Unable to send emails from TB

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
rvikram278

Unable to send emails from TB

Post by rvikram278 »

Hi,

I am struggling hard to find the issue. I need your help on this.

Lets say my company name is xyz. So my company email id is rvikram@xyz.com. My company guys did not tell me outgoing server name.

After I have configured this email in TB. I am able to RECEIVE emails. But I could not send emails. I am getting below error.

Sending of message failed.
The Kerberos/GSSAPI ticket was not accepted by the SMTP server mail.xyz.com. Please check that you are logged in to the Kerberos/GSSAPI realm.

I also have other GMAILS accounts in the same TB, which are working TOTALLY fine.
tanstaafl

Re: Unable to send emails from TB

Post by tanstaafl »

Are you running a Kereberos client on your PC? The odds are that you accidentally configured the SMTP server to use Kerberos rather than SSL for the secure connection. Usually the same type of secure connection is used for both the POP/IMAP server and the SMTP server.

You also need to find out the name of the SMTP server. If the POP/IMAP server does not have pop or imap in its name, you might be lucky and use the same server name for smtp.
rvikram278

Post by rvikram278 »

tanstaafl wrote:Are you running a Kereberos client on your PC? The odds are that you accidentally configured the SMTP server to use Kerberos rather than SSL for the secure connection. Usually the same type of secure connection is used for both the POP/IMAP server and the SMTP server.

You also need to find out the name of the SMTP server. If the POP/IMAP server does not have pop or imap in its name, you might be lucky and use the same server name for smtp.

When I entered the name, email id. The other default values are as below, in the window.

IMAP button is checked

Incoming: IMAP, mail.xyz.com, STARTTLS
Outgoing: SMTP, mail.xyz.com, STARTTLS
username rvikram

Error that i have got when I am trying to send an email:-

The Kerberos/GSSAPI ticket was not accepted by the SMTP server mail.xyz.com. Please check that you are logged in to the Kerberos/GSSAPI realm.
rvikram278

Post by rvikram278 »

tanstaafl wrote:Are you running a Kereberos client on your PC? The odds are that you accidentally configured the SMTP server to use Kerberos rather than SSL for the secure connection. Usually the same type of secure connection is used for both the POP/IMAP server and the SMTP server.

I have changed the settings at the OUTGOING settings..Now I am getting the below error.

The message could not be sent because the connection to SMTP server mail.xyz.com timed out. Try again or contact your network administrator.
rvikram278

Post by rvikram278 »

Can some one please help me on this..I would really appreciate all your help!!!!!

I hate using OUTLOOK webapp...and I like ThunderBird...if possible, could some one please take the control of my system...your help would be highly appreciated .....

Thanks again!!!!!!
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

If you can find out what settings to use for any email client we can help you map that to what settings to use in Thunderbird. Without that information how do you expect us to be able to help you?

One solution might be to ask your IT dept to help you setup and get working whatever email client they officially support (using IMAP). Then you can either use that information to configure Thunderbird, or try importing the settings using tools -> import.
rvikram278

Post by rvikram278 »

tanstaafl wrote:If you can find out what settings to use for any email client we can help you map that to what settings to use in Thunderbird. Without that information how do you expect us to be able to help you?

One solution might be to ask your IT dept to help you setup and get working whatever email client they officially support (using IMAP). Then you can either use that information to configure Thunderbird, or try importing the settings using tools -> import.

Thanks a million for your reply. Currently I should be able to log-into that mail, using MACBOOK MAIL program, iPhone Mail Program, Through web link, Through Microsoft-Out look.

Please see the email from my IT department with all details:-

You can check email via the following:

1) E-Mail Webpage

a) You can access your email here: https://mail.xyz.com/owa

b) Use your username/password

2) Via the Terminal server:

a) Open Outlook, it should autodiscover all the settings, if it fails you can point it at abcmail02.office.corp

3) Mobile access options for iPhone/Android if you need them:

a. Server: mail.xyz.com (use SSL)

b. Username: rvikram

c. Domain: (if asked) office.corp (OFFICE\ rvikram)

Thanks!!!
rvikram278

Post by rvikram278 »

Could some one please help......Your help would be greatly appreciated......thanks a million in advance...!
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

STARTTLS is not the same thing as SSL/TLS. Did you ever try SSL/TLS?

Just to be clear do you have problems with both the IMAP and SMTP server, or just the SMTP server? I assume from the /owa reference you're using some type of Exchange server, so you might not be able to get useful settings from Outlook since it will use either ExtendedMAPI or Exchange Web Services (EWS) rather than IMAP/SMTP servers.
rvirkam278

Post by rvirkam278 »

tanstaafl wrote:STARTTLS is not the same thing as SSL/TLS. Did you ever try SSL/TLS?

Just to be clear do you have problems with both the IMAP and SMTP server, or just the SMTP server? I assume from the /owa reference you're using some type of Exchange server, so you might not be able to get useful settings from Outlook since it will use either ExtendedMAPI or Exchange Web Services (EWS) rather than IMAP/SMTP servers.

Yepp..I tried using SSL/TLS. When I go to my outgoing server settings..the settings are as mentioned below:-

Description: <not Specified1>
ServerName: mail.xyz.com
port: 465
username: OFFICE\rvikram
Authentication Mode: Normal Password
Connection Security: SSL/TLS

Please advice me to be able to send messages through ThunderBird.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Try port 587 too.
rvikram278

Post by rvikram278 »

tanstaafl wrote:Try port 587 too.

tried...no luck dude...

would you mind take a look at my settings please........my personal email id is rvikram278@gmail.com.....I can drop my phone number, if you could send a test mail....

I really loved the mozilla Thunderbird...and unable use this.....Hope you having a great day!!!!