Add-ons Manager Hilite [Thunderbird & Legacy]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.

Re: [Ext] Add-ons Manager Hilite

Post by avatar.ds »

Hi!

I'm hacking the Addons Manager Dialog Returns addon and a user has brought to my attention that our addons are incompatible at the moment. I have a tiny patch for your addon that seems to be sufficient to correct this. Please advise if you would be willing to include it in you add-on and how this can be done. It's just 9 continuous lines of code that should be inserted into one of the javascript files.

Cheers!
custom.firefox.lady

Post by custom.firefox.lady »

I was unable to respond to avatar.ds's offer due to illness. He has since added a patch to the dev channel version of Add-ons Manager Dialog Returns. Much appreciated.
custom.firefox.lady

Addons Manager Hilite 1.1a1 is now available at AMO all-versions page.

Changes since 1.0:
* Enhancement (Win/OSX): Make styling of optional autocomplete listbox (menulist of add-ons) more similar to that of the Search box in default theme.
* Fixed: If number of installed extensions (or userstyles, etc.) are less than 35 and the window is not very tall, some items may not fit into list and the only way to access them is to resize the window. Unless you're using a very tiny window, this issue should no longer occur.
* Note that fix above may result in somewhat less add-ons appearing in list before scrollbar appears. If you always use a sufficiently tall window and thus avoid encountering this bug, you may restore the old behavior by setting

Code: Select all

extensions.addonsmgrhilte@cfl.extraRows
to true in about:config (takes effect next time you open Add-ons Manager)

Note that this is an alpha. Styling fix untested on OSX. Reports of whether it looks okay (and more similar to the Search Box appearance) on OSX desired and much appreciated. Styling may not blend well with some themes/userstyles that change the Add-on Manager's appearance. Comments and problem reports welcome.
custom.firefox.lady

Addons Manager Hilite Version 1.1 has been released. (Originally intended to contain additional changes; released early due to included compatibility fix for Firefox 15.)

Changes since 1.0:
* Improved Firefox 15 compatibility (issue with keyboard usage of add-on selection listbox)
* Enable add-on selection by usage of 'down arrow' while typing into autocompleting add-on listbox
* Enhancement (Win/OSX): Make styling of optional add-on selection listbox more similar to that of the Search Box.
* Fixed: If number of installed extensions (or userstyles, etc.) are less than 35 and the window is not very tall, some items may not fit into list and the only way to access them is to resize the window. Unless you're using a very tiny window, this issue should no longer occur. (See note in previous post if you prefer to revert this change.)
* 'Sort Alphabetically Only' option now takes effect immediately rather than next time Add-ons Manager is opened.
* Minor cosmetic fix to Options panel (Input field for entering 'Listbox Size' made smaller)
custom.firefox.lady

Addons Manager Hilite 2.0b1 is now available for testing.

Changes since 1.1:
* No longer requires restart to install/uninstall. (If you have a prior version installed and enabled, a restart will be required to uninstall that previous version.)
* Fixed: Newly installed restartless Add-ons should be immediately added to optional 'Show Add-ons' listbox
* Compatible with Add-ons Manager Dialog Returns version 1.2.1
* 'Show Add-ons' listbox now defaults to enabled (can be changed via 'Options').
* Improvements to appearance/useability of Options section. ('Autocomplete Listbox Size' should be disabled when 'Show Add-ons' listbox is unselected. 'Instant-apply' changes; remove 'Apply' button. 'Sort Alphabetically Only' takes effect immediately rather than next time Add-ons Manager is opened. Fixed 2px jump of page when 'Show Select Add-on List' is enabled/disabled.)
* Drop support for versions of Firefox/Thunderbird prior to 15 (enables removal of workaround for bug in previous versions)

I've gotten numerous compatibility reports about the 'Show Add-ons' listbox not appearing. Apparently people are not noticing the Option to turn it on. Made it on-by-default in this version; just turn it off via Options if you don't want it.

The fix for newly installed restartless add-ons being added to the listbox has not yet been tested with userstyles; if a Stylish user could test/report on that, it would be appreciated.
mod_wastrel

Post by mod_wastrel »

It would be nice if it worked with the new Cockpit Home Page extension (for displaying the listbox, sorting alphabetically, etc). Thanks.
;) mozillaZine is not Mozilla; just as Godzilla is not God. Neither is Mozilla God... they just think they are (what's that about:mozilla?).
Hey, Mozilla... are you sure you wish to do this? (bug 1121291)
custom.firefox.lady

mod_wastrel wrote:It would be nice if it worked with the new Cockpit Home Page extension (for displaying the listbox, sorting alphabetically, etc). Thanks.

What version of Addons Manager Hilite are you using? Testing briefly, Cockpit Home Page seems to work fine with Addons Manager Hilite 2.0b1 (currently on the development channel). Do read the release notes and known issue before installing, if you decide to test.
mod_wastrel

Post by mod_wastrel »

I'm using the latest one at AMO--1.1--which I installed a while back (haven't looked at your beta yet).
;) mozillaZine is not Mozilla; just as Godzilla is not God. Neither is Mozilla God... they just think they are (what's that about:mozilla?).
Hey, Mozilla... are you sure you wish to do this? (bug 1121291)
custom.firefox.lady

Announcement: Addons Manager Hilite 2.0b2 is now available for testing.

