Completely removing the Babylon Toolbar extension

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Samartha

Re: Completely removing the Babylon Toolbar extension

Post by Samartha »

To remove the babylon search in address bar, reset the keyword.url in about:config.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Sure, until you restart the browser and then whatever horrible piece of junk that put it there to begin with will put it back.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
nnn_nz

Post by nnn_nz »

Finally, I cannot be more thankful. Followed the about:config step and then deleted user:js and Pref:js entries and it is finally gone. =D>

Thank you
squall_leonhart

Post by squall_leonhart »

preferences cleaner makes this much easier
Platon_

Post by Platon_ »

^ Thanks for this. Great tool!
Wyrdsister

Post by Wyrdsister »

I also have to extend thanks for the existence of this thread. Yesterday, Babylon downloaded onto my machine (and I'm not entirely sure how, but that's beside the point). After ploughing through everything to uninstall it properly, and reset my home pages, get rid of it from my search preferences, and do a manual search of my computer to delete any stray folders and files it had left behind, I had to plough through the help forums to get rid of it from new tabs that opened and I also noticed that whenever I restarted Firefox, the extensions.babylontoolbar information would come back even though I'd reset it the session before.

This thread has helped me solve that problem as I didn't know anything about pref.js and user.js files until now. I have just one question: now that I've emptied the babylon references from these two files, my user.js file is completely empty (the babylon toolbar was the sole information in it). Can I delete the user.js file from my computer completely?
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

Yes, it can be recreated if and when it is needed. It is merely a plain text file with a .js extension
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
Babylon.LTD

Post by Babylon.LTD »

Dear Users:

Babylon Offers a full service for all its products and features valid from the Babylon Store and on the world wide web,
You can gain a full support and assistance on how to remove Babylon from your computer by the following ways :

Phone-18668086361 (US)
Email: Support@babylon.com
Website for Chat and Q& A : http://support.babylon.com/

Babylon holds more than 150 Million Clients worldwide, with reputation for 15 Years, Babylon has no intention to destroy that reputation and therefor offers help and assistance for anyone who seeks for ,
In order to make sure the Software will work or be removed if the client requires it ,feel free to contact us
Thank you in Advanced

Babylon
:)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Babylon.LTD wrote:You can gain a full support and assistance on how to remove Babylon from your computer by the following ways :

Phone-18668086361 (US)
Email: Support@babylon.com
Website for Chat and Q& A : http://support.babylon.com/

https://support.babylon.com/index.php?/ ... eb-babylon

Btw your https link above is broken, which figures, I suppose. :-k
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
99butcher99

Post by 99butcher99 »

patrickjdempsey wrote:About:config entries for extensions persist until you remove them. Right-click each one and select reset.

i followed all the suggestions here and Babylon has changed. It now runs something called browser manager that resets everything continually. You cannot get rid of it. You cannot shut it down even using task manager. You cannot shut down the threads either. These people should be in jail.
I ended up booting into an old version of windows I had installed on a different drive. I could then delete browser manager.exe. Rebooted back into my good version of windows and then could follow the other suggestions here to remove it and all traces. I regedited to get rid of all traces there of babylon and browsermanager and then did the about:home about:config suggestions and finally hours later it is gone. I am sure there must be an easier way to get rid of it but this worked for me. Maybe boot into safe mode?
patrickjdempsey

Usually it's installed via some program in Windows Control Panel Add-Remove programs, and it's not always obvious.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Babylon.LTD

Post by Babylon.LTD »

You can also follow those instructions :

Go to Control Panel, click Programs (software).

Uninstall "Browser Manager" + "Bprotector" + "Object Installer" + "Babylon Toolbar on IE"

Then depending on which browser you use , follow the relevant steps:

----------------------Firefox ---------------------------

> Open a new Firefox window (website)

> Go to Tools> Options> and go to change your order, the Home. ( f.e www.google.de) and click OK.

> Remove the search engine of Babylon by clicking the small arrow next to the icon of Babylon

> Manage Search Engines

> select Babylon and Remove

> Close Firefox and open again

> write in the address Bar "about:config " and click Enter

> Write in the search engine "Babylon."

> Click on any 'Babylon' preferences with the right mouse button and select "Reset"

In the following video you can see how to change TAB URL :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yPX-ZJ5 ... re=related

----------------------------- Chrome -------------------------------------------------

Open Google Chrome and click on the "wrench" icon:

Click> Settings , choose the option "Open a particular page or set of pages."

Click "Set Pages" on page Babylon and delete from the list.

To change the search engine in Google Chrome, please follow the instructions below:

Open Google Chrome on the "wrench" icon on the right side of the address bar, click:

Settings> Under "Search", click "Manage Search Engines ...".

If you see "Babylon Search" as a standard (default), select please another search engine as the default from (Google, Bing, etc.). Only then will you Babylon You can remove by clicking the little 'X'.

--------------------------------- Internet Explorer (IE) ------------ -------------------------------------

Open your Internet Explorer browser, click on "Tools", then "Internet Options" and in the section "Tabs" click on "Settings". It will open a new window, on the option "When a new tab is opened, open:" in the drop-down menu please choose "Your first homepage". Then click OK, Apply and OK.
patrickjdempsey

Or it would be much simpler if you guys just stopped putting your junk in people's browsers without their permission.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Be much simpler if they were put in jail for putting their junk in people's browsers without permission
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"