Phoenix needs a new name

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
djnr

Post by djnr »

I could feel pretty good about Firebird for all the above reasons. My new pet suggestion is "Volksbrowser."

~djnr
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

djnrempel gets the award for best personal picture. I love that picture...

Wish I could say the same about the name recommendation...
djnr

Post by djnr »

Thanks for the award. I like yours too. Hey lets start a new thread where we congratulate each other on how great we are.
I wasn't serious about Volksbrowser, I was just inspred by Volgenzaeng and the fact that this is a "browser for the people".
I'm starting to lean toward Firebird. It keeps coming back, and no one has made any convincing arguments against it. We can nickame it Phoenix, it means the same thing, goes well with thunderbird, etc. etc. And others won't have to change their phoenix avatars, unless they want to be cool like me and apollo...
../frank

Post by ../frank »

I really like both your avatars. Apollo's looks like Dave from 2001. djnrempel's looks like a 1950s photo of Johnny Carson. :P

... looking in my saved images to see if I can find something better than an Anole eating an MSN butterflii^H^Hy
../frank
My avatar cat, Mr. Gary Gray, passed away on 17 Oct 2013. RIP Gary! :cry:
pftpft

Post by pftpft »

Fuzor, Fuzer, Phuzor
Short - describes what it does.
Has an F (Ph) and a z.
Plenty of url's available.

Echo is cool.
Ted Mielczarek

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

djnrempel wrote:Thanks for the award. I like yours too. Hey lets start a new thread where we congratulate each other on how great we are.
I wasn't serious about Volksbrowser, I was just inspred by Volgenzaeng and the fact that this is a "browser for the people".
I'm starting to lean toward Firebird. It keeps coming back, and no one has made any convincing arguments against it. We can nickame it Phoenix, it means the same thing, goes well with thunderbird, etc. etc. And others won't have to change their phoenix avatars, unless they want to be cool like me and apollo...

http://firebird.sourceforge.net/

Is that convincing enough? It's a shame, I would have liked it.
asa

Post by asa »

Ted Mielczarek wrote:
http://firebird.sourceforge.net/

Is that convincing enough? It's a shame, I would have liked it.

What does a relational database have to do with a web browser. Trademark law says that there has to be customer confusion before you have a problem. The chances of someone confusing a web browser and a relational database are about as slim as someone confusing a loaf of bread and a bananna.

--Asa
nrm

Post by nrm »

Since I posted "magpie" the following options have been floated, here's
a list and some comments.

Echo. This is also an el-cheapo Toyota car.

Mojo. What about the people who haven't seen Austin Powers?

Firebird.

Magpie.

Mariner. This is a nice name, but the problem with it is that it's reminiscent of
Netscape 4.x. That browser was once advanced, but everyone knows that it
now stinks. Netscape didn't go back to the old N-symbol for no reason.

Swoop. What does this mean?

Pteryx. It's well established that if someone can't say a word, they won't
remember it. Call us all stupid. Why did Jennifer Aniston and Kirk Douglas
change their names - for that reason.

Phozilla, Flashzilla, Firezilla. These are just geek-speak names and the
wider community won't understand.

Apollo. This is the name of a computer. Ok, it's an old one, but do you want
your browser called the Amiga?

Gecko.

Columbus. This reminds me of the Navigator 4.x problem again. Got to stay away
from that worthy but ancient browser.

Filo. Sounds like a soccer team or some kind of hi-fi system.

Equinox. I think this names great! Somebody convince me that the average
person knows what an equinox is, though. Can non-English speakers
say it?

In my opinion, that leaves Firebird, Magpie, Gecko and Equinox.

- Nigel.
Nigel McFarlane - Analysis, Programming, Writing.
djnr

Post by djnr »

I agree, except you left out Athena. Not sure why some people don't like it, except that it's not kewl or 1337 enough. It's a powerful, beautiful name in my mind. But I like the other ones you trimmed it down to as well.

I don't think we can use Gecko though - its the name of the rendering engine that Phoenix uses, and shares with other browsers. This would be confusing, and I'm guessing the other gecko-based browsers wouldn't like it.

That said, there are probably in the millions of software programs on the Internet. Considering that the english speaker has a vocabulary of about 20,000 words, that means every word on average has about 50 pieces of software using it as a name. I'm sure that logic is flawed somewhat but you get the point. Simply pointing to another piece of software using the name doesn't disqualify it as a new name for Phoenix. Gecko is too close though.
nobody2234

Post by nobody2234 »

djnrempel wrote:That said, there are probably in the millions of software programs on the Internet. Considering that the english speaker has a vocabulary of about 20,000 words, that means every word on average has about 50 pieces of software using it as a name. I'm sure that logic is flawed somewhat but you get the point.

Hahahaha.

I love athena to. I delved more into how easily we could use it here: http://www.mozillazine.org/forums/viewt ... 8&start=90
flii

Post by flii »

djnrempel wrote:I agree, except you left out Athena. Not sure why some people don't like it, except that it's not kewl or 1337 enough. It's a powerful, beautiful name in my mind.

this is why i don't like it, from a post i made on another thread:

<snip>
i've tried thinking of phoenix as athena, and i just can't do it. there are no programs out there named "bob" or "jake" or "triton" or "zeus" (programs, not games) that are very popular. i can't think of any being named after girls, either. while i think it's great people are trying to think of women when renaming phoenix, athena sounds very weird to me, and i would never associate it with phoenix. i read and kept up with the whole phoenix rename thread and saw the long-winded explanation of why this name fits, but i just can't see the name fitting realistically. :( it rolls off my tongue as something like a tv show would have, like the princess xena series. i can't fit it with a browser.
</snip>

another person suggested "scamp" Standards-Compliant And Multi-Platform. i don't know about the rest of you, but i like this. from the other names i've seen, firebird is the best imo. but sorry, i just can't do athena. it's a tv show yet to be made.
Radiowriter

Post by Radiowriter »

Call me wacky, but Xena isn't a bad name at all! Fact is, there have been a lot of good suggestions. I'd think it would be difficult to choose.
Sarcasm - Another service I offer.
Firefox 3.0 :: XP
nobody2234

Post by nobody2234 »

Flii wrote:this is why i don't like it, blah blah blah

All legit reasons. Everyone has their own personal reasons for liking each name. We will not make everyone happy. The goal is to make some happy, find a name the others can accept, and piss a few hundred off in the process. It might be you, or it might be me, but not everyone is gonna be happy with the name.
flii

Post by flii »

badrad wrote:The goal is to make some happy, find a name the others can accept, and piss a few hundred off in the process. It might be you, or it might be me, but not everyone is gonna be happy with the name.

i know. if that name does turn out to be the chosen new name, i won't stop using phoenix. hopefully the new name will please more than it will offend, and like everyone else, i'll continue to hope the new name is something that doesn't leave me cold. *shrug* i still like scamp. :-P the more i think about it the more i like it. however, i know some people won't. *sigh* i will agree with another poster (forgot which thread) and say i wish the developers would just choose one. the waiting is horrible.
insaNity

Post by insaNity »

mozillalite would be fine with me - since it continues to be based on mozilla, and people would instantly know what it is at least. *shrug*