Changes since 2.0b1:
* Fixed: Updating a restartless add-on results in duplicate item in listbox

* Added: (about:config) option

extensions.addonsmgrhilte@cfl.showVersion
when set to true will show add-on's version number in dropdown listbox (takes effect next time Add-ons Manager is opened)

* Added: (about:config) option

extensions.addonsmgrhilte@cfl.updatedSort
when set to true will sort by last updated instead of alpha

Known issue: If upgrade from b1 to b2 is done w/ AoM open, Addons Manager Hilite will initially be listed twice in the (optional) listbox after the upgrade, but will be corrected next time Add-ons Manager is opened. This is due to bug in b1, so only affects b1 to b2 upgrade, not e.g. 1.1 to 2.0.

Notes :
The (about:config) updatedSort and showVersion options are currently considered experimental, and may be added to the UI in a future version.

Sort by Last installed has been requested multiple times. Last updated sort would seem more useful to me, but if users need last installed instead, let me know why that would be preferred.

Please report any bugs you might find; thanks.
custom.firefox.lady

Announcement: Addons Manager Hilite 2.0b4 is now available for testing.

Changes since 2.0b3:
* Support the new 'Services' category (Fx22+ only)
* [OSX] Drop prefix on -moz-linear-gradient as done in Bug 771975
* Drop support for Firefox (Gecko) versions prior to 16

(2.0b3 fixed some minor issues when enabling/disabling add-on and improved compatibility with Add-ons Manager Dialog Returns)

Please report any bugs you might find; thanks.
avada

Post by avada »

Great extension!
Now I don't have the downloads section opening. And I can view addon details and go back to where I was on the list. (Epic fail that it doesn't work by default)

I hope suggestions/requests are welcome because I have some: Make sorting buttons available in normal view and remember the sorted state.
A long time the addon manager had those buttons (name, last update, maybe others), but they decided to remove it. So now if I want the addons sorted by last update (Which is most of the time, since current issues are almost always related to the newest updates) I have to search for the space character (searching brings up the sorting ability) and then sort, which is ridiculous.

It kind of half does it already, because it remembers the searches but not how it was sorted. (Although because searching es performed the addons manager opens slowly)

I might have overjudged the extensions capabilities because I used undo closed tab when I tested it. :)
custom.firefox.lady

avada wrote:I hope suggestions/requests are welcome because I have some: Make sorting buttons available in normal view and remember the sorted state.

Sure suggestions are always welcome. I'll add your request to my list of possible future enhancements. I agree sorting buttons would be nice, but not sure whether I'll add it to this extension. I think I may have seen another add-on that does this, but I can't remember for certain. (I don't think it was on AMO.) So you might want to ask around. If you mostly want the add-ons sorted by update, perhaps you could try setting (in about:config)

extensions.addonsmgrhilte@cfl.updatedSort
to true and then use Addons Manager Hilite's listbox for an alphabetical listing of add-ons.
avada wrote:A long time the addon manager had those buttons (name, last update, maybe others), but they decided to remove it. So now if I want the addons sorted by last update (Which is most of the time, since current issues are almost always related to the newest updates) I have to search for the space character (searching brings up the sorting ability) and then sort, which is ridiculous.

Ridiculous, perhaps, but a slick trick. I remember those sort buttons getting removed; didn't realize they were still available in Search (which I rarely use).
avada

Post by avada »

Great. Also, thanks for the tip!
bugblatter

Post by bugblatter »

Thanks for the extension. Before finding it, I was trying to do this for myself, but couldn't come even close. I just want to mention a couple of very minor bugs. I'm using Firefox 25 on Windows XP.

First, if you turn off the option for the Addons autocomplete listbox (say if you wanted a minimalist interface), the extension seems to fail to select the current extension intermittently. I could open the Addons Manager in a tab 10 times, and nothing would be selected say 5 times, while the other 5 times the correct extension would be selected. If I turn on the listbox, it succeeds 10 out of 10 times. Perhaps (just a guess) there is some kind of race condition where creating the listbox gives more time for the addons manager to fully load.

Second, when you look at the 'Show More Information' page of the extension itself, the description text is formatted apparently to a width of only 20 characters per line. Besides make it harder to read, it forces you to scroll down the page to see or access the options. Just want to mention it.
custom.firefox.lady

bugblatter wrote:Thanks for the extension...
Quite welcome.

bugblatter wrote:First, if you turn off the option for the Addons autocomplete listbox (say if you wanted a minimalist interface), the extension seems to fail to select the current extension intermittently...
I found several bugs, one of which applies only when that listbox is disabled (some initialization is not getting run). Would you be willing to try a beta build with these fixes to see if that solves your issue? I should have one ready soon.

bugblatter wrote:Second, when you look at the 'Show More Information' page of the extension itself, the description text is formatted apparently to a width of only 20 characters per line....
I have no idea what could be triggering that; will investigate that issue at some future time.