Your own theme workshop - for beginners

Discuss application theming and theme development.
ehume

Re: Your own theme workshop - for beginners

Post by ehume »

Although the theme structures have changed, I still use my theme workshop. I still try to maintain nine themes. Having the management collected in one location is enormously easier than having them scattered.
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

There's also a TON of information right in the first few posts not actually covered anywhere else in other threads or any of the "official" documentation that hasn't really changed in ages and is still pertinent.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Cool. Sticky it will stay. :)
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
KLB

Post by KLB »

I was just thinking about this thread and it occurred to me that some of the most experienced theme developers here should get together and volunteer to either write or update (if it exists) a Mozilla Wiki page about theme development. I'm certain the powers to be at Mozilla would be more than happy to see an updated (and comprehensive) theme development documentation. We could also make sure that the documentation was referenced to in all the key places theme developers might go to find such information (e.g. here, Mozilla's addon forums, AMO's developer dashboard etc.). Maybe if there was some good documentation we would see more new themes being posted to AMO as the process of creating a theme might not seem so daunting.
Ken Barbalace - AMO Editor (I focus on reviewing themes)
I maintain Classic Compact, a very compact yet clean Firefox theme.
EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Periodic Table)
ShareBird

Post by ShareBird »

Silvermel - A Theme for Firefox and Thunderbird
YATT - Yet Another Theme Tutorial
Don't give a man a fish. Teach him how to fish instead.
JAKTHERIPPER

Post by JAKTHERIPPER »

So I started from the beginning of this thread to make my own theme, however I am working with v15 of firefox and although I know the tutorial is meant to be helpful, but it didn't. Mozilla now has a Profile folder you have to go through and and there is no chrome folder at all.

If someone can update the tutorial to this version of firefox I would be extremely grateful.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You have to create the Chrome folder if it is not already present. From the Knowledge Base: "Go to your profile folder. Then go to the chrome folder there, creating it if necessary. "
microbots

Post by microbots »

I have problem converting .rar into .xpis. Even if it's the saame file and i extract and them add to archive, firefox says it appears to be corrupt
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

A theme must be installed as a .JAR as .XPI is for extensions only. As far as .RAR goes, that is a completely different format as .JAR and .XPI are basically just renamed .ZIP files.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Time to ask again. Time to lock and start again or not?

Just a note, I would love to see the folks who dropped out get involved again and would love to see new themers.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

LoudNoise wrote:Time to ask again. Time to lock and start again or not?

Unless Ed thinks different, certainly time to unsticky. Even using traditional methods a lot of this stuff is very, very out of date now.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Releasing.
Post wrangler