How do we test new "social" stuff?

Discuss application theming and theme development.
KLB

How do we test new "social" stuff?

Post by KLB »

The nightly theme changes thread lists a whole mess of CSS changes related to a new "social" feature. How do we test this stuff? :-k
Ken Barbalace - AMO Editor (I focus on reviewing themes)
I maintain Classic Compact, a very compact yet clean Firefox theme.
EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Periodic Table)
Frank Lion

Re: How do we test new "social" stuff?

Post by Frank Lion »

about:config > social.enable > true.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
KLB

Post by KLB »

Thanks!

Even in Nightly, it looks like it still has a long ways to go before it is ready for prime time.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

And Frank you are right, that icon is horrendous. I only know what it is because I saw the original icon in their older documentation. The 3D paper airplane really doesn't fit into the visual language of the rest of the theme.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

patrickjdempsey wrote:The 3D paper airplane

I genuinely would never have, ever, thought of that! People overthink these things, that capital S one I did conveys the idea of something being shared between the blobs on the ends and, if they don't get that, then S is short for 'share'. How hard was that?

At this stage, coding this lot is 5 minutes work - there's a social folder in browser/ that, er, has 1 image in it. There's the share images and states randomly, Lynchknot fashion, just dropped in browser/ and some 'code' in browser.css which you just @import url into your own .css in the social folder.

The share button thinks that it's a toolbarbutton as well as a button, so you just have to tell it to use a transparent background to stop the usual 'Wow, there's my whole toolbar.png!' stuff.

It'll be ages before they finish that 'feature'.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
KLB

Post by KLB »

In the end, what is this new social feature supposed to do?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

KLB wrote:In the end, what is this new social feature supposed to do?

No idea.

I treat all friends of mine as individuals, so of course I don't do this scattergun social networking stuff that treats friends like clones of each other or 'Brady Bunch' type stuff.

It's bound to just be 'whoa, seen this link?....lmao....lol.....i ve exact same problem....that chick looks like brenda from kmart...' type stuff.

However, I do know that there are 2.2 billion people on the Net and 900 million Faceborg accounts, so however it is supposed to work, I'll make sure it'll work right on my stuff.
patrickjdempsey

I think the idea is supposed to be that you give MooTown your Twitter and Facebook logins and whenever you press the button it automatically shares the link in Facebook and Twitter. You know, the same thing that half-a-dozen extensions out there already do better. It's basically the ultimate lazy social media addict crutch. It serves no actual purpose and is IMO just another thing that someone else could hack into.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

I login with Mozilla Persona, but can't figure out how to use irc.mozilla.org.

I could install the Chatzilla extension, or use Thunderbird Instant Messaging (coming in TB 15), or another chat client, but I would like to know how to use the new "social" stuff.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
patrickjdempsey

I don't think it's meant to replace chat, unless that's a feature in MooTown, which probably won't get much traction outside of Moozoola employees, and then only if it's just an IRC client like ChatZilla.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

patrickjdempsey wrote:I don't think it's meant to replace chat, unless that's a feature in MooTown..

Yep, I've got this stuff worked out now. There's a sidebar that leads to MoTown and I've found out what MoTown is at last (1:11 in)

So, I'm going to 'share' the link - -

...so this social stuff is something to do with either the Mafia or Hyman Roth (damned if I'd want that as a first name, but each to his own)...seems an odd thing to put in as a browser feature, but Chrome must already have something like this and it all got confused in the copying stage to Firefox...or something.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

patrickjdempsey wrote:I don't think it's meant to replace chat, unless that's a feature in MooTown, which probably won't get much traction outside of Moozoola employees, and then only if it's just an IRC client like ChatZilla.

It is a feature in MooTown, and just another way to use chat.

When I click Show sidebar, and click the Get Started button, it opens https://motown-dev.mozillalabs.com/ which shows a Mozilla Persona login, and three sections called Meet the Mayor, IRC as the Network, and Relevant Feeds.

When I use my persona login, and view my profile, there is this message along with my IRC nickname in the Networking section..

MoTown uses IRC to update your availability and chat to other Mozillians. Currently we're only supporting this on irc.mozilla.org. We only support irc://irc.mozilla.org

The sidebar changes to a MoTown section above, and a Contacts section below, so I'm believing that I am connected to the MoTown channel, but see no contacts listed, including myself. I don't see anyway to join another channel, which I'd like to do just to test.

I guess I will have to be patient since it is in development, and I think other chat servers will be allowed in the future.

One nice thing I have noticed is the "Remove from Nightly", which I'm sure many will do if it stays, and becomes "Remove from Firefox".

Just fired up chat in Thunderbird beta to see if there is a motown channel, and there is, with 9 contacts showing.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
patrickjdempsey

Who outside of programming development actually uses IRC? Heck, who uses ANY chat clients at all any more now that SMS messaging and Facebook chat are ubiquitous?

I would say Mozilla is out of touch, but I'm pretty sure I already have about a million times.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Don't all channels connect directly to Asa? After all it is his baby :-"
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

WLS wrote:... it opens https://motown-dev.mozillalabs.com/ ...

Which uses googleapis. :evil:
Theme Development is Radical Participation.
NNL Beta Builds for Current and Up-coming Firefox
Dear User: Your Help is Needed