and dish it out:isn't the GUI chromified enough,with the ugly looking buttons and the recent idiotic changes in the favicon/identity block compartment of the URL bar?

Actually, Chrome copied the menu button look (those three horizontal lines) from Shorlander's mockups. I noticed that in Canary build a few days ago. So Chrome stuff is not saint either...
Srap

Post by Srap »

Glibnes wrote:Actually, Chrome copied the menu button look (those three horizontal lines) from Shorlander's mockups. I noticed that in Canary build a few days ago. So Chrome stuff is not saint either...

Same as the Panel Based Download Manager. It just doesn't matter who came up with the ideas or who made the mockups. 97-99% of the users will know nothing about this. Most of the tech/info sites will know nothing about this. The only thing matters is, who implemented it first.

Mozilla should just stop releasing these mockups, GUI-designs and all related things: not even half of these will land in FF (years later), and publishing these will have no other result than feeding the other browser vendors' designers.
Sorry for my bad English. Even if there wasn't a mistake.
Drumbrake

Post by Drumbrake »

Actually,I didn't want to emphasize who is getting there first as much the fact that Firefox (IMHO) is getting more ugly and chrome-like day by day:no matter who is getting a specific idea first,they're generally heading in the same direction of an ugly,flat and impersonal GUI,too much businesslike,whereas Firefox 3 theme was (still IMHO) distinctive and characteristic.
sabret00the

Post by sabret00the »

I like how the tab bar is conspicuously missing from the mockup.
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

When you look at the latest reports that Chrome user base is increasing while IE and Fx are decreasing it's no wonder that they are trying to look like Chrome. Personally I hate everything Google but lots of folks love Google and the minimalistic Chrome.
Intel i9-13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO DDR5 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 @ 6400 Mhz.
H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler | PNY 12GB GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | 2 CORSAIR 2TB MP600 PRO XT GEN 4
HX1200 PLATINUM PSU | XENEON 32" IPS UHD 144Hz | BenQ 32" UHD | MS Windows 11 Pro
LionandLamb

Post by LionandLamb »

Zlip792 wrote:New UI is expected to land in next cycle as per latest reply on one bug here:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=672885#c86

What does "next cycle" mean...Does it mean tomorrow's nightly build??
kilara1988

Post by kilara1988 »

I think next cycle means the next release cycle-which means the date Beta->Release,Aurora->Beta,Nightly->Aurora and Latest Nightly gets a version bump.