Im getting popups in Firefox!!!

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Codered

Im getting popups in Firefox!!!

Post by Codered »

Hello! This started about 3 days ago. Iam now getting popups in firefox. my comp is virus free and its been checked for adware

Why am i getting these popups?

Post by Guest »

And where are you getting these?
RabidPenguin

Post by RabidPenguin »

You sure these popups are coming from Firefox and not another program? For instance, AIM will give you popups if your mouse cursor simply passes over some of the ads. You don't have to even click the ad, just pass the cursor over it. If you have scanned with at least one online virus scan and done the usual scan with Spybot and Adaware, and are still certain Firefox is displaying popups from a web page you are visiting please post the url for that page.
Tech Support

Post by Tech Support »

Hello Codered.

Mozilla Firefox has Built in Pop Up Blocking Utilites which Prohibit pop-ups from being displayed in the Firefox browser.
Please Check a Few Things, it is possible one of your Mozilla Firefox 1.0 Settings got changed.

Go To Tools > Options > Web Features

Make Sure the Block Pop Ups box is Checked.
If The box is Checked and you continuesly have these problems please go to http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Per ... ag=lst-0-1 and Download Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition. Also do a Virus Scan and Delete all instances of Virus and Unwanted Programs.

Have a Great Day,
Tech Support.
Mitigator

Post by Mitigator »

Same thing here. Two of our computers connected to the Internet via router have recently experienced pop ups on Firefox as described in the initial posting. One of the PC's had just had a new O/S installed along with all of the requisite firewall, anti-virus and spyware scan utilities. There are no problems on either PC, yet both are experiencing the same problem with occasional pop-ups. Firefox is configured properly and pop-up blocking is enabled.

I'm hoping that this doesn't signal the beginning of a much bigger problem!
RabidPenguin

Post by RabidPenguin »

Mitigator wrote:Same thing here. Two of our computers connected to the Internet via router have recently experienced pop ups on Firefox as described in the initial posting. One of the PC's had just had a new O/S installed along with all of the requisite firewall, anti-virus and spyware scan utilities. There are no problems on either PC, yet both are experiencing the same problem with occasional pop-ups. Firefox is configured properly and pop-up blocking is enabled.

I'm hoping that this doesn't signal the beginning of a much bigger problem!

Do you have an example url of where you get these popups? Maybe a screenshot also if available.
Cain Highwind

Post by Cain Highwind »

I can give you some urls.

I've browsed various sections of Zophar's Domain and VG Museum.

Remember these probably won't work on the main homepage, try visiting the various sections and you'll see what I mean.

I've visited these sites recently and have gotten popups, the hides in the bottom right corner of the screen or just pops up. Yes my computer is clean (I've only gotten popups from, so far, these sites). I think with Firefox and the new IE in SP2, spammers are finding a way to get past the pop-up blockers.

I sure hope there's a solution found to this.
Rebajas

Post by Rebajas »

I get popunders on the VG Museum - I don't generally get any popups using FF.

There are a few external Javascript files included. The first one I looked at was HUGE (42007 bytes) and is called from Falkag; A well known ad provider, I doubt the cause of the problem.

The next one I looked at calls this if the user agent is Firefox and the popup is equal to false:

<code><blockquote>function paypopup(){
if (!poped) {

if(!usingClick) {
popwin = window.open(paypopupURL,'Ads1108379999','scrollbars=1,resizable=1,menubar=1,location=1,top=10000,left=10000,width=1,height=1');
self.focus();
if (popwin) {
poped = true;
}
}
}
if (!poped) {
if (window.Event) document.captureEvents(Event.CLICK);
document.onclick = gopop;
self.focus();
}
}</blockquote></code>

It sort of looks like it is mimicking the click of a button (Event.CLICK) but i'm not sure. The full JS is here:

http://www.paypopup.com/popup.php?id=zt ... 8295&blk=1
Last edited by Rebajas on February 14th, 2005, 4:38 am, edited 5 times in total.
Rebajas

Post by Rebajas »

From the paypopup.com web site:

Q. I am also tracking the stats myself, why there is count discrepancy?
A. Generally, there are some factors that may affect the counting: 1. Internet surfer's connection speed. 2. How the publisher setup their codes. 3. Network issues 4. Pop killer/blocker for popunders. However, popunder's count discrepancy is usually about 15%-45% (due to pop blockers, we have already by passed windows SP2, google toolbar,MSN and norton internet security, we are currently working to by pass Gecko/Firefox,Netscape,Opera,AOL, and others), in-page banner is about 5%-10%, and popin banner/interstitial is about 7-15%. If you are seeing a count discrepancy greater than 25%, please contact our publisher support immediately because that is un-normal.

Q. Can your popunder code by pass pop blockers?
A. Yes, our system is capable of bypassing SP2 and most of the pop-up blocker out there. However there are still some new pop-up blockers that we may not recognize, please inform us those pop-up blockers so we can improve our system.

Post by Guest »

also a site that has a pop-up is www.newscientist.com not all the time...but it appears

Post by Guest »

I just had my first popup using FF today. www.wnd.com
old FatJohn

Post by old FatJohn »

G'Dad

Post by G'Dad »

That's the ticket FatJohn.....no popups from any of the URLs in this thread with Adblock and Filterset G.
RabidPenguin

Post by RabidPenguin »

Adding paypopup.com to my adblock filters takes care of it. Nasty little boogers.

Bug 270867 deals with this issue. You might want to vote for it ;)

Post by Guest »

Blocking 'Mobile code' and Javascript from paypopup in ZoneAlarm Pro also kills the pop-up.......