Firefox's Metro App version? (released sticky)

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
pal-moz

Re: Firefox's Metro App version?

Post by pal-moz »

Firefox Metro Preview for Windows 8 (Mozilla Official Blog)
[Desktop] Windows 7 Professional (32bit/SP1) / Geforce GTX 660Ti 2GB (350.12) / 4GB RAM
RadiusK

Post by RadiusK »

Lotusgg wrote:
lvthunder wrote:I got it installed and got the new icon. The problem is when I click the icon the new style splash screen comes up then it dumps me back to the start screen.

same here :C

I had exactly the same problem, but I managed to 'fix' it.

I think there is a problem in how Firefox sets itself as default browser, or maybe how Windows 8 handles this for Firefox. I managed to solve the problem by doing both of the following steps (not sure if both necessary or in which order it should be done, but here they are):
(0. Make sure the Firefox Metro app is closed first, this might interfere.)
1. Open Windows 8 Default program manager and set Nightly as default program. (Press right mouse button in the bottom left corner -> Control Panel -> Search for "default" in the upper right -> Open "Set default programs" -> Locate Nightly and set everything it as default)
2. Start Nigthly desktop and set it as default by using the options screen. (Options -> Advanced -> Set as default, this button is not visible if it already is the default, but it wasn't in my case).

Hope this helps, let me know if it did :).

-RadiusK
FedeFavale

Post by FedeFavale »

I saw that many of us are unable to even star firefox, I think the problem is with installing a firefox version of 32bits in a system of 64bits, but I'm not sure if the problem is there
Please could someone confirm?

Sorry for my English
wojtekka

Post by wojtekka »

Fede_1993 wrote:I saw that many of us are unable to even star firefox, I think the problem is with installing a firefox version of 32bits in a system of 64bits, but I'm not sure if the problem is there

Sorry for my English

Not true. I have installed firefox x86 from elm branch on win8 rtm x64 pro and it works well as metro and in normal mode. No problems with installation and using.

*EDIT* But it is not usable at this stage now. Can't scroll with mouse etc.
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

Mouse scrolling works for me with today's update.
FedeFavale

Post by FedeFavale »

wojtekka wrote:
Fede_1993 wrote:I saw that many of us are unable to even star firefox, I think the problem is with installing a firefox version of 32bits in a system of 64bits, but I'm not sure if the problem is there

Sorry for my English

Not true. I have installed firefox x86 from elm branch on win8 rtm x64 pro and it works well as metro and in normal mode. No problems with installation and using.

*EDIT* But it is not usable at this stage now. Can't scroll with mouse etc.

ok, I will be checking it
thanks!
wojtekka

Post by wojtekka »

KWierso wrote:Mouse scrolling works for me with today's update.

Ye, but it's very slowly one line by line for me
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

If you go to about:config and filter for scroll, you should be able to increase the scrolling speed.
wojtekka

Post by wojtekka »

I'm not sure which setting you mean? Also any idea how to import locationbar history from classic to metro? Thanks
Lotusgg

Post by Lotusgg »

RadiusK wrote:
Lotusgg wrote:
lvthunder wrote:I got it installed and got the new icon. The problem is when I click the icon the new style splash screen comes up then it dumps me back to the start screen.

same here :C

I had exactly the same problem, but I managed to 'fix' it.

I think there is a problem in how Firefox sets itself as default browser, or maybe how Windows 8 handles this for Firefox. I managed to solve the problem by doing both of the following steps (not sure if both necessary or in which order it should be done, but here they are):
(0. Make sure the Firefox Metro app is closed first, this might interfere.)
1. Open Windows 8 Default program manager and set Nightly as default program. (Press right mouse button in the bottom left corner -> Control Panel -> Search for "default" in the upper right -> Open "Set default programs" -> Locate Nightly and set everything it as default)
2. Start Nigthly desktop and set it as default by using the options screen. (Options -> Advanced -> Set as default, this button is not visible if it already is the default, but it wasn't in my case).

Hope this helps, let me know if it did :).

-RadiusK

My FF already was all-default and still not working.
I just hate it, being unable to use it when everyone else does.

Edit:
roaming around in the internets, found a blog where ~everyone~ on comments is having the same issue. link above
http://www.brianbondy.com/blog/id/153/m ... s-update-8
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

So, since you are using a Nightly testing build and you are supposed to be testing, have you filed a bug on it?
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Yeah, he did. I saw that bug not too long ago.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=797990
arkling

Firefox metro UI does not work

Post by arkling »

Hi all,

I have installed the lastest Firefox metro on windows 8 RTM. I have already set it as my default browser. However, still I can only open the desktop version firefox. I can not see the Metro Firefox icon on the start page either.

Is there a minimum requirement for the screen resolution? Mine is 1280x800.

Thanks.

ark
pal-moz

Re: Firefox metro UI does not work

Post by pal-moz »

maybe minimum size is 1366×768
[Desktop] Windows 7 Professional (32bit/SP1) / Geforce GTX 660Ti 2GB (350.12) / 4GB RAM
J.Sax

Re: Firefox metro UI does not work

Post by J.Sax »

It works fine for me at 1280x800. However, my brother is having issues where it will display the splash screen and then go back to the start screen. I had the same issue with older builds, but it started working a couple of weeks ago. Very strange.