Multiple Firefox instances as separate taskbar pins

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
popobot5000

Multiple Firefox instances as separate taskbar pins

Post by popobot5000 »

I've actually had this problem for years, I just never got around to fixing it--well, I'd try, but reach dead ends.

I am running Windows 7 and using the latest version of Firefox (14.0.1), though these problems have persisted for years. I have two Firefox profiles, and I run them in separate Firefox instances using the shortcut extensions:

(First profile)
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -P "default"

(Second profile)
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -P "SECOND" -no-remote

I've never been able to get these to function exactly the way I want to. For the longest time, I could not get external links to load to either instance, but getting rid of the "-no-remote" in the first shortcut seems to have helped that. One issue I still grapple with is Taskbar functionality.

I have Firefox pinned to the taskbar; when clicked, it opens the default profile, as intended. I have created a second pin for the second profile, but when I click on that, that instance doesn't "live" in the pin I set up for it; instead, it becomes part of the first Firefox pin.

Is there a way to have two separate Firefox instances exist separately on the Windows 7 taskbar?
the-edmeister

Re: Multiple Firefox instances as separate taskbar pins

Post by the-edmeister »

I believe that you would need two separate Firefox installations (separate firefox.exe files) and maybe rename one of those executables to something unique - like firefox2.exe - for Win7 to use two separate "pins".

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

You can use 7 Taskbar Tweaker if you want to prevent particular applications from grouping on the taskbar.
rammichael.com/7-taskbar-tweaker
popobot5000

Post by popobot5000 »

Although 7TT is fun to play with, it's not addressing my problem. For the first pin, when I click on it, Firefox boots AS that pin, whereas clicking the second pin, Firefox spawns a window separate from the pin. I've messed around with 7TT, and no tweaks there seem to correct this.

I tried copying/pasting Firefox.exe with a new name and pinning that, but the results are the same. I suppose I'll have to see if there's a way to install a second installation entirely. Thanks to both for your tips.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Do a Custom Installation and select the install location yourself.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Installing_Fi ... l_Location

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.