Thunderbird 15 extremely slow displaying large emails

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
backwoodsman

Thunderbird 15 extremely slow displaying large emails

Post by backwoodsman »

It takes almost 4 seconds to load and display a 130K email. A much slower machine with an older version of Thunderbird displays the same email in less than half the time, and TB 14 on this machine was faster than that before it upgraded to 15. This is very inconvenient when trying to scroll through a folder. Is there a way to fix this, or will it be fixed with an update soon?

This is on Ubuntu 10.10, in case it matters.
smsmith

Re: Thunderbird 15 extremely slow displaying large emails

Post by smsmith »

Does this also happen in safe mode?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
backwoodsman

Post by backwoodsman »

smsmith wrote:Does this also happen in safe mode?

No, it doesn't. Thanks for pointing that out. I traced the slowness to the Ubuntu Unity integration addon. Doesn't look like it can be removed, but it can be disabled. It loads large emails much faster now. :)

I don't use Unity, and it's not even installed, but this still bit me. Why do they do things like that to us? I use Linux partly to get away from over-eager developers who think everyone wants every useless bell & whistle known to man on their machine, but they got me anyway. :(
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

If Unity isn't even installed, they must be bundling the extension with their version of Thunderbird. You can avoid it all together by uninstalling however you would normally do that, and then install a build from mozillamessaging.com:
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/all.html
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
backwoodsman

Post by backwoodsman »

I did find that it can be uninstalled via the package manager (the usual Linux way of adding & removing software). Tbird still shows it as present, but maybe it'll go away on the next reboot. Regardless, I'm not too worried about it since it's now disabled.

P.S. A corollary to one line of your sig: Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach him to use the internet, and he won't bother you for weeks. :)
shaneonabike

Post by shaneonabike »

backwoodsman wrote:
smsmith wrote:Does this also happen in safe mode?

No, it doesn't. Thanks for pointing that out. I traced the slowness to the Ubuntu Unity integration addon. Doesn't look like it can be removed, but it can be disabled. It loads large emails much faster now. :)

I don't use Unity, and it's not even installed, but this still bit me. Why do they do things like that to us? I use Linux partly to get away from over-eager developers who think everyone wants every useless bell & whistle known to man on their machine, but they got me anyway. :(

Wow thanks for reporting that I suddenly was having the same issues and this package was the issue!