Shockwave for Director plugin

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
BrooksNYC

Shockwave for Director plugin

Post by BrooksNYC »

Good morning. I'm running Firefox 15.0.1 on WinXP.

Am on my Add-ons Manager > Plugins page, looking over the list of plugins......

Among the disabled plugins are two different versions of "Shockwave for Director." The plugin is described in smaller print as "Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plugin."

1. Why do I have Netscape plugins in Firefox?
2. Seeing as they're disabled (by default, apparently, since I never disabled them), is it possible to uninstall them completely?

For the record the plugin version numbers are 11.6.7.637, and 11.6.5.635.

Thanks very much for your help.
JayhawksRock

Re: Shockwave for Director plugin

Post by JayhawksRock »

Uninstall Shockwave for Director in Windows add / remove programs
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
BrooksNYC

Post by BrooksNYC »

Hi, JayHawks. Thanks for helping me again.

Shockwave for Director is nowhere to be found in Add/Remove Programs. I may uninstall Adobe Shockwave Player, and see if the Director plugins vamoose with it.

I honestly don't get what Netscape plugins are doing on my computer. It's like finding a couple of strange drunks passed out on the kitchen floor.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

There are a number of programs installed in Windows that have included Netscape in the Description of the plugin even though the plugin is current. Just a hangover from the early days. The plugin name itself for most plugins start with np ie; npswf32.dll for Flash np = netscape plugin.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Netscape Plugin Application Programming Interface (NPAPI) is a cross-platform plugin architecture used by many web browsers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NPAPI
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
BrooksNYC

Post by BrooksNYC »

JayhawksRock wrote:There are a number of programs installed in Windows that have included Netscape in the Description of the plugin

Ah, thank you both. That explains the alien Netscape presence.

SO......I uninstalled Adobe Shockwave Player, and the offending Shockwave For Director plugins vanished into the sunset. Adios, campers!

What didn't vanish was the Shockwave Player plugin, which surprised me, since I'd have thought all traces of Shockwave would have disappeared. In any case, I manually removed the plugin, as per these instructions:

http://tinyurl.com/93v3qch

I may end up having to reinstall something, since a couple of sites are telling me that "Additional plugins are required to display all the media on this page." Having evicted the Netscape plugins, it certainly will be humorous if I'm forced to invite them back.

Stay tuned.
Last edited by BrooksNYC on October 1st, 2012, 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

FYI,
The Flash plugin is also referred to as "Shockwave Flash", it should not be confused with the Shockwave plugin that handles "Shockwave for Director" content.

For ref; > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Flash
& note that there are 2 versions.
One for IE, (Active x) & the "plain" one for most everything else.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
BrooksNYC

Post by BrooksNYC »

Thank you, LIMPET, and yes!

What I've learned:

The Shockwave Flash plugin and Adobe Flash Player are not separate entities. I ended up having to reinstall Adobe Flash Player, which installed the Shockwave Flash plugin in Firefox.

The GOOD news is that the Netscape goons haven't returned. Should they stumble onto your lawn, shoot first and ask questions later.

Again, thank you all for your help.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

All web-browsers except for IE use Netscape-style plugins. The Netscape name remains because it's a convention. Also, Firefox is actually descended from Netscape browser code. ;)

I've never understood why Adobe calls their Flash Player plugin Shockwave when every human being on the planet knows it as Flash. Again, weird naming conventions.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
BrooksNYC

Post by BrooksNYC »

patrickjdempsey wrote:The Netscape name remains......Adobe calls their Flash Player plugin Shockwave when every human being on the planet knows it as Flash.

To the above ingredients, add one bewildered old man (hi!), stir briskly, and let the games begin.

There's got to be a simpler solution. Anyone know if you can send and receive email from a Ouija board?
toolz0

Post by toolz0 »

I noticed a serious performance problem after the most recent update to Firefox (27.0.1). Disabling "shockwave for director" fixed the problem.
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

toolz0 wrote:I noticed a serious performance problem after the most recent update to Firefox (27.0.1). Disabling "shockwave for director" fixed the problem.

The most recent version is 28.0. You're missing out on security patches.
http://www.mozilla.org/firefox/all/
https://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/firefox.html

Shockwave for Director only sees small use, primarily for some games and online learning tools. Most people don't need it.
patrickjdempsey wrote:I've never understood why Adobe calls their Flash Player plugin Shockwave when every human being on the planet knows it as Flash.

Macromedia slapped "Shockwave" on all their players to raise their brand profile. Adobe can't very well rename the most popular plug-in on the Internet now, at least not without breaking every plug-in detection script on the web.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Shockwave#Branding_and_name_confusion
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Thanks for your report but you've replied to a thread that's been dead going on two years.

Locking this due to the age of the original posts.