Unusual Two Instances of Thunderbird

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
asfdasfdasdf

Re: Unusual Two Instances of Thunderbird

Post by asfdasfdasdf »

Thanks, this worked.

jivago_rey wrote:Hey I fixed it! In fact, there's only 1 instance of Thunderbird but two windows who try to proceed at the same time at startup.

I noticed there was 2x "MinimizeToTray Plus" icons in the taskbar. MinimizeToTray Plus doesn't exit the program so it is impossible to really get rid of that second window... Here's what I did ;

1. Disable "MinimizeToTray Plus" in menu "Tools/Add-Ons/"
2. Exit Thunderbird (Be sure that the process is not running)
3. Open Thunderbird (In my case, I had the same two windows problem the first time)
4. Now Thunderbird runs without the MinimizeToTray Plus add-on.
5. Close one of the window.
6. Re-enable your "MinimizeToTray Plus" add-on
7. Exit and restart

Voilà!

Somewhere in the registry I guess, the software remembered it has two Windows and MinimizeToTray Plus prevented me (the user) to close one of these. Hope it will work for you guys.
zetaseeker

Post by zetaseeker »

Marcollin wrote:Found an easier cure: simply choose «file-close» to close one of the windows.

I had the problem, due to minimise to tray, and this is the best solution for it; be sure to choose 'file':'close' and not 'file':'exit'.

Good job!
Onthaarab

Post by Onthaarab »

Works like a charm!

Thanks Jivago_rey
tziloarca

Post by tziloarca »

Excellent work for me. Thank you very much.
pbalog

Post by pbalog »

Same here, but I don't have "MinimizeToTray Plus" add-on!
I was get multiple (two) windows in the legal way (with one TB v11.0.1 instance/process): right click on the "Calendar" tab > "Move to New Window" (or any folder open to new tab and after move to new window).
The 2 windows worked for me great, and I was happy, until I don"t want to use 2 window, I want back one. Now, when I every time started (or restarted) the TB I get two windows...if I close one, it closed the another window too (because there is one instance).
How could I reset this situation?
pbalog

Post by pbalog »

pbalog wrote:Same here, but I don't have "MinimizeToTray Plus" add-on!
I was get multiple (two) windows in the legal way (with one TB v11.0.1 instance/process): right click on the "Calendar" tab > "Move to New Window" (or any folder open to new tab and after move to new window).
The 2 windows worked for me great, and I was happy, until I don"t want to use 2 window, I want back one. Now, when I every time started (or restarted) the TB I get two windows...if I close one, it closed the another window too (because there is one instance).
How could I reset this situation?

Finally I solved! I disabled my all add-ons one-by-one, but problem was the same. Then I restarted in safe mode...after this i get only one window.
I couldn't reproduce the problem the written way...strange, but I am glad now.
gilbert123

Post by gilbert123 »

Thank you!
jawad

Post by jawad »

Good . . . worked for me
GratefulMT

Post by GratefulMT »

Man, can't thank you enough for this simple fix, I've been bashing my head for a while now!
want_to_thank

Post by want_to_thank »

jivago_rey thank you! Worked like a charm!
Dealex32

Post by Dealex32 »

Works also for Thunderbird 14.0 under Ubuntu 11.04
fofonwang

Post by fofonwang »

Works on my problem! Really thanks!

Post by Guest »

Muito obrigado!
Eu também possuía este problema e consegui resolver
Moerby

Post by Moerby »

zetaseeker wrote:
Marcollin wrote:Found an easier cure: simply choose «file-close» to close one of the windows.

I had the problem, due to minimise to tray, and this is the best solution for it; be sure to choose 'file':'close' and not 'file':'exit'.

Thanks, this is the only thing that worked for me. I disabled ALL my add-ons, restarted Thunderbird, and it still opened twice. I tried enabling/disabling add-ons selectively too. File > Exit would always close both windows, and both would open again when I restarted TB.

I then tried File > Close on the extra window and it worked!

It's unbelievable that this issue still exists ... I see posts dating as far back as 2008 with the same problem. ](*,)
PJ001

Post by PJ001 »

The Mozilla link near the beginning of this thread suggests deleting the 'session.json' file in the Thunderbird profile.
That's what I did, and it worked for me.