Can't access some sites?

Closed Forum
jareha

Post by jareha »

<off-topic class="somewhat">For you Linux users: if a site is blocked entirely by its setup to all non-IE users, how do you go about going about your business? This question more applies for those sites which are vital.</off-topic>

<< Jonathan
scragz

Post by scragz »

jareha wrote:<off-topic class="somewhat">For you Linux users: if a site is blocked entirely by its setup to all non-IE users, how do you go about going about your business? This question more applies for those sites which are vital.</off-topic>

<< Jonathan

Wine?

There's always some alternative to a site and if there isn’t, then you write a nice long email to the company explaining that their arrogance has completely disallowed you from using their site.
Dunderklumpen

Post by Dunderklumpen »

rlswine wrote:I'm the original "poster". I downloaded and installed each of the UA spoofing extensions. Still no access to the "flipdog" site. (See also post from Neil Parks above - Same results with "all" of the alternate "spoofing" protocols.)
I have also sent an e-mail to FlipDog indicating my disappointment and chagrine over not being able to access their site with Mozilla Firebird. I have not received any response from their support team.

In most cases UA spoofing does not work since the actuall site most likely have choosen to use ActiveX or any other technique that is "I.E only" and since that browser have 93-97% of the users lazy webmaster thinks "I don´t care about the rest". But what they also do no care about is standards and the fact that their site is not created according to html 4.01 or any other W3-document.

rlswine wrote:Thank you all for your interest.

Incidentally, how often is a scenario like this going to occur should I choose Mozilla to be my browser of choice. Nosebleed above indicated >Believe me, there are tons of sites that block Mozilla!< How true is that?

This mostly, or often, happens with sites a bit more complicated than the ususal site and a site with more services - such a bank, a financial service and so on....and then we have all the nice sites created with Frontpage and that uses Microsofts server extensions but that´s another subject :-) and another debate. The main argument is that the sites are not developed and designed according to standards when it in fact is not that hard to do the work right.

I build sites and develope internet and intranet solutions and the simple way is to design and develope everything under Mozilla or Mozilla Firebird then adjust some small matters and you have a site that is in accordance with standards and that works with most webbrowsers.

Post by Guest »

I am newer than anyone at this. Is this the same problem?-- below is the address and below that is their text explaining what I need to do if I were in IE or Netscape. What should I do in Firebird?--

http://www.citibank.co.jp/en/b_svc/ct_d ... id.html#04

Recommended Environment

Microsoft Windows 95/98/Me/NT 4.0/2000/XP
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.01 or later
- Netscape 6.1

Macintosh OS8.1or later
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.1(for OS8.1 - 9.x)or 5.2 (for OS X)
- Netscape 6.1

Browser Settings

Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0

1. Enable JavaScript.
(1) Select "Tool" from the menu bar.
(2) Select "Internet Options" from the "View" menu.
(3) Select the "Security" tab from "Internet Options."
(4) Select "Custom" from "Security Level of This Zone" of "Internet Zone."
(5) Next, click the "Settings" button located to the right of "Custom."
(6) Check "Enable" for "Active Scripting" and "Scripting of Java applets" in "Security Setting Screen."
(7) Click the "OK" button at the bottom.

2. Set SSL v3.0.
(2) Select "Internet Options" from the "View" menu.
(3) Select the "Advanced" tab from "Internet Options."
(4) Check "SSL 3.0" in "Security" on the "Advanced" screen.
(5) Click the "OK" button at the bottom.

3. Set "Accept Cookies."
(2) Select "Internet Options" from the "Privacy" menu.
(3) Select the "Advanced" tab from "Internet Options."
(4) Check "Always Accept Cookies" in "Cookies" on the "Advanced" screen.

Netscape Navigator/Communicator

1. Enable JavaScript.
(1) Select "Edit" from the menu bar.
(2) Select "Preferences".
(3) On the "Preferences" screen, select "Advanced" from "Category" located on the left.
(4) On the "Advanced" screen, check "Enable JavaScript."

2. Set SSL v3.0.
(1) Select "Window" or "Communicator" from the menu bar.
(2) Select "Security Information" from the menu.
(3) Select "Navigator" in the left column of the "Security Information("Tool" for Netscape 4.5x)" screen.
(4) On the "Navigator" screen, check "Enable SSL v3.0" in "Advanced Security (SSL) Setting."
(5) To set SSL v3.0 settings, click the "SSL v3.0 Setting" button on the right.
(6) On the next screen, check all items except "No encryption on MD5 MAC."
(7) Click the "OK" button at the bottom.

3. Set "Accept Cookies."
(1) Select "Edit" from the menu bar.
(2) Select "Preferences" from the "Edit" menu.
(3) On the "Preferences" screen, select "Advanced" from "Category" located on the left.
(4) On the "Advanced" screen, check "Accept All Cookies" of "Cookies."
old Neil Parks

Post by old Neil Parks »

Anonymous wrote:I am newer than anyone at this. Is this the same problem?-- below is the address and below that is their text explaining what I need to do if I were in IE or Netscape. What should I do in Firebird?--

Under Tools/Options/Advanced/Security there are three options. Check them all. That should be all you need.

Re: Can't access some sites?

Post by Guest »

rlswine wrote:Mozilla Firebird newbie!!
Some web sites won't load completely. See accompanying url (which I access with IE on a daily basis) with apparent explanation. What can I do to access with Firebird?

http://www.flipdog.com/index.html (Has explanation?)
for this previous address no problem. I use W95, java JRE 1.4.0

http://www.flipdog.com/js/loc.html;jses ... stid=52204 (This one only loads partially!)