Xmarks bookmark sync crashes Firefox

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
tanstaafl

Xmarks bookmark sync crashes Firefox

Post by tanstaafl »

I'm using the latest Firefox 15.0 beta. Every time I try to synch my bookmarks using Xsync 4.1.10 (latest version - released June 13, 2012) it crashes (program is non-responding error message etc.) after about 10 seconds. Disabling all other add-ons, restarting has the same problem. The only (real) plug-in I have is Flash.

Suggestions? I used to use Aurora up to about 3 weeks ago with the same profile, and it did not have this problem. I don't want to go back to Aurora.
KWierso

Re: Xmarks bookmark sync crashes Firefox

Post by KWierso »

Are there any crash reports in about:crashes?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Yes. Just http://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/i ... 8c22120824 . All of the other crash reports it mentions were held back from submission by Mozilla (throttled), which is annoying. It says 91% of memory was in use at that time. I was running Firefox with no tabs (just the home page) plus Thunderbird 14.0 at the time. My copy of Thunderbird normally takes about 50MB of memory (its small since I have global search and offline folders disabled, and use mainly IMAP accounts).
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

Can you open task manager and watch memory usage next time? That crash report's pretty useless.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

When it becomes "program not responding" the amount of memory is still changing. It averages about 654MB, but ranges from 566MB to 664MB. I was also running process explorer which reported a (virtual memory) peak private bytes of 871,800KB, virtual size of 1,048,780KB and a (physical) peak working set of 787,196KB for Firefox. My PC has 3GB of RAM and a 3GB swap file.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

1. About how many bookmarks are you synching?
2. How may computers are you syncing to the Xmarks account.
3. Have you successfully synched on this computer before?
4. How large is the places.sqlite file in your profile
5. Are you including syncing history in your settings, if yes, try without.

I'm suspecting a possibly corrupt places.sqlite file
Do you have recent .json backups in bookmarksbackup folder?
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

1. Not sure. At least a couple thousand.
2. Just one.
3. Yes. My last sync was a couple of weeks ago using the same profile but using Aurora.
4. 10,240KB. I have history disabled.
5. Its only configured to sync bookmarks. It doesn't sync history or passwords (neither of which exist, anyways).

I have a .json backup from yesterday so I could try deleting places.sqlite but let me try installing Aurora first (even though I don't want to use it) as if sync still works with it that is a quick way to rule out multiple causes.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

You were reading my mind ... Good Luck :)
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Aurora (16.0a2) crashed (not even a program not responding) when I tried to sync. https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/ ... 4f52120824

I'll delete places.sqlite next.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I deleted all three places*.* files in the profile, started Firefox 15.0, and tried again. Same symptoms. Looking in my profile I don't have any places*.* files.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

tanstaafl wrote:I deleted all three places*.* files in the profile, started Firefox 15.0, and tried again. Same symptoms. Looking in my profile I don't have any places*.* files.

The file may be hidden, make sure windows is set to view hidden files. A places.sqlite file should be created on the creation of a new profile. Also your OS security may be messin with the installation.

If files are missing after install you can try the following for a reinstall
DanRaisch wrote:Close all applications and reboot the computer.
Delete any downloaded or partially downloaded installer files.
Clear the browser cache (of whatever browser you are using to download FF) and the Windows Temp directory.
Shutdown any anti-virus software you are running.
Download a new copy of the full installer from http://www.mozilla.com
Delete the directory C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
Run the installer.
Restart the anti-virus program.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Windows Explorer is configured to show hidden files and folders. I did not create a new profile, I used the same profile with both Beta and Aurora. I'm using Vista with UAC disabled and running with admin privileges, so OS security is normally not an issue.

I guess I could create a new profile and import my bookmarks, copy my prefs.js , userChrome.css and cookies.* files and then re-install my add-ons but I'm reluctant to do that. Looking at the xmarks add-ons page on AMO it says the latest version is 4.1.0 but searching the complete versions list I spot a 4.1.2 from August 17, 2012 . http://download.xmarks.com/download/firefox also lists 4.1.2. I think I'll try that first.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I had to also copy permissions.sqlite (it had the cookie exceptions) but I created a new profile (with a places.sqlite). Sync worked. Thanks. I'll start re-installing my other add-ons.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

tanstaafl wrote:I had to also copy permissions.sqlite (it had the cookie exceptions) but I created a new profile (with a places.sqlite). Sync worked. Thanks. I'll start re-installing my other add-ons.

Great News. =D> Amazing what a new profile will do and it is so simple to do one.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Both the .json bookmark backup I explicitly created just before creating a new profile and the one from yesterday were way out of date. Lets just say I've lost any faith I had in .json based backups. I had to switch to the old profile and export the bookmarks as a html file to be able to import the right bookmarks